Warehouse 13 - The Tesla Gun

Your work is so incredible. You made that look like a perfect box from about 1890 or so. That's what mine is dated at.

Please tell me what you used for the pewter inlay lines. Did you machine old leaded plumber solder? Did you buy it? I really need a piece about 11" long for another old box I'm trying to fix. I've been searching for Months and can't get anything close.

And, did you make that black knob for the meter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Duh.... I read the ebay post and it has the dimensions right in the listing. OMG.... I need to go to bed. Like I said, Ray.... I based my box on a vintage box. So, I'm feeling generous so I'm going to give all the kiddies the actual dimensions for my box. Wait for it......

10.75 across the front......

7.75 depth...................................

3.97 high (this includes both the bottom and the lid)

If you guys are serious about building a box.... I would be happy to give you guys all the dimensions and parts lists. I also pulled the molds I used for the one knob, the meter housing parts, and the brass knob I used. If there is an "experienced" mold guy that's into the Tesla build, I would be willing to loan the molds out for you to pull a master. I just don't have the time to make castings for you guys... sorry. I also have the high res art for the meter etc so you guys can make the complete meter housing. Since the show is finished, I don't mind helping you guys out with this.

Cheers,
Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Guys listen up..... do not waste time trying to find a box or a plumbers part etc. LOL
RayR I machined aluminum rail for the inserts. I had the mother of pearl cut to size from Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

RayR...... PM sent

Almost forgot..... after machining the aluminum rail inserts, I sanded them to kind of dull them up. That's why they look like old pewter.

Ken, I can't believe how close I came to the dimensions you used. I went by looking at my Tesla and what pics I could find on the internet and here. Then there was a lot of ebay searching.

I would be willing to pull a master on the black knob and offer it for cost of materials to anyone interested. Alternatively, if someone else want's to do it (or all of it) that's fine...but please let me know so I can get in on it. I would really love to have an authentic looking knob in place of the temp. one I have now.

Ken, you are wonderful to make this available! I don't have the words to thank you properly!

Cheers, Ray

RayR No problem. I got everything (EVERTHING) pulled and put aside. So, if you guys want me to do a how to instruction on the case, I can do that here. I can break the CAD down and post pics etc of the dimensions etc. Then include the parts lists etc. The brass knob is a no go. It's been discontinued and not being offered anymore. That's not to say it isn't sitting around in some hardware store but unless they list the stuff on the net.... it's going to be impossible or at the very least.... extremely difficult to locate.

I even found one of my boxes. LOL

@RayR No problem. I got everything (EVERTHING) pulled and put aside. So, if you guys want me to do a how to instruction on the case, I can do that here. I can break the CAD down and post pics etc of the dimensions etc. Then include the parts lists etc. The brass knob is a no go. It's been discontinued and not being offered anymore. That's not to say it isn't sitting around in some hardware store but unless they list the stuff on the net.... it's going to be impossible or at the very least.... extremely difficult to locate.

I even found one of my boxes. LOL

I remember you telling me about that size knob. It's a shame, but I'll just have to go "close enough". Although I have the box I'm going to stick with, I would love to have the break down you described. When I was a teen, I built several stringed instruments...lots of detail work and inlays, etc. and this project has sparked a renewed interest for me.

The parts list will be invaluable and fascinating.

And I would love to know if your originals go to auction! I don't know if you saw the post, but I tried my hand at the Telegraph Artifact also (attached pic) It is Warehouse 13 Telegraph.jpg the perfect original telegraph body. The key is accurate.

Hi RayR, A lot of my stuff goes to auction after production is finished and the studio decides what to do with it all. I mean... stuff goes to archive as well.... **** even "walks" of set all the time which pisses me off to no end. LOL I don't know exactly what they did with the W13 stuff. I've moved on to many new projects since then.

THANK YOU, Ken lol It's been killing me trying to figure this one out. I think I might try a piece of German Wire...about 18 gauge, and see if sanding will give me the look. If not, its machining aluminum =)

OK RayR...... the trim pieces are .040 thick (showing on the surface) and .100 deep set into the wood. Length I can cover when I start posting instructions.

