Weathering aluminum parts like my DL44 Blaster Flash Hider in the dishwasher

METATRON

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi, I‘m working on a Star Wars costume at the moment (see my other threads) and found a nice way for weathering Aluminum parts. Just put them in the dishwasher. Something you should never do with aluminum kitchen stuff.
Here my DL44 flash hider before, new and shiny:

90641691-4208-4C07-9060-E78584B50A08.jpeg

And after one round for an hour. But be careful, to much and it could be overdone. Then you have to polish your part and try it again.
98A523ED-FD3E-43F2-A639-08DF54ECF8DB.jpeg

BC2C7623-19D3-43D9-B565-CBC6003D8F01.jpeg

Weird. After reading your thread, I tried it with an aluminum flash hider I had. Came out sparkling and shiny. Did you use detergent?

Weird. After reading your thread, I tried it with an aluminum flash hider I had. Came out sparkling and shiny. Did you use detergent?
Pixelpiper posted a lot of info about the dishwasher trick a few years ago in the Luke V2 thread,
keep reading for a few pages, the info is a bit spread out.

I think you need to use an oxigen based detergent, like oxiclean for instance. some detergent will not do anything.
I have also read that wraping your part into aluminium fold would increase the effect.

I think you need to use an oxigen based detergent, like oxiclean for instance. some detergent will not do anything.
I have also read that wraping your part into aluminium fold would increase the effect.
Hi, very interesting. I’m using these little dishwasher tablets. Maybe your have different ingredients? Could be. I also have to fill the machine with a special salt from time to time. On the package it’s written that’s the ingredients are phosphate, polycarboxylate, bleach and soaps.
It’s a store brand. For the German folks:
Ich nehme die DM Marke von Denk mit.
image.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back