Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

Unforgiving stuff. Slight prying pressure to pop a glue post and then SNAP! Fortunately, modifications will be extensive. Kind of have to be now, I suppose. :unsure

Well- same here...mine's 85% apart. So much to do!!!

Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

1-1.jpg

Here's an update/concept, trust me the image is not as good as the real thing!
and ignore the tape :D

Hey folks

Took a week off to really get to grips with this and thought as i haven't posted anything yet i should put up a sneaky preview,

So this is a closeup of work in progress on the 'Bullock Berator'. Boy this is a tougher build than i thought.

Here's what I've got done so far...

(This isn't assembled, these pieces are all separate)

Mockup by Slukaj, on Flickr

Still left to do:

• Assemble the gun
  • Attach the straps
  • Create a simple rifle scope
  • Run purple EL wire through the bottle
  • Crap-wash the whole gun with a coat of grime

Okay, so I join RPF just because of this contest, and now I'm losing sleep reading all the archived forums, the Junkyard is draining my wallet, and the competition is a freakin' mech? I mean come on people, give a guy a chance. :lol

If my Bison's going to compete it'll have to launch other Bisons that then each shoot chainsaws or something. I'm booking holidays, things are gonna get serious in here.:)

:lol

Know the feeling...and somehow realize our designs within the time frame :confused ...and how many other chicks are doing this comp or are they all guys?!!

I'm hardly a threat I reckon :angel

Nice Slukaj, i think we bought our paint from the same store.

Sigh. Still haven't recieved my Naked Bison. Looks like I'll have to contact Weta to try and figure out what's happened to it, and stand the compo out.
cry.gif

I might still try and complete the building thing digitally, but of course that won't be an entry to the compo.

Ah the messy workbench...

IMG_0745.jpg

Finally buttoned up the rear section, just have some filling and smoothing to do before paint. Been playing with rub-n-buff on the front section, it's definitely going to need some weathering to tone it down.

I'm still not sure if the whole thing will actually come together or if it will just look like a pile of parts.

Well you can tell the core (and nose) of yours is from a lantern. But then you can tell the core of mine is a magnetron. I like to think it's all in the finished product.:thumbsup

On mine I just point out the fact that if you jack it into a 900watt DC power supply, it really fires up as a true microwave raygun. Tends to silence the haters.

Heh, acutally it's a salt grinder so I'll take that as a compliment. :lol

Woah, cool. Never seen that basal ornamentation outside a kerosene lamp. This is the sort of jet-engine part fun I love in id-ing any found parts.

Last edited:

I like the modified trigger guard, jackdoud. The gold grip looks nice too; how many Bisons have you got on the go?!

Sigh. Still haven't recieved my Naked Bison. Looks like I'll have to contact Weta to try and figure out what's happened to it, and stand the compo out. :cry
I might still try and complete the building thing digitally, but of course that won't be an entry to the compo.
I'd say still give it a go if it arrives within the deadline.. Just for inspiration, here's one I built in a single day with found objects for $0. You can do the same. :)

dscf5897x.jpg

I like the modified trigger guard, jackdoud. The gold grip looks nice too; how many Bisons have you got on the go?!

Just one, since it was allowed I made copies of a few parts I needed extras of. :angel

Final design will be something like this:
IMG_0668.jpg

Just one, since it was allowed I made copies of a few parts I needed extras of. :angel

Final design will be something like this:
IMG_0668.jpg

Oooooh Nice
rock.gif

So I finished painting the gun, adding the details, and then gluing it all together. "wow this is looking nice" I thought to my self. Then I turned and looked at the box which shows the Righteous Bison, only to realize that my color scheme I used, without using the image as a reference, looks similar to the Righteous Bison's color scheme. :O

But in my defense, the dark grey I picked out was supposed to give a "hammered" texture, which it barely did. Also, I wanted the pipes to be brass-ish colored.

I'm sure I'm fine. It just bothers me

Well, mine is just now (finally) starting to come together - in rough form. Been doing a lot of tinkering and staring at it... then more tinkering, and sometimes a change or two. And then more tinkering...

Anyway, here's where I started:

397977822.jpg

The stock is MDF, created on the laser cutter at work. I wanted to continue with the grip motif to tie it all together, so for the butt area of the stock I pulled a quick mold of the grip design with Knead-a-Mold silicone putty - the stuff works pretty well for quick and dirty molds. I did a thin brush coat of resin and pulled it out of the mold while it was still slightly flexible, and pressed it flat. I also pulled a quick putty mold of the Grodbort logo from the fin and made a casting of it too, to go in the center. In addition, I made several putty molds of the screw heads on the grip frame - I'll make castings of them to stick on the stock in select spots.

In the meantime, I started the laborious and tedious task of filling in all of the holes and recesses left from the process of tearing the guns apart - yes, that's plural... I picked up two Bison to make a twin-pod raygun carbine! I built a simple jig to make sure that I got them aligned correctly, and got the angles right, and got them canted slightly towards each other (so that the barrels will converge):

397977823.jpg

397977826.jpg

As an aside, I started looking at and tinkering with some of the detail parts to see how I could re-purpose them for my build (more on that in a minute):

397977824.jpg

After much effing around with more jigs and fixtures, I created a wedge piece to fit between the pods on the underside, to lock them together in their correct orientation and attach them to the top of the grip section (upon final assembly). Here's a first preliminary test fitting, all held together with double-stick tape:

397977827.jpg

397977828.jpg

I also created a corresponding assembly to go on top, not only to help lock the pods together, but also to serve as a cradle to hold...

397977829.jpg

The pressure vessels! (made out of Plastruct ABS tubing and hemispheres)

397977830.jpg

You can also see here the beginnings of a collar/fitting where the barrels come together - this is where a simple post foregrip will be.

And here's a look at the "intermix pressure control assembly" that I made with a couple of the re-purposed detail parts:

397977825.jpg

The pressure gauge doesn't have the bezel on it here - I'll be adding a piece of "glass" (clear styrene or acetate) to seal it up.

Tons more work to do yet, so back to it...

Nice, D48thRonin.

Rough form or not, that's looking real good. I'm looking forward to seeing the final and polished item.

It's good to see these starting to come together...
The closing date is looming! :confused

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back