Warehouse 13 - The Tesla Gun

I may end up making something as I just can't find anything suitable locally or online. It will never be that good as my woodworking leave a lot to be desired. I might just make a display stand with the meter built in somehow so the gun is always on display. I am thinking I'd like the meter to give a reading when connected to the Tesla. It should be doable using the gun's frame as a conductor and connecting the meter to a metal display stand (like the one that comes with the QMx Tesla) and the braided lead. Little neodymium magnets make good terminals for power.

Those boxes are out there. eBay and Etsy are the best bets. Especially eBay UK. You have to be creative in the search: antique box, vintage box, small sewing box, antique jewelry box, antique vintage trinket box, etc. It was not an uncommon design. I ended up with 4 at one time and sold the others to keep the one I liked best. I kept one that was in terrible shape to practice working on. It came out so good that I keep it for other stuff. But a stand would be cool, too!

I have searched for pretty every one of those things numerous times and not come up with something suitable. I can still go with a stand then later do a box if I find something. Certainly a stand would make a smaller display than a big box.

Hey guys! Figured I would hope on here before going to bed. I've been working up to 16 hour days for the last 6 weeks and it's taking it toll on me. I can't talk about the project but it's some good stuff.

So, first things first. The tesla wood box , I made, is based on existing box but totally different in size etc and size of details. If you look for a box, you can find one that's close but the box I made was completely custom. I got the mother of pearl from a supplier in Australia, I machined aluminum strips for the metal inlay. I used wood veneer over my custom wood box. The hardware.... Hinges and locks I got from Rockler. So, there ya have it brothers. If you think the box I made was a found item..... that's not the case. :)

OK, so now some good news. I went through my millions of Rubbermaid totes this week looking for some items and I came across a gold mind of W13 items. Here's what I got. I have all my master parts for the tesla gun plastic parts.... like the knob. I also have a great deal of spare machined parts of the gun. I have extra vacuum tubes that I used for the show guns. I have a **** load of extra parts for guys that would like to finish building a tesla gun using studio production parts I made. I also have one beautiful unfinished wood box. Yes.... the box. The box is completely finished as far as all wood and exterior finishes and hardware. The only things it needs is the inside details. In addition to that, I have one beautiful complete stand from the run of stands I made for the QMX run I did.. I also pulled all the molds I made from the interior parts for the box. Like the gauge, the knobs, etc etc. Tomorrow I'm going to take some pics and put a list together of everything. I even found a W13 props dept crew shirt given to me by the prop master.

So, what am I doing with it all? Cleaning house! I got way too much stuff. I offered to loan my molds out at one time and give up my CAD files so one of you can make PDF drawings for everyone. I'm still going to loan out the CAD model. I haven't forgotten about the gentleman that offered to make PDFs..... We'll talk soon enough. But, the molds and everything is going! I have to figure out how, though. Lol I would like to get something for the lot considering it is a mini treasure find of goodies. The big problem I guess is how. Apparently, I believe anything I list for sale, has to go to the junkyard. I don't think I can link the junkyard to this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I believe I have to be a premium member to list in the junkyard now? LOL I don't even think I can have someone else list the stuff for me either. I need to go back and see how we can do this without breaking any rules.

My new website is being worked on as we speak so I may put the stuff there. We'll figure it out.

Cheers,
Kenney

Very Cool, Kenney. Thanks for the 411. I can't wait to see the new web site & it's always exciting to see the new stuff you're working on. Guess I'll keep an eye on the Junk Yard, too. I don't want to miss a thing!!! Especially the Warehouse 13 bits!

Last edited:
Anyone have any further info on the Tesla Rifle?
All I have to go on is an old thumbnail picture of the rifle.
a69b865379c57acc12de3460c670750a.jpg
What I have on my info. Shotgun stock, blowgun or PVC pipe reducers (what size I don't know), 3 Tesla mid sections cut in half & added on handle grip, diles - 2 (don't know what kind), custom made vacuum tube (vacuum foamed plastic or blown glass with a stacked cylinder coil inside), & probably copper panted wires attached to the stock dile, scope & mid section power dile.

It seems this thread is stagnating now, but if interest ever rises again, I have some 'presentation box' measurements to share with fellow crafters.

I managed to find the exact vintage box (yes Kenny, we know you made yours from scratch, but this is the type of original that I assume you took your measurements from) without too much effort on the Ebay searching, as the seem to have been a common mass-produced Victorian item (at least here in the U.K.). What was more fortuitous was that the seller was only 4 miles away, and he has at least two more (at the time of writing) that he's willing to part with, in similar condition.

View attachment 492295View attachment 492296View attachment 492297View attachment 492299

As you can see, it requires some restoration work, but at least all of the beading and MOP is intact. It has suffered the common fault of a huge crack in the rear strap of the lid (that's going to take the most work!), but a little fresh shellac and t.l.c. will soon have it in tip top condition again. I'll keep you posted on the progress. The replica lining is no problem - I've done that before on another project.

