What is your ideal display mannequin?

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
EDIT: 01.05.2020

In going back and looking at this writeup, I want to combine some later posts I made in the first post and expand on what I have learned.

---

I have been looking for years and years for a "perfect" mannequin. I have bought all kinds in the past and few if any ever really stack up well.

Some of the things I have learned:

• Action posed mannequins seem exciting but are often hard to dress or can put odd stresses on a costume.
  • So many mannequins, especially males, have very effeminate poses that make them look terrible.
  • Sculpted hair on a mannequin often makes it all but impossible to add a helmet.
  • Painted faces can be incredibly distracting, or again, tend to be effeminate.
  • You have to be very careful with a lot of mannequins that their feet aren't too close together or that their arms aren't too close to their sides, especially if they have a belt on that has any kind of pouches or additional items.
  • All mannequin hands are horrible, and many have fingers that are all together, meaning you can't add gloves.
  • Many many costumes don't work with the provided stands.
  • Mannequin prices vary widely, for reasons that are often very unclear.

With that being said, I think I have found, a number of great mannequins or display pieces.

Large Male Mannequin:

Specs:

Model #: GM23E
Height: 74", 6' 2"
Shoulder to Shoulder: 22.4"
Bust: 41.3"
Waist: 30.7"
Hips: 40.6"
Best place to purchase: MALE MANNEQUIN EGGHEAD GLOSS WHITE GM23E

gm23e-mannequin.jpg

You can also find them on eBay and if you buy multiples, they will allow you to use your own FedEx account which is great for shipping.

Now, this isn't a perfect mannequin but here is why I love it.
  • It has a very neutral pose which means 1) you can display several together and they look good without looking weird and 2) they show off a costume well.
  • Legs are spread just wide enough that it is easy to get pants on without it looking like it is doing a split.
  • Arms are relatively close to the sides without being too close.
  • Physique is nice without being too big or too lean. Has a slightly imposing feel to it that gives most costumes just a little more of a heroic look.
  • The head looks straight forward. So many other mannequins have the head at a slight angle.
  • No distracting facial details!
  • Helmets go on the head very easily.
  • All white, which gives it a museum-quality feel.
  • SUPER CHEAP (less than $100 from some vendors)

With that being said it isn't perfect and there are a few issues:
  • While fiberglass, build quality is mediocre, especially at leg joint.
  • Paint is also mediocre at best.
  • One of the hands does not have split fingers, meaning you have to cut the fingers apart, on one hand, to get gloves on. This is a tedious and annoying process.
-----

Average-Sized Male Mannequin:

Specs:

Model 3: GM27E
Height: 70 Inches, 5' 10" (4" shorter than the GM23E)
Shoulder to shoulder: 19" (3.4" more narrow than the GM23E)
Bust: 38.5" (2.8" smaller than the GM23E)
Waist: 28.5" (2.2" smaller than the GM23E)
Hips: 38.2" (26" smaller than the GM23E)
Best place to purchase: MALE MANNEQUIN EGGHEAD GLOSS WHITE GM27E

gm23e vs gm27e mannequins.jpg

The GM27E mannequin has the same features as the GM23E but is more of a "my size" mannequin and works great for mannequins that are wearing costumes specifically made for me, while the 23E works better to give that menacing look to a display. Love these both!

-----

Male Half-Bust:

Model #: DBL6
Height: 30", with base up to 43.3", 3" 7"
Shoulder to shoulder: 16.1"
Bust: 31.5"
Waist: 25.2"
Best place to purchase: MALE EGGHEAD DRESS FORM TORSO WHITE GLOSS DBL6

dbl6 half mannequin 1.jpg dbl6 half mannequin 2.jpg dbl6 half mannequin 3.jpg

Male Half-Bust with shoulder caps (no arms):
Sometimes you don't want arms, but want a head... this is particularly hard to find, but this is my favorite for a half bust WITH a head but WITHOUT arms (just shoulder caps). Note: these people are a bit of a pain to deal with but the mannequins are worth it.

Specs:
Model #: 70660
Maximum Height 54"
Bust: 37.5"
Torso length: 24.5"
Best place to purchase: Male Glossy White ½ Body Mannequin | Store Supply Warehouse

I know the photos show it with arms, and it does come with them, but it also comes with the shoulder caps. Please note, the head is EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY turned to one side on these.

70660_1.jpg 70660_2.jpg 70660_3.jpg

-----

Pedestal for Half-Mannequins:

I hate the flimsy bases "tabletop" mannequins come with. They are always unstable and I never put one on an actual table. Instead, I use Pedestal Source. They are VERY expensive, but the quality is absolutely perfect. I usually get their 15" x 15" x 24" pedestal for half-bust mannequins.

Specs:
Height: 24"
Width: 15"
Length: 15"
Best place to purchase: Black Laminate Pedestal

Black Laminate Pedestal by Pedestal Source.jpg

-----

Head form display:

I prefer a simple stand, but when you need a head, this one works great! Note that this is a large head, so if you have a small, inflexible hat, it may not work.

