Which comic book movies do you want to see made?

Been waiting for Dr. Strange for a long time now. Visually, I think 'The Darkness' by Top Cow would be an awesome choice to mix it up with the hero/horror element. Due to it's content it should be rater R though. Not sure how well that would go over with marketing. :/

Would you want Plastic Man to be like Cole did it in the 1940s, where Plastic Man is serious but the his shapes and incidents are zany?

Wolf

Well after the FF failed pretty much, why put faith into a second tier hero? It won't happen any time soon. The box office would suffer too much as the backstory for SS is too deep and complex for the masses to understand. A real shame, but that's how Hollywood thinks and acts. They need 'safe bet' films that are gauranteed to make their money back plus some for some other poor comic character's hack job of a film.

Well after the FF failed pretty much, why put faith into a second tier hero?

Because no one knew who Iron Man was before the movie came out and look what happened there. You can't talk Hollywood in one breath and then "second-tier hero" in the next when the first means mainstream audience and the second means comic book audience. Captain America is a second-tier hero, to the real world. There's been studies on this, but it's sort of an industry truism that the most globally-recognized fictional characters are Tarzan, James Bond, Sherlock Homes, Superman, and Mickey Mouse. And that four-quadrant, globally-recognized audience is what they're shooting for now that the economy makes it impossible to make money back.

Honestly, that's what makes Marvel's Iron Man -> Hulk -> Thor -> Cap -> Avengers progression so ballsy. They're making everyone care by dint of quality entertainment.

Kevin Feige wants a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, man. What are they? Tenth-tier? It doesn't matter how many chords you have in your song; it only matters that it rocks.

I think you're grasping straws which is fine because if you don't think about it, it makes sense. But you are right about it 'rocking'. But you have to get there first. Starting with solid writing. FF, didn't have it. X-Men 3 didn't have it. SM3 didn't have it. Thus failing...for different reasons, but it boiled down to execution and seeing a vision from start to finish without too much compromise from the studio. First Class had a time compromise but made it through with it's soul intact. I agree Marvel is being ballsy with the Avengers and how they got there. But I don't think you gave enough credit to what you consider second tier. In the comic world, Captain America was always first. And a lot of people knew who Iron Man was beforehand, due to marketing to children who were established in the comic/cartoon realm.

I think you're grasping straws which is fine because if you don't think about it, it makes sense.

Yeah? I just think we're talking about two different things. For example:

But I don't think you gave enough credit to what you consider second tier. In the comic world, Captain America was always first. And a lot of people knew who Iron Man was beforehand, due to marketing to children who were established in the comic/cartoon realm.

But that's my point exactly. Of course Cap is first-tier in comics... but there are only a half a million comics fans in North America. That's a drop in a movie bucket audience. And sure, "lots" of folks knew who Iron Man was because of cartoon marketing, but kids don't drive movie ticket sales. So cartoons and whatnot lifted him to second-tier status. The X-Men were second-tier characters until the first movie came out.

We're just talking about two different audiences, is all.

Yeah, SD is just talking about Cap as a first-tier character, and he's not wrong. I think the main consensus of comics folks is that Marvel's first tier is Spider-man, Hulk, Cap, and... I dunno. There's always a discussion when you try to fill out the top five. In the eighties you could have put Thor and Iron Man in there and only get argued with half the time. :lol

Yeah those top 5-10 are always changing out, depending on the decade. I still think ticket sales are somewhat driven by children through their guardians and parents. Even moreso through the parent that understands the characters, i.e. I took my 6 yr old to see First Class and almost regretted it due to some of the choice scenes. I am one of those parents who push sales for the second tier guys. :lol

I've been waiting for YEARS to see a live-action adaptation of POWERS by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming! :cool

After years of being stuck in Development Hell in Hollywood, Bendis took the rights back and it's now spent the last couple years... stuck in Development Hell to become a TV series on the FX Network. Here's hoping it happens one of these years.
What a difference 8 months can make! FX has now FILMED the pilot for POWERS and the producers are currently awaiting a decision as to whether or not they get to go to series with it! :)
I've been waiting for an Elfquest movie ever since I first read it.
Blame Wendy & Richard Pini for that one. They've had an animated adaptation in the works for FOREVER! They've even shown test footage at some point along the way, but the project has never been completed and released, and at this point, it probably never will be.
Booster Gold.
Hey, at least he was seen on screens in episodes of Justice League Unlimited and Smallville! Not bad for a character that most people aren't familiar with! :cool

I REALLY want to see the reboot version of THE FANTASTIC FOUR. Because I think there's an amazing movie to be made out of that comic book. The two FF movies we got were terrible. But I've read enough of the Lee/Kirby books to know there's a powerful movie to be adapted from the original source material. They just need to find filmmakers with the right vision.

I REALLY want to see the reboot version of THE FANTASTIC FOUR. Because I think there's an amazing movie to be made out of that comic book. The two FF movies we got were terrible. But I've read enough of the Lee/Kirby books to know there's a powerful movie to be adapted from the original source material. They just need to find filmmakers with the right vision.

A-friggin'-men. :lol

The FF should be done, set in the pre-hippy sixties with all kinds of Kirby looking technology.

And do the Negative Zone stories with Annihilus.

Also about female superheroes. Why hasn't this happened already? Do they think there isn't an audience for it, because they are dead wrong. So why hasn't it happened yet?

Elektra. Yeah, I like to pretend that one didn't happen too.

My choice: Blue Falcon. Or, do a WWII piece starring the Blackhawks.

Wes

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back