Ken,

Thank you for providing all of that information and with the generous offer! Hopefully someone can borrow the molds and we can get some casts, at least of the knobs and such.

Now I'm going to run and do some measurements, lol!

After measurements, and taking the gun body and moving it around the interior of the box, 2 Teslas may fit in the box I have but I have a lot of depth to work with so I'm probably going to angle the guns in the foam about 15-30 degrees depending on what's necessary in order to insure a nice clean fit and design. I'll post some photos later when I'm actually awake and when I pick up the foam tonight.

Last edited:
Ken, did you build the Tesla rifle as well? If so, are you at liberty to share any of its building secrets or a parts list? Love to do that next.

wow, there are some awesome updates today. I was watching a video of some guy building a working ZAT for Qmx and noticed the name seemed really familiar. seems it's our guy Kenny here. that is some serious skills to bust out that level of replica. I poked around though and didn't see an official announcement as to why qmx hasn't released their hero replica yet. That video was a couple years old I think.

Hope someone with some molding skills can take Kenny up on his offer. I know I'd love to have that pesky knob and the dimensions of the brass knob. I'm pretty sure that some machinist can make a small run of those as well. Even use the larger size and just cut them down and re-knurl them. I'd be down for paying to get that done. Even knowing the exact size would be sweet to keep an eye out for some old stock.

Anyway, been a sweet day indeed. Thanks Kenny for all the updates. Knowing how busy you are it is appreciated you taking the time out.

peace.

So no one took Kenny up on his offer? getting my tesla today. Should be delivered around 11am. Still in the hunt for a box of the correct size. I did find the correct locking mechanism from Kenny's box. He seems to like Rockler as that's the lock and key set on his box. Will pick up the correct lock and key when I find a box of the dimensions of RayR's box. Also found a good option for the knurled knob. seems like the right size. Will continue to search for the correct Rockler piece but this will work for the time being. Was hoping someone savvy with casting would take him up on his offer. that knob would be sweet to have as after hours of searching, no dice.

I'll post pics of my spiffy new tesla tonight when i get home. thanks to Timelordd for the help on that. He is one cool cat. talented as well.

So no one took Kenny up on his offer? getting my tesla today. Should be delivered around 11am. Still in the hunt for a box of the correct size. I did find the correct locking mechanism from Kenny's box. He seems to like Rockler as that's the lock and key set on his box. Will pick up the correct lock and key when I find a box of the dimensions of RayR's box. Also found a good option for the knurled knob. seems like the right size. Will continue to search for the correct Rockler piece but this will work for the time being. Was hoping someone savvy with casting would take him up on his offer. that knob would be sweet to have as after hours of searching, no dice.

I'll post pics of my spiffy new tesla tonight when i get home. thanks to Timelordd for the help on that. He is one cool cat. talented as well.

I can't wait to see the pic's. Id really like to see that black knob you have, and get details. As for the box, if you are not going to make one like Kenney, keep checking eBay UK. Look for Antique Sewing box. Victorian Sewing Box, Antique trinket box, small antique box, etc. I now have 5 similar boxes that I got just because I think they're cool and I can use for stuff. The only one that is the correct dimensions was in horrible shape. I am suing it as a repair practice box. I actually found replacement pewter strip for the missing bit (that's Not what Kenney used but is on the antique piece) I fixed major cracks and now am almost finished with the refinishing job. It really looks great.

There is a store called Woodcraft near me (and online) that sells the correct box hinges like on the antique.