Now to the measurements I promised. I will quote Imperial fractional inches (and millimetre approximations in brackets):

10 and 7/8 " (276) by 8" (203) by 4 and 1/8" (104). The bottom/lid sizes are 2 and 11/16" (68) high for the bottom and 1 and 7/16" (36) high for the lid. The walls seem to have been made from two thicknesses of wood: sides are 29/64" (11.5) thick and the front/back are 1/2" (13) thick. The lid plate is 13/32" (10.3) thick and the base plate is 7/32" (5.55) thick.

If you need any other information, I always reply to PM's.

It seems this thread is stagnating now, but if interest ever rises again, I have some 'presentation box' measurements to share with fellow crafters.

I managed to find the exact vintage box (yes Kenny, we know you made yours from scratch, but this is the type of original that I assume you took your measurements from) without too much effort on the Ebay searching, as the seem to have been a common mass-produced Victorian item (at least here in the U.K.). What was more fortuitous was that the seller was only 4 miles away, and he has at least two more (at the time of writing) that he's willing to part with, in similar condition.

Your images didn't load right, you mind editing or try to re post them?

Hi again guys (and gals)

It's been a fun summer, but my latest (Claudia's) Farnsworth build had stalled for the lack of a suitable TFT screen. So, while I'm still trying to source one, I decided to make some progress on my Tesla pistol build. Too many pics to post here, so jump over to http://beachcomberbob.tumblr.com/ if you want to see how I'm getting on with the build. Because they're bass ackwards, showing the latest first, you will have to scroll down aways to see the project from the beginning.

Hello, I m looking for the sizes of the aluminum parts of the Tesla gun. Where I could find that? Thanks.

Regards,

These are the dimensions that I worked out from measuring known components in screen caps (and extrapolating), and that I'm using for my own build. I hope it helps. PM me if this pic does post correctly.
Tesla Frame.jpg

Afternoon everybody, always late to the party, but here we go..... (it also took weeks to read all of this thread).
Made a start on this and a Farnsworth.

Cut out the main body and sourced a tesla tube and a box.

12637340_943078582394113_823840940_o by Richard Bailey, on Flickr

Next wound some wire round brass rods...

12696401_945155338853104_1108794714_o by Richard Bailey, on Flickr

Painted the frame silver and found a tubby tube and some copper tubes.

12675255_946223125412992_618436528_o by Richard Bailey, on Flickr

Next made a bracket, and sprayed it to look a bit like brass.

12737109_947490731952898_864447499_o by Richard Bailey, on Flickr

More to follow when more parts arrive...

I haven't been on this thread in a while, but whilst I was over in the Farnsworth section, it prompted me to hop over here and see how everyone was progressing.

I've been doing bits and pieces toward finishing my pistol, and most of my progress is on Tumblr (see a few posts up from here, if you want to go and have a look at it). I've been trying to master the art of resin casting amongst other things, and thought I'd share here the results of my casting the API meter casing.

I'd already hacked apart the original old one (non-functioning, before people cry 'heretic'!) and retro-fitted a contemporary volt meter inside it, so I could see how charged the LiPo cell in my pistol was. Then it occurred to me to take a set of master moulds from it before I fitted it once-and-for-all in the presentation case. So I ripped it all apart again and set about pouring some silicone.

Here are the resulting resin castings.

progress28.jpg

I haven't been on this thread in a while, but whilst I was over in the Farnsworth section, it prompted me to hop over here and see how everyone was progressing.

I've been doing bits and pieces toward finishing my pistol, and most of my progress is on Tumblr (see a few posts up from here, if you want to go and have a look at it). I've been trying to master the art of resin casting amongst other things, and thought I'd share here the results of my casting the API meter casing.

I'd already hacked apart the original old one (non-functioning, before people cry 'heretic'!) and retro-fitted a contemporary volt meter inside it, so I could see how charged the LiPo cell in my pistol was. Then it occurred to me to take a set of master moulds from it before I fitted it once-and-for-all in the presentation case. So I ripped it all apart again and set about pouring some silicone.

Here are the resulting resin castings.

View attachment 606857

Whoa! Those are pics of the castings? They look like original parts. Nice job.

Indeed! Great looking castings!

What is the outside dimensions of the front on this meter? I've noticed a number of VU meters out there with different (larger) dimensions.

Thanks.

David

The oblong bezel is 88mm x 50mm (72 including the semi circular part at the bottom) That's roughly 3.5in x 2in (2.85) in imperial.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa! Those are pics of the castings? They look like original parts. Nice job.

They are indeed the copy castings. I can now keep the original meter for future use.

I've also been having fun with some P.U. foams. I made clay masters directly onto the alu frame, then made silicone moulds from them. You can see the jig I made from an old plastic bottle, to hold the frame (minus the clay parts) inside the silicone mould, and cast the foam directly onto that. The trigger guard I could cast in a simple two part mould. I've created recesses in it to house a proximity switch and a micro push button, so I can later use these to power up the pistol and activate the firing sequence of the main tube. You can see the whole pictorial progress of how I did this, and all the other parts of this Tesla pistol project, on my 'Tumblr' page.

DSCN1282.JPGDSCN1283.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back