Weathering aluminum parts like my DL44 Blaster Flash Hider in the dishwasher

METATRON

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi, I‘m working on a Star Wars costume at the moment (see my other threads) and found a nice way for weathering Aluminum parts. Just put them in the dishwasher. Something you should never do with aluminum kitchen stuff.
Here my DL44 flash hider before, new and shiny:

90641691-4208-4C07-9060-E78584B50A08.jpeg

And after one round for an hour. But be careful, to much and it could be overdone. Then you have to polish your part and try it again.
98A523ED-FD3E-43F2-A639-08DF54ECF8DB.jpeg

BC2C7623-19D3-43D9-B565-CBC6003D8F01.jpeg

7-11 Jedi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Weird. After reading your thread, I tried it with an aluminum flash hider I had. Came out sparkling and shiny. Did you use detergent?

scarf man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Weird. After reading your thread, I tried it with an aluminum flash hider I had. Came out sparkling and shiny. Did you use detergent?
Pixelpiper posted a lot of info about the dishwasher trick a few years ago in the Luke V2 thread,
keep reading for a few pages, the info is a bit spread out.

eethan

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think you need to use an oxigen based detergent, like oxiclean for instance. some detergent will not do anything.
I have also read that wraping your part into aluminium fold would increase the effect.

METATRON

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think you need to use an oxigen based detergent, like oxiclean for instance. some detergent will not do anything.
I have also read that wraping your part into aluminium fold would increase the effect.
Hi, very interesting. I’m using these little dishwasher tablets. Maybe your have different ingredients? Could be. I also have to fill the machine with a special salt from time to time. On the package it’s written that’s the ingredients are phosphate, polycarboxylate, bleach and soaps.
It’s a store brand. For the German folks:
Ich nehme die DM Marke von Denk mit.
image.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.