What do you use for shelves/display?

cboath

Master Member
The amazing collections thread is massively too rich for my blood :)

What do you all use/recommend/want for shelves/display that doesn't break the bank? I'm going to be having a space soon at least 6ft wide to work with. Mainly, i'll be putting sabers, helmets, and a couple blasters on it.

I've been through some local furniture stores and started browsing wayfair which has some interesting etagere (sp?) shelves that are nice, but I don't. Sadly, the nearest Ikea is about 4.5 hours away so i'm not sure they're much of an option.

Thought i'd see what everyone has come up with.

$10 Ikea lamp stands and $10 floating shelf......the clear acrylic blaster stands I hand made from scrap.....

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 274
In general, IKEA seems to be the preferred way to go. Their shelving systems are relatively affordable, come in some many different options, and look the part!

The Detolf and Besta lines seem to be the forerunners.

Sean

Detolf all the way. Sometimes people even sell these on the Facebook marketplace for like $30

As I said, while i'm not against Ikea, the nearest one is a 4.5 hour drive away, so far from convenient. I looked at a Detolf before, but they wanted like 100 bucks for shipping on a 100 case.

I've got a set of 3 World Market metal and wood bookcases that have served me well. Quality is OK. I'm a fan of the industrial-ish look.

I've got a set of 3 World Market metal and wood bookcases that have served me well. Quality is OK. I'm a fan of the industrial-ish look.

Kinda like this?

I do have one of these stores in town. I like that other than the handles at shoulder height.

Somethings never change I guess....

Priced up 3 Detolfs....$178, shipping $199. And that's just shipping, 377 total.... What a joke. Was considering a couple others as well, but not for that shipping.

Kinda like this?

I do have one of these stores in town. I like that other than the handles at shoulder height.

That's the model that replaced mine, more or less.
Mine has a wooden base with drawers and a bar for a ladder around where the handle is on that one. That handle looks like it might be removable, but you'd have to see it in person to be sure. You'd be left with bolt holes unless you just installed the bolts without the handles.

You definitely want to be on the lookout for sales/coupons, shouldn't ever pay list price at World Market.

Occasionally you'll find local places going out of business that have retail display cases and can get a good deal. But beyond that, Ikea is the way to go for budget friendly that looks good, even if they aren't the sturdiest.

Detolfs are nice, but Ikea used to make the Skogen, which was shorter, but had bigger shelves. Plus, it had casters so you can roll it. I use it to display my models.
51112_PE150558_S4.jpg

I went with these nickel/glass shelves from Wayfair. They come in a few different names but all seem to be from the same maker. They've got tall versions, skinny consoles, etc. Plus I like that they're delivered right to my door and easy to assemble.
IMG_5974.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG
IMG_3167.JPG

Nice collection! You even have a replica of the pie from revenge of the nerds! You were able to capture a high enough resolution from the Blu-ray/DVD to print the image?
And the acrylic/glass frame for the bttf 2 newspaper looks great.

I went with these nickel/glass shelves from Wayfair. They come in a few different names but all seem to be from the same maker. They've got tall versions, skinny consoles, etc. Plus I like that they're delivered right to my door and easy to assemble.
View attachment 1335446View attachment 1335447View attachment 1335448

Nice collection! You even have a replica of the pie from revenge of the nerds! You were able to capture a high enough resolution from the Blu-ray/DVD to print the image?
And the acrylic/glass frame for the bttf 2 newspaper looks great.
Thanks! Yeah I just took a screen shot from Amazon. There’s probably a better substitute for whipped cream but I used caulk piped through a pasty bag/tip.
the acrylic was super cheap. 2 UV filtering pieces held together by earth magnets.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back