As for the casting, I did offer to try but haven't heard back (I have a friend who did model work for NASA). I imagine he gets very busy and can't play on Social Medial as much as some of us =)

I've been looking at ebay us, ebay.co.uk and etsy and no dice yet. Looking pretty much daily for a box. There is a guy in the UK that seems to have some really nice boxes that are close but a bit off. His stuff is always in great shape. Pinged him to look for me. I'm sure if someone can find one that is in good shape and the correct dimensions i'm sure it's him. I got the brass knurled knob off of ebay and it's from a tattoo equipment vendor. it's smaller than the rockler one that kenny said was too big. Figured that would be a good size to start with until we can get dimensions from Kenny. Was thinking actually of picking up a few of the larger rockler knobs and having them machined down to the correct size and have the correct knurl done. it can't be all that spendy and will serve the same purpose. Plus it will have the same grooves on the face like the screen used piece. I can probably pick up the cost on that and send them out to folks. Just hope someone else does the same for the knob casting. Figure we can all have complete screen used pieces and help each other out. Just an idea. the resin for the knob must be pennies. The brass knobs are maybe $10 for 5 of them and machining can't be more than $20-$30 for the set. Shipping is another few bucks and done. Figure it would be a good way to help out.

Hope someone can step up and cast the knobs. I'd do it but i've never cast anything so i'm not sure how well it would turn out. Plus I'd be gutted if I ruined something of kenny's due to inexperience.

cmon folks, someone step up.

on a side note, can you sand mother of pearl and the pewter inlays with the wood without wrecking it? I've got one of the too small boxes that needs new stain and urethane as it's sun faded on the face. Was thinking of sanding it and redoing the stain and seal it up like new. i'm pretty handy with wood but never, ever sanded or worked with inlaid stuff. only worked with wood or metal but not both in the same surface.

peace.

I can't wait to see the pic's. Id really like to see that black knob you have, and get details. As for the box, if you are not going to make one like Kenney, keep checking eBay UK. Look for Antique Sewing box. Victorian Sewing Box, Antique trinket box, small antique box, etc. I now have 5 similar boxes that I got just because I think they're cool and I can use for stuff. The only one that is the correct dimensions was in horrible shape. I am suing it as a repair practice box. I actually found replacement pewter strip for the missing bit (that's Not what Kenney used but is on the antique piece) I fixed major cracks and now am almost finished with the refinishing job. It really looks great.

There is a store called Woodcraft near me (and online) that sells the correct box hinges like on the antique.

As for the casting, I did offer to try but haven't heard back (I have a friend who did model work for NASA). I imagine he gets very busy and can't play on Social Medial as much as some of us =)

on a side note, can you sand mother of pearl and the pewter inlays with the wood without wrecking it? I've got one of the too small boxes that needs new stain and urethane as it's sun faded on the face. Was thinking of sanding it and redoing the stain and seal it up like new. i'm pretty handy with wood but never, ever sanded or worked with inlaid stuff. only worked with wood or metal but not both in the same surface.

peace.

You should make a simple jig to cut mother of pearl. A 1/2 inch thick hard wood about 6 to 8" long and about 3" wide would be fine for small pieces. cut a slot down the middle of one end for your blade. To cut it, use a fret saw. It is available at most craft stores that deal with wood working...model stores, etc. or on line. It is like a coping saw but smaller and a finer blade. I find I don't have the patience for using a jewelers saw and the super fine blade. You can find more MOP cutting info on line. After cutting to shape, I suggest sanding it as close as possible to the proper thickness on a sheet of sandpaper on a hard surface. Just put it on the paper and hold the inlay with your finger. MOP is hard and brittle and if you sand it after it is in place, use a sanding block so you dont make ditches in the softer wood.

The pewter, or aluminum (if you fake it) is a soft metal. Mine was too tall when installed and I cut it down by scraping with the edge of a file. Scraping with a straight knife blade worked well also.

The finish on these Victorian era boxes is French Polish, which is a style of shellac application. It comes off easily with denatured alcohol. If it's rosewood, there is likely no stain, IMO. There a lot of videos on French Polish and shellac on You Tube. Hope this helps.

Hey guys..... sorry for not posting sooner. Been really busy and my mom is in the hospital.... heart valve replaced and pace maker.

Anyway, where are we on this thread? OK... so I promised some dimensions. Lets get started. What I'm going to do is take the CAD and create 2d drawings for you guys. As for the knob... I can pull casting if there was enough demand and enough of a list. I'm just too busy to pull one or two castings. At least for right now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back