what happened to disney?

I wasn't terribly impressed with Tron Legacy.I tried watching it three times,fell asleep through the first two viewings.It wasn't terribly different than the origonal,just a minor plot change and a couple new characters.The only real difference was the new/improved CG,otherwise it was a regurgitation of the original and barely a continued story left over from the first film.I felt that Disney had a golden opportunity to take a new Tron film to the next level and really come up with an incredible story.Instead, it was just a "show off" of all the CG and other cool stuff they could think of to put on screen.I did watch the "special features" and even in that the director seemed more preoccupied with creating the new digital environment rather than the story itself.Disney did to Tron what Lucas did to Star Wars I.M.O.Just allot of CG and nonsense.They must have given Jeff Bridges a really sweet deal and a HUGE check.

ok 1 recent movie i've gotta give disney credit for is enchanted.

it really felt like those old movies, at least in parts :)

just a sample:
Disney's Enchanted- That's How You Know (English) - YouTube

maybe they are getting back on the right path

You beat me to it. Agree 100%. Amy Adams was a living breathing Disney Princess.

Also, gotta give props to the people who brought the horse "Maximus" to life on the screen. One of the best characters I've seen and it didn't speak a word.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Tron Legacy.

Tron Legacy was a very difficult movie to make. They had to set up the young people for the next movie, but also feature enough of the old movie to tie it all in and give it some history. I think they did a decent job. I am sure the next Tron movie will be all-out. Legacy was just a set up for the spike!

Disney is going through a change right now. As Pixar merged with Disney, they really had an influence to go back to the storyline as the main mode of creating a movie. Bolt was the first movie to get a Pixar alteration during late production. Lassiter is now pushing the archives hand animation and digital animation and pushing for the original values of Disney's roots. It has taken a bit of time and the merge has been gong back and forth in terms of how those values are reflected bot in the movies and in the park itself. I believe Disney is on the upswing but there are cliches in the management organization still fighting a bit about the direction it is going. People like Lassiter REALLY have their hands full wearing many hats and frankly, it is going to take time for certain changes to filter through. But right now, I really like the direction Disney is taking in turning things around from the Eisner years.

Hunchback of Notre Dame is my all-time favorite Disney movie. It's dark and has one of the best scores ever. I wish that Disney would stop copying Pixar and go back to what made them great. (Tangled was a step in the right direction)

Last edited:
i agree, lets not get confused. disney is not responsible for the pixar movies, they just release them for pixar. disney did buy pixar but one of the conditions of the purchase was the head of pixar, lassetter is now head of disney annimation studios, and with it, will come a revival of disney traditional annimation while pixar sticks with cgi.

... Except Lasseter has bosses that he reports to as well.

His position depends on how well the last few films do.

I suspect that the reason why we're seeing as many Pixar sequels as we are now is that somebody is hedging his bets and trying to keep his job.

(To me, Pixar started to go downhill when I realized 85% of their films was buddy/road movies. Toy Story 2 was enough. Toy Story 3 was not needed. Toy Story 4? Totally unnecessary. Most people would probably agree that Cars 1 and 2 are not Pixar's finest pair of films.)

The game is very different when you don't own your own studio and each film costs on the order of $150million-$200million to produce. You literally have to make close to a half-billion dollars just to break even!

Lasseter's biggest supporter on the Disney board was his boss at Pixar, Steve Jobs... and most of us know what's going on with Steve Jobs now. He's very sick and most likely in late-stage pancreatic cancer.

Lasseter could be shown his walking papers after Jobs is gone for good and a few films tank... or it may be someone with enough supporters who doesn't like Lasseter that shows him the door.

A lot of long-time employees were forced out of Disney by the last long-time CEO, Michael Eisner. He was a paranoid control-freak. Eisner also didn't have a clue on what makes a hit or a good film. There were a lot of people running interference during his reign that helped a lot of good films happen and kept Eisner's meddling to a minimum. Unfortunately, most of those people were forced out or died by the mid-1990s. THAT'S a big part of why the Disney films weren't so good after 1995.

There are ex-Pixar employees who do have bones to pick who generally don't talk about their experiences online for obvious employment reasons. Pixar is not the utopia people paint it to be...

Tangled was ok, but it just lacked that iconic quality of early 90s Disney. One big aspect is that the songs were pretty forgettable compared to the classic songs Disney films used to have.

Iconic early 90s Disney.
The classic songs Disney films used to have.
Yeah that stuff from the 1930's to the 70's was subpar.

Laffo.

The Black Cauldron was Disney's death knell, everything after that has been the equivalent of the father dying and his spoiled, idiot son taking over the family business and running it straight into the ground.
The only reason the son is still in business is because of his father's name and reputation.

One big aspect is that the songs were pretty forgettable compared to the classic songs Disney films used to have.

I agree, I'm sure there's some talented song writers today, but these guys set the bar pretty damn high.

Sherman Brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back