WOK Phaser Paint Question

PodRacer X

I recently took the plunge into the world of phaser kits with the purchase of a Roddenberry.com Wrath of Khan phaser. I had fun with the sanding and gluing, and I'm getting close to the priming and painting phase. I have absolutely no painting experience, so I'm anxious about it. The instructions call for Plastikote Light Blue #1540 which I have looked high and low for both in my local hardware and hobby stores and online. No luck. Apparently, Plastikote is tough to find in the States (I'm in N.C.) which is why the instructions state, "...or another similar shade of light metallic blue." Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives that they have used or know of? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. :)

I know that one of the members here, Phase Pistol has produced some great Phasers from TWOK, maybe you could contact him about your paint issue.

UFP

Hey ufptrekker1701,

I checked out http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote/valsp...uct=decorenamel. The site is running slow this morning but they do have a link under this section where you can enter your zip code and find a store near you that sells their paint.

I mention the slow site because I couldn't get a response looking for the exact color you listed (#1540)

Best of luck with the model. And post some pics when it's finished.

Ted.

That paint is only available (I believe.) through automotive stores. Call Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.

You're in NC? Me too. Drop me a PM sometime.

:D

Originally posted by ufptrekker1701@Jan 18 2006, 10:52 AM
I know that one of the members here, Phase Pistol has produced some great Phasers from TWOK, maybe you could contact him about your paint issue.

UFP
[snapback]1162040[/snapback]​

I must be the victim of mistaken identity. :confused

Sorry but I have not produced any phasers from WOK.. I just posted some pix. :D

Check out the last couple pages of the main "phasers" thread on the board here... you'll find the right folks.

- Karl

Thanks for the tips, guys. I had already looked up stores on Plastikote's website, and apparently only Michael's carries their paint in my area. The only metallic light blue they have is Crystal Blue #882. I got a can and I'll compare a sample to the movie tonight to see if it's close enough for me.

BTW, blufive, I'm in Thomasville about an hour and change down I-85 from you. :)

Way Back When I built a couple ST:TMP / Khan phasers, and I used a BMW anthracite gray, if I remember correctly. I believe that was what was mentioned in a Startlog article when the first movie came out. I believe it was an article about Brick Price Miniatures, who made the props (again, if I remember correctly). I know I used whatever they mentioned in Starlog. Don't know if it was correct or not, I was just following orders. :wacko

Obi-Bob

Like Doug said, the #1540 that you are looking for will likely be in Plasti-kote's "car color" or "import color" series. You won't find it at hobby or craft stores- only automotive stores.

Are you sure there are no Pepboys stores near you? They always, *always* carry Plasti-kote car touch-up paint.

Unfortunately you can forget about Pepboys...they quit carrying Plastikote as a company about 3 months ago. And I've never seen Autozonw carry it (at least at my stores). Southern Auto carrys some but not a great amount.

Originally posted by phase pistol+Jan 18 2006, 12:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Jan 18 2006, 12:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ufptrekker1701
@Jan 18 2006, 10:52 AM

UFP
[snapback]1162040[/snapback]​

I must be the victim of mistaken identity. :confused

Sorry but I have not produced any phasers from WOK.. I just posted some pix. :D

Check out the last couple pages of the main "phasers" thread on the board here... you'll find the right folks.

- Karl
[snapback]1162101[/snapback]​
[/b]

Sorry Karl, it comes from wayy too many hours in front of a monitor and wayy too much coffee to allow me to stay there... :)

Cman is the member I was refering to. He is a member here and I think he can help you with your paint questions regarding TWOK phasers....

UFP

Not to confuse things but isn't the BMW anthracite gray for the Motion Picture version? The TWOK phaser was painted more of a dark metallic gray, closer to the 7179 the later TNG props were painted.

I searched high and low in three cities to find that #1540 paint and I finally found a store about three miles from my house willing to order it for me. Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I'll post pictures when I finish the phaser. :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back