Xtremenoob's halo 4 build

Xtremenoob

hello,
My name is daniel and i fell in love with master chief's armour, so when i had the chance to finally build and make him i decided to make it out of foam because you can were it for really long time and it gives more flexibility. so i started like most builds in my room free hand and custom made templates were used. So everyone had a problem with the abdominal armour, it puzzled me. I got and idea from ARTEM after looking at there halo 4 build video. they used latex foam with fixed bits of armour attched and i decided i dont have enought money for that i decided to use foam and some material.so i cust out a singlet shirt pattern and made a shirt out of foam and attached my abdomanal armour to it. cheap but effective. that was a load of my mind when i figured out that and then after 1 month of thinking i decided to make my own visors for my helmet which was another challenge.

the helmet started out as pepakura and hardened with bad smoothcast 320. the smoothcast 320 was left open for a day when i was down to my last litre and due to the air getting into it it turned the part A into sludge. so i continued to use it as i was desperate. My bad. when i started the sanding and filling process and sanded the helmet so much in some areas the smoothcast was showing from the inside layer. keep in mind when i used the bad sludge smoothcast when it came time to do a base layer of paint the paint would not cure on the smoothcast due to a chemical reaction so the paint stayed sticky for 2 weeks. when i finally realised that the paint will never cure i decided to do the rest of the helmet in clay and have to mold it to make a copy paint can stick to, so i started fixing all the little gaps and edges with clay and molding was a breeze.

The visor i am extremely proud of because i made it. I even made a vacuum forming table just for this visor and it was a great success after 6 sheets of plastic. The buck i made by bondoing the inside of a cooking pot to get a really smooth surface and etched out the detail with multiple files and dremel. After i made a mold of the visor i made several so i can pull 3 copies from 1 piece of plastic (witch failed for 6 sheets) but with my last 2 sheets i finally know exactly how to and i will not make the same mistakes again. In dye the visors i spend $100 in IDye golden yellow dye only to realize it didnt work so after multiple messages to thorssoli i read his thread and realized i needed IDye Poly orange (i needed the POLY version). So i now know how to dye things witch is another learning curve.

once everything came together with painting the suit to installing the padding it was estatic with the results.
As i am still young (17) i have learnt alot from this hobby and comparing my props to last year i have made a significant improvement and hope in the years to follow i can some how swing a job out of this passion i have for building things.

Thank you for reading

My build started here so swing on bye have a look :Halo 4 Build by Xtremenoob

I decided to expand because people love to see something new

here is the finished helmet as well showing the build process for it.

here is my proof pic of the finished suit:
10656816273_3b3970bc65.jpg

Untitled
and a few others:

10640972284_a8c5f94557.jpg

10640950895_53e46dd9d6.jpg

002[/url
10640932874_5dd6baa708.jpg
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/101131384@N02/10640932874/"]017

10640969824_1ecd789e7a.jpg

Attachments

• 10656816273_3b3970bc65.jpg
    10656816273_3b3970bc65.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 10640972284_a8c5f94557.jpg
    10640972284_a8c5f94557.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 10640950895_53e46dd9d6.jpg
    10640950895_53e46dd9d6.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 10640932874_5dd6baa708.jpg
    10640932874_5dd6baa708.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 10640969824_1ecd789e7a.jpg
    10640969824_1ecd789e7a.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Xtremenoob's Halo 4 build

helmet's looking pretty great!
I love seeing sculpts when they are just in primer, you get to focus on the shapes and forms.

What is the base for the helmet, is it pep or foam or quoi?

do you plan on making copies of the visor once it's finished? I've been on the hunt for a decent visor for my H4 Chief lid...

Mate that looks awesome good work. Ive got a couple of the easier bits done on my Halo Reach armour. After seing this I might get a move on and finish at it! Good work again mate :)

do you plan on making copies of the visor once it's finished? I've been on the hunt for a decent visor for my H4 Chief lid...

Yes i will,
When i vacuumform it if i have more visors than helmet buckets ill sell them separately. They should look good once i dye and chrome them, im currently building a slightly better vacuumform machine before my plastic arrives. I'll Upload alot of pics when i mold and vac the visor.

Mate that looks awesome good work. Ive got a couple of the easier bits done on my Halo Reach armour. After seing this I might get a move on and finish at it! Good work again mate :)

Thanks,
Good luck building your reach armour, i to have another 2 suit in the progress and it is hard to find motivation to continue.

Yes i will,
When i vacuumform it if i have more visors than helmet buckets ill sell them separately. They should look good once i dye and chrome them, im currently building a slightly better vacuumform machine before my plastic arrives. I'll Upload alot of pics when i mold and vac the visor.

Mean, I'm only across the ditch... :thumbsup

So here is an update!
My molding and casting supplies arrived and now working on molding the visor so i can pull 3 visors in one sheet when vacuum forming it,
But first i did some quick work on the gloves

Untitled*

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled*

Not sure if you can tell but this is after the first layer

Untitled

Untitled

Will be vacuumforming it tomorrow so stay tuned
Until then
Daniel

So here is an update on what i have been doing
Untitled by daniel.bignoux, on Flickr

Here you can see cardboard Mohawk because i will be tracing this to MDF and then start to create the mothermold

Last edited:

HELP NEEDED!!
I vacuumed formed my visor 1/16 PETG but when i went to dye it i spent 3hrs and failed. I used 5 bags of orange rit at 140°f for 10min, nothing happend, turned temp up to 150° 20min started to get i slight colour difference but really nothing, 155-160° the visor warped so much its a throw away,

I REALLY NEED HELP FOR DYEING VISORS I JUST CANT GET THE HANG OF IT

P.S. the pot on the left was the cool bath

You need to keep the visor in WAY longer in lower temp. At 130 I think I have seen someone leave it up to 5 hours, but this was with black rit and they wanted it tinted. I would say drop it in for a couple hours, but checking every 30 minutes.

You need to keep the visor in WAY longer in lower temp. At 130 I think I have seen someone leave it up to 5 hours, but this was with black rit and they wanted it tinted. I would say drop it in for a couple hours, but checking every 30 minutes.

Thanks,
Ill give it a go, your the first person that has suggested me something over multiple sites i have posted on

Helmet looks really good dude. I'll have it.

Do I give you my address, or...?

Dreaming... :cry

Thanks,
Ill give it a go, your the first person that has suggested me something over multiple sites i have posted on

Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't warp. Another method I have read about is someone doing it at about 145-150 for 10 minutes, pulling it out, and immediately putting it in cool water, which helps lock in the tint.

Helmet looks really good dude. I'll have it.

Do I give you my address, or...?

Dreaming... :cry
Thanks,
I want to completely finish a helmet before i sell any, i wanted to show the basic "kit" i will be selling in a few weeks.
Im just happy 2 of 4 cast came out perfect with next to no airbubbles the one im keeping has lots of air bubbles but can fix up and the other has 2 big dents because the mold keys not sitting were they should.

Daniel

Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't warp. Another method I have read about is someone doing it at about 145-150 for 10 minutes, pulling it out, and immediately putting it in cool water, which helps lock in the tint.

That was the way i did it, thats why i got my pot on the left it was my cold bath,
I spent $90 on idye gold ochre (7packs)
It should be enough

Ill update later on the results to see if it was a waste of $90

ENJOY THIS AND THE NEXT POST AS I TAKE YOU ON A JOURNEY

here is what i have been up to

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

continue to next post

- - - Updated - - -

Continued..

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Need a photoshoot when im suited up or just for the helmet to get some good pics of it

Until Next time
Daniel

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back