What is your ideal display mannequin?

For lighter weight costumes, I don't use the stand at all. The feet are pretty good at allowing the mannequin to stand on its own. However, there is no way it could support something like Wrex without some serious weight at the bottom to keep it from falling over.

It depends on what you make the stand out of. Plastic, no, it would never hold the weight, but if you did it out of steel plate, it could easily do so, especially if you double or triple up on the plate thickness. It also depends on how large you make the stand, the larger it is, the more stable it will be.

It depends on what you make the stand out of. Plastic, no, it would never hold the weight, but if you did it out of steel plate, it could easily do so, especially if you double or triple up on the plate thickness. It also depends on how large you make the stand, the larger it is, the more stable it will be.

The stands included with most of these are made from steel plate. I think he's referring to the way that the vertical rod coming out of the plate attaches to the leg of the mannequin. It's VERY insecure when there's much of any unbalanced weight at all added to it as there's no internal stop to prevent the rod from going too far into the leg (and either breaking the fiberglass there or at a joint further up when the thing leans too far)

The stands included with most of these are made from steel plate. I think he's referring to the way that the vertical rod coming out of the plate attaches to the leg of the mannequin. It's VERY insecure when there's much of any unbalanced weight at all added to it as there's no internal stop to prevent the rod from going too far into the leg (and either breaking the fiberglass there or at a joint further up when the thing leans too far)

But it's simple enough to add additional or thicker plates to keep the thing upright instead of having to pile unsightly books or bags or sand on the bottom, if you have large and heavy base, it doesn't matter what you stick up there, it's going to stay upright. Further, you can change out the threaded rods easily or add additional stabilizers that bolt into the base for very heavy loads. It's expected that if you use a tool for a job for which it isn't intended, you're going to have to be comfortable modifying the tool.

I have been toying around with the idea of trying to create a fully possible joint locking cosplay display mannequin for a little while. All tho i am much more of a dreamer, its still nice to see what everyone likes and doesn't like about fiberglass display mannequins. Trying to come up with something that meets everyone's needs and still being sturdy enough to hold props and the like is a great challenge.

That looks great for helmet or mask displays, shame its sold out already!

Something's up with that eBay link, unless its me....it's showing $649.00 for a head?? Hmmm...

Ack! LOL. Then they are out right now on eBay as well. I have seen them do this before. When they are out of stock they just push the price so high no one will buy it until they have it in stock again. Give it some time and I am sure they will have more.

Ack! LOL. Then they are out right now on eBay as well. I have seen them do this before. When they are out of stock they just push the price so high no one will buy it until they have it in stock again. Give it some time and I am sure they will have more.

Phew. At that price I was looking for fine print that either said "fiberglass reinforced carbon fibre gold thread head", or "made from actual head". [emoji12]. Either one would make me question your collection Art [emoji6]. Great find though, thx for posting...can't wait to get a couple.

LOL.

Here is how I am currently using some of mine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mannequin-head-props-1.jpg
    mannequin-head-props-1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 573
  • mannequin-head-props-2.jpg
    mannequin-head-props-2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 578
  • mannequin-head-props-3.jpg
    mannequin-head-props-3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 552
The only issue I have with these are with things like the gas masks that hang from the front of the face. Because the weight is so far forward, they can tip over. But there is a screw in the back of the neck where I attach a small bolt and some weight to counterbalance them.

They do have a hole in the foot as well as the post hole in the back of the leg. In regard to filling them, you could easily bore a hole into the top of the waist, where the waist and torso go together. This would allow you to fill the legs with whatever you want.

You can twist the arms a bit forward and back, but any serious modification would require fiberglass work.

Hi Art, thanks for the tip and I will definitely look into these once the price drops below $600 a piece lol, I have seen sellers do this before so I am sure you are right and once they are back in stock they will adjust the price. Can you recall what they went for before?

On modifying the arms, an advantage would be if there are sleeves on the costume (think Indiana Jones), then the re-attachment does not have to be "clean". I would suppose you could use hardware fasteners (screws, nuts, bolts, bracktes), rather than mixing resin, etcetera. What do you think...?

Seems like it's been a while since anyone posted here. But this is a perfect thread for this so....

