Y-Wing Building

It's not a dilemma... Once again help the few find what WE need as the rest has been positively identified already. Then we would be more than happy to help with other parts. Why fart
icon9.gif
around when the HARD to identify parts remain unidentified?

mystery1.jpg

268b.jpg

Flat out do not have enough GOOD reference of the upper inner neck. Camera always seems to wash out the details.
structure.jpg

100_0044g.jpg

mysteryA.jpg

mysteryB.jpg

Hexagon in shape, suspect a gas cap from a large scale bike.
Note the key like hole in the center and the small hinge.
parts2.jpg

msp37.jpg

msp17.jpg

100_0044copy.jpg

Y2.jpg

Picture072.jpg

StudioScaleModels362.jpg

Y-WING4nb.jpg

SW_Y-wing113.jpg

4592.jpg

And again dead on:
4593.jpg

Ignore the two strips of "T" rod on the top,they are not apart of the donor part.
StudioScaleModels575s.jpg

Currently 53( and counting
icon_sick.gif
) individual donor kits have been found.
So far the following manufacturers have had parts for the Y.
AURORA
AIRFIX
AMT
BANDAI
ERTL
ESCI
FUJIMI
HASSEGAWA
MONOGRAM
NICHIMO
NITTO
REVELL
TAMIYA

Has any one seen the cockpit tub from the Tamiya 1/12 Marlboro M23?

I don't know why everyone ignores the post Idid for the belly of the neck the front to parts are from the SEALAB
I will scan the parts in and post here

ok look at this IMO I beleive that both are from the sealab
the square part in front of the locker has all the right detail the ridge down the center and the rim around as well as a fine mesh in the center not to mention the spacing og the two parts IE the length of the locker on each side of the square is right on the money

sealabyparts.jpg

all this is as I said IMO
ca

Here is a horribly rough mock-up of the part. It is small about 1.000" long x 1.250" wide.

Untitled-109.jpg

Boatbuilder: Guessing and idle speculation will just run you in circles man.

Also if you can't tell the square on the lower neck is a GRILL (lines running port to starboard) and not a grid then I just don't know what to tell you.
01070268.jpg

No need to be mean Darkside72. You were throwing out incorrect ideas and asking for help when you started this thread.

I see it more as sound advice than being mean swfan. Seriously, guessing and wild speculation isn't going to get any one anywhere. Sure I through out a lot of garbage when I was starting to learn about this hobby.But I also soon learned that buying the kits and finding the correct parts was the only thing which produced results.

On another note: I don't take advice from a newbie with only 11 posts to his credit.
icon_rolleyes.gif

That "newbie" has/has had *hundreds* of kits in his possession and, while not always right, is pretty darned good at identifying parts. Running someone like that off certainly can't help the project.

I'm approaching 300 kits myself and several of those unidentified parts look familiar. But since I'm not building a "Y" I don't time to go through them all trying to figure out if I've really seen it or not. Boatbuilder will often do that sort of thing just to help someone out.

thanks star art its refreshing to see someone with a sensible frame of mind much appreciated after all we all are working to complete our own projects and trying to help others as we go thats what makes this hobby so interesting you make friends and gain new ideas but some people just don't want new friends and or new ideas what a shame that we are as a people afraid of something we don't understand shame shame
young minds fresh ideas

ca

Don't tell me we are fighting... again...

Darkside, you are correct. Idle speculation get's everyone nowhere... However, this does not necessarily point out that Boatbuilder's speculation is "idle". He did post a picture of a part that he thought was the correct one, and we can all presume that it is from a kit that he bought.

As far as the mystery pieces... I knew that these were parts that needed to be identified... but I had no idea that *everything else* had already been identified! I surely don't know the source of many parts. Besides, the picture in The Star Wars Chronicles of the Y Wing in construction seems to indicate that this shape of the neck was built from scratch along with the rest of the body - as it is all white and appears to be one piece. Are we sure that it must be from a kit, or an otherwise "found" piece? I have gotten kits before that had other pieces identified from it, but I ended up finding other pieces that were overlooked. Without these kits that "only a few know about", how can anyone be sure that none of these parts are in those? Unless you guys who know these kits, and have searched them thoroughly yourself say "we are sure that these parts are not in there". I didn't even know anyone knew what these kits were, as I am sure many others didn't (like boatbuilder pointing out that particular part).

Just as idle speculation gets us nowhere, fighting gets us nowhere.

Are we sure, or at least fairly sure, that these "mystery" parts are ALL that remain to be identified?

I'll tell you what I'll do. I live in Japan (for the next 3 months) and when I get back there I am taking a train to Shibuya and buying as many kits as I can without running myself broke. If there are any kits you guys are suspicious of, or that you know contain some parts... e-mail me.

Also, some of the pictures on the Studioscale Kit Scans page are down, and it doesn't look like they are coming back up. What's up with that? I'd especially like to see the M577 Command Post Vehicle.

Ron, I'm not fighting just offering advice from experience. I can't help it if feathers get ruffled easily. Speculation in general isn't helpful unless it's a scan of a part or something to try to determine what a donor part is from.

Yea ILM roughed out the GENERAL/basic shape of the neck (only as far down as the 8-rad chassis)it was covered and detailed though. The lower half of the neck is without any doubt a structure of some sort.

As far as the Mystery parts left, I can assure you they are not within the confirmed donor part kits. To answer your other question yes those mystery parts are all that remain to be found from the ANH GOLD y-wing.

I did forget this one, it's on the starboard(right) side of the model.
P6130333.jpg

Appreciate your offer to pick up kits but I really don't have any specific in mind. I have always wanted to see the Tamiya 1/12 Texaco Marlboro M23, to see what the difference is between it and the Yardley M23. The trouble is many kits have been re-tooled over the years. A lot of Tamiya, and especially AMT! (AMT/ertl today)any new AMT kits are not worth buying.

Again it would be nice to have a CLEAR photograph of the upper/inner neck. I am sure it can be identified quite easily if a guy could see it better. Where is the MOTM exhibit these days any way? Any one know? It was in Japan last I heard. Ron...
icon_wink.gif
You DID say you were going to Japan??

Jamie, you seriously don't know what THAT part is? Everyone knows what that is! J/k! Buy some tact.

This board gets so fricking SERIOUS sometimes!

In the words of Tarkin, "this bickering is pointless."

Chins up knives down. It's only plastic. That'll be two cents.

Nathan

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back