Specs:

Model #: H-9W
Height: 13.8"
Circumference: 23"
Ear to Ear: 6.3"
Forehead to rear of skull: 7.5"
Base Width: 8"
Base depth: 6"
Best place to purchase: Amazon.com: Male Gloss White Mannequin Head: Industrial & Scientific

perfect-mannequin-head-01.jpg perfect-mannequin-head-02.jpg perfect-mannequin-head-03.jpg

-----

Helmet stand:

Super clean and simple, but most importantly, it fits in my IKEA Detolf cabinet.

Specs:

Model #: Classic Helmet Stand
Height: 12.4"
Base: 6"
Top: 3.9"
Best place to purchase: CLASSIC HELMET STAND

19001-classic-helmet-stand-main_1024x1024@2x.jpg

-----

Prop Display Stand #1:

While these are more for props than costumes, I have found these stands to be SUPER useful for oddly shaped pieces. The rods can very easily be bent and even cut to almost any shape.

Model #: TA-127B
Specs:
Height: 12.5"
Base: 7"
T-bar width: 10"
Best place to purchase: Amazon.com: African Tribal Mask Artifact Display Stand, Holder, TA-127B (mask not Included): Home & Kitchen

TA-127B Display Stand.jpg

-----

Prop Display Stand #2:

Slightly different design on the stand above. Works great for pistols and more complex pieces.

Specs:
Model #: HA-66B
Height: 6"
Base: 7" x 3.5"
T-bar width: 6"
T-bar end length: 4.5"
Best place to purchase: Amazon.com: Easels by Amron Gun, Pistol, Hand Gun, Dagger, Knife, Display Stand, H-Arm, HA-66B: Home & Kitchen

HA-66B Display Stand.jpg

Last edited:
I have to agree Art. I have used one of these and for the money, it is by far the best choice for displaying most costumes.

For costumes that are 100% coverage like a Vader or Fett, I still think a custom made wood frame with movable joints is the best way to go. It's cheap, can be made very strong and you get exactly the pose you want especially if you add wire fingers.

I have 8 mannequins in my prop room with costumes, and boy do I feel your pain!!! I agree with everything you've said completely, and if I may let me add a few more to my personal list of mannequin owning annoyances.

Height. Most male mannequinns are freakin' giants! Do you know how tough it is to find a simple six footer?!
Waist. Like most of us, ideally we want to be able to display a costume we ourselves would wear, so we tend to buy/build costumes in our general size. Now I'm not a large boy, I have a 34 inch waist. Why do they make these things with a 30inch waist?! They look annorexic and pants or belts never fit right!
Muscle mass. Now I'm not looking for a Hulk physique, but I'd like something more than "lean". Try putting a Superman costume on a common mannequin then count how many people look at your display and say, "Man...Supes needs a cheeseburger!"
Long legs. Ever notice that no matter how tall your mannequin is the legs are always way too long? It's almost as if regardless of the height, they shorten the torso so that they can add a little more to the leg length.

Now, there ARE "perfect" ones out there, but you have to pay through the nose for them. If you just need one, it's not TOO bad, but when you need as many as me it really takes a toll on the wallet.

That's a great mannequin. How sturdy is it at the bottom? Do you need to pile weights on the base?

Might this thread be expanded to cover "armor stands" that don't necessarily need to be on a mannequin body? With the focus also being on holding up something that's topheavy and prone to tipping over.

(Related: I might really want to get Wrex off of my dressform!)

I've been looking for a decent mannequin at a killer price for a while. To the OP, how does this one stand on its own without the calf rod? I'd like to display a costume that has boots and would prefer the mannequin stand on its own without the help of a supporting stand.

Art,
I was looking for a neutral looking mannequin for display purchases, and also to glue the raised webs onto my Spider-Man costume. I purchased this very same mannequin off of eBay for the same reasons you have listed.

Overall, I'd say it does the job. To your point, the one hands has two of the fingers glued together, but you can probably saw them apart easily enough for gloves. I have had an issue getting the torso to lock onto the hip area. There is a bolt that protrudes up from the hip that is supposed to lock into a recess in the lower part of the torso, but I have been unsuccessful in getting it to grab. Luckily, the weight of the torso, head, and legs seems sufficient to hold it down.

As I build up my display area, I will be picking one of these up!

Sean

That's a great mannequin. How sturdy is it at the bottom? Do you need to pile weights on the base?

For lighter weight costumes, I don't use the stand at all. The feet are pretty good at allowing the mannequin to stand on its own. However, there is no way it could support something like Wrex without some serious weight at the bottom to keep it from falling over.

Might this thread be expanded to cover "armor stands" that don't necessarily need to be on a mannequin body? With the focus also being on holding up something that's topheavy and prone to tipping over.

(Related: I might really want to get Wrex off of my dressform!)

I have never used armor stands but sure...we can talk about anything that will benefit you!