I've been looking around as well. It's been really hard to find a good flexible mannequin that can wear a full suit and doesn't need a foot/calf brace. I JUST found this one. It seems to be geared towards the costume crowd. Slightly on the higher price side for mannequins but, I think it's worth it considering it can be posed in any position and is perfect for displaying a full suit.

BlkBendie-2.jpgBlkBendie-3.jpgBlkBendie-4.jpg
http://www.zingdisplay.com/Posable-Male-Mannequin-in-Black-p/blkbendie.htm

Has anyone used this one? If so, any tips? If not, I will pick it up and post a full review with pictures later.

Timbo

Seems like it's been a while since anyone posted here. But this is a perfect thread for this so....

I've been looking around as well. It's been really hard to find a good flexible mannequin that can wear a full suit and doesn't need a foot/calf brace. I JUST found this one. It seems to be geared towards the costume crowd. Slightly on the higher price side for mannequins but, I think it's worth it considering it can be posed in any position and is perfect for displaying a full suit.

View attachment 555156View attachment 555157View attachment 555158
http://www.zingdisplay.com/Posable-Male-Mannequin-in-Black-p/blkbendie.htm

Has anyone used this one? If so, any tips? If not, I will pick it up and post a full review with pictures later.

Timbo

If you look at the first page, there are a few pictures of members using this mannequin: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=191477&p=2994690&viewfull=1#post2994690

And someone in the project thread just did a group buy for those wanting then in Europe.

I have been interested in these myself. I would like to see more posing in armor as i want to change the display of my stormtrooper I currently have. I would rather be able to pose it with a light weapon in hand.

One of things that has bothered me about this model is the skinny limbs. They look weird in the areas where armor does not cover the body. However in most cases, there was not a lot of posing of the display. As I mentioned, there is some images on this thread and the way they are posed, they look pretty good.

The guy I have been pointed to is this guy: http://store.voicebooster.com/male-mannequin-flexible-posable-full-size-in-black/

I have also been interested in the female version as it is my size, 5'7.

If you look at the first page, there are a few pictures of members using this mannequin: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=191477&p=2994690&viewfull=1#post2994690

And someone in the project thread just did a group buy for those wanting then in Europe.

I have been interested in these myself. I would like to see more posing in armor as i want to change the display of my stormtrooper I currently have. I would rather be able to pose it with a light weapon in hand.

One of things that has bothered me about this model is the skinny limbs. They look weird in the areas where armor does not cover the body. However in most cases, there was not a lot of posing of the display. As I mentioned, there is some images on this thread and the way they are posed, they look pretty good.

The guy I have been pointed to is this guy: http://store.voicebooster.com/male-mannequin-flexible-posable-full-size-in-black/

I have also been interested in the female version as it is my size, 5'7.

Ahhh I didn't recognize these in there. Cool.

I think with the varying types of costumes, all these mannequins have their pros/cons and likely have to be modified a little. In my case, its 100% covered and being able to pose the arms are crucial.

I'll do a full on review once I get it and the suit.

Timbo

Here's one for all you UK-based folks!

I use tailor's dummies (they're a hard high density foam torso on a stand, with a black "sock" over them) to display a lot of my Dr. Who and Blake's 7 costumes (a mix of replicas and originals). Most of the costumes I've got don't have footwear, gloves or headgear, so they are ideal.

Because the torso is made from hard foam, it can be trimmed to fit the costume, vital for original costumes, I wouldn't like to cause them any damage by trying to stretch them over that's too big. Best of all, they're only £26.75 including UK postage!! I don't think I can put up links to live eBay auctions, but if you search for "Male Tailors Dummy Black Fashion Students Mannequin Window Display Bust", you should be able to find them (they also do a female version).

For anything that's bigger and/or replica, I use gloss black "egg head" mannequins. I dislike mannequins with faces, they can detract from the item being displayed. I don't really have a particular favourite, but I always check that the fingers are suitable for gloves.

Attachments

• Costume mannequins.JPG
    Costume mannequins.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 117
  • eBay dummy.jpg
    eBay dummy.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Full mannequins.jpg
    Full mannequins.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 138
I also stumbled across those on the zing display site but it says "add to wishlist" instead of add to cart. Anywhere I find any sort of info on this particular mannequin indicates it's no longer available?

I would love to be able to put my fett and trooper costumes on mannequins where the hands can be posed holding weapons and have never really found anything that works well.

Any other info on this one?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back