I've been looking for a decent mannequin at a killer price for a while. To the OP, how does this one stand on its own without the calf rod? I'd like to display a costume that has boots and would prefer the mannequin stand on its own without the help of a supporting stand.

It will stand on its own, but you are always taking a bit of a risk in doing that. I have two costumes (which don't have breakable parts) on these mannequins with no rod/base support and they stand just fine.

I've been eyeing these simple blueprints and considering making a quick stand out of pipe/tubing and/or wood (but honestly would prefer to buy something off the shelf!) Another alternative if anyone else is in the same boat as I (Halo folks?)

Armour Stands

Height. Most male mannequinns are freakin' giants! Do you know how tough it is to find a simple six footer?!
Waist. Like most of us, ideally we want to be able to display a costume we ourselves would wear, so we tend to buy/build costumes in our general size. Now I'm not a large boy, I have a 34 inch waist. Why do they make these things with a 30inch waist?! They look annorexic and pants or belts never fit right!
Muscle mass. Now I'm not looking for a Hulk physique, but I'd like something more than "lean". Try putting a Superman costume on a common mannequin then count how many people look at your display and say, "Man...Supes needs a cheeseburger!"
Long legs. Ever notice that no matter how tall your mannequin is the legs are always way too long? It's almost as if regardless of the height, they shorten the torso so that they can add a little more to the leg length.

While this mannequin definitely isn't perfect, I think he addresses a number of these issues relatively well.

He definitely has muscles and fills out most of my costumes really well, but he doesn't look like a roided out beef-cake. He does have a relatively small waste in proportion to his overall size, but at 31", I can still cinch my pants up just a bit and they fit on him.

This manny is 6' 2" tall, which, like the waste, is just a little off of my own measurements (I am just shy of 6') so most of my costumes still fit him and he tends to fill them out even better than I do and looks really good in them without coming off as an absolute giant.

I have been debating purchasing what seems to be a slightly smaller variant of this mannequin (M10AW), but am not quite sure if they truly are the same with just a size difference.

I have been debating purchasing what seems to be a slightly smaller variant of this mannequin (M10AW), but am not quite sure if they truly are the same with just a size difference.

Art, I was about to post that I have an egghead mannequin similar to the one in your first post when I saw you mention this... It's the one I have, though mine is black. It's great, with a nice neutral pose and good proportions, but not perfect. A couple things to note after reading the general points of concern you have with mannequins.

- Because the left heel is raised off the ground, balance can be just a bit tricky (especially with heavy capes). The spike coming out of the stand can be a little finicky and you'll need to put a hole in the achilles heel on taller boots for it to work. The metal stand is necessary unless you are going to lightly lean it against the wall.

- The fingers are separated on both hands, but still a little bit too close together to place gloves on without possibly stressing them. You'd probably still want to do some Dremel work in a few spots for thicker gloves.

- The head is turned slightly to the left. I have a large Batman cowl on mine, and the egghead is small enough that the cowl can still be displayed in line with the shoulders (the point of the chin is hidden by a fabric hood under the cowl). Not a big deal.

bobo.jpg

Thats the one I use, but I want posable hands so I can get gloves on them and have them hold weapons if I so desire.

I want posable hands as well, but the problem I see is even IF you get posable hands, they are unlikely to have the strength to hold anything but the lightest of weapons.

I thought the head was turned... and that is why I haven't bought it yet!!! Thanks for confirming!

It does look very good for your Batman!

Art, I was about to post that I have an egghead mannequin similar to the one in your first post when I saw you mention this... It's the one I have, though mine is black. It's great, with a nice neutral pose and good proportions, but not perfect. A couple things to note after reading the general points of concern you have with mannequins.

- Because the left heel is raised off the ground, balance can be just a bit tricky (especially with heavy capes). The spike coming out of the stand can be a little finicky and you'll need to put a hole in the achilles heel on taller boots for it to work. The metal stand is necessary unless you are going to lightly lean it against the wall.

- The fingers are separated on both hands, but still a little bit too close together to place gloves on without possibly stressing them. You'd probably still want to do some Dremel work in a few spots for thicker gloves.

- The head is turned slightly to the left. I have a large Batman cowl on mine, and the egghead is small enough that the cowl can still be displayed in line with the shoulders (the point of the chin is hidden by a fabric hood under the cowl). Not a big deal.

View attachment 214252

Getting boots on those are a PITA. I also wish they could just pin them straight through the foot instead of that ugly bar that sticks out of the calf.

You definitely have to get laces on shoes pretty loose, but I haven't found a pair that won't go on with a bit of effort. For me, through the heel studs aren't useful as I am not willing to ruin shoes for that type of mount.

Getting boots on those are a PITA. I also wish they could just pin them straight through the foot instead of that ugly bar that sticks out of the calf.

I want posable hands as well, but the problem I see is even IF you get posable hands, they are unlikely to have the strength to hold anything but the lightest of weapons.

I been thinking about that and am considering doing something with the locking piece from the mannequin hand and allthread and swivel joints so that I can tighten them in the pose I like. More to come on that it's a winter plan.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back