Vader's MPP shroud (update)

Re: Vader's MPP shroud

That are the pictures I remebered.
Is it the same with the ANH Vader saber?

The ESB/ROTJ hero saber started life as the "V2" ANH saber. The one considered to be the V1 had silver sidebars on the clamp, a nail going through the clamp to hold it together, and the clamp itself was a bit higher up on the saber in relation to the shroud. The V2 can be seen during the scene when Vader force chokes the one guy (the name escapes me right now. The whole "Vader, release him!" scene) and also during Princess Leia's interrogation. So while it wasn't the primary hero saber, what eventually became the ESB/ROTJ saber did have significant screen time in the first film. Between ANH and ESB, the clamp lever was lost/broken (those MPP clamps must not have been that well made), longer grips were affixed to it, and several wires were inserted into the "port holes" just beneath the emitter. Hope that helps!

Great info. So can we assume both versions of ANH vader saber had the circuit board under the bubble strip?

Wow, that looks great! I'd like to see a photo or two of the modded end cap. What did you use for the bulb release? I'll be chucking the curvy front one as well. Is the bubble strip from Blast Tech also? I'm just wondering, cause I see 6 bubbles instead of the 7. I'm going to be using an Exactra 20 to get them in my build.
Found an older pic of my mash-up endcap.
Cannibalized the octagonal one to remove the round middle-part and carefully opened up the coin-edge one to remove the "HR" logo and insert the piece. (Using epoxy glue from the inside)

uploadfromtaptalk1442221863266.jpg

to this:

uploadfromtaptalk1442221901281.jpeg

Great info. So can we assume both versions of ANH vader saber had the circuit board under the bubble strip?

Now that's the million dollar question isn't it? The reason the lever of the ANH MPP snapped could have been due to the whole Exactra 19/20 set up, including the circuit board, underneath and in between the clamp ... I sincerely doubt Micro Precision Products made an inferior clamp-lever on which the photographer had to rely, the flashgun had to stay on his camera all the time when shooting pictures not snap at the even most slight manoeuvre from the photographer ... take a look at how low that clamp sits on a camera as seen on the cover :

If the MPP clamp-lever was bad in quality, those flashguns would have come flying off the camera's ... being attached that low :wacko

Chaim

Given the only surviving MPP we know of, the Luke Graflex Toe pic and others - I think Star Wars went with the "pinch" method to hold bubble strips in.vThe real things just aren't wide enough to fill the space inside. That circuit board is still stuck to the pinched bubble strip, with nothing beneath it in the MPP clamp.

Roy I'm astounded you have these available now. I'll work on my Parks pretty soon :)

Given the only surviving MPP we know of, the Luke Graflex Toe pic and others - I think Star Wars went with the "pinch" method to hold bubble strips in.vThe real things just aren't wide enough to fill the space inside. That circuit board is still stuck to the pinched bubble strip, with nothing beneath it in the MPP clamp.

Roy I'm astounded you have these available now. I'll work on my Parks pretty soon :)

The circuit board is actually flipped... here's how it looks when you cut the bubbles and then what it looks like with the flipped board:

Bubble 3.jpg
Bubble 6.jpg

Good eye. So after this point in your photos, you would still need to grind down along both sides of the row of bubbles to fit it between a fully tightened clamp opening, like in the photos of the original above?

Good eye. So after this point in your photos, you would still need to grind down along both sides of the row of bubbles to fit it between a fully tightened clamp opening, like in the photos of the original above?
That's right, the bubble stip is too thick or tall and too wide to be pinched. Sanding it thin won't help it stay put, since it's so skinny, so you'll have to sand the long sides down to fit between the clamp edges.

Well, Roy, ya basterd... after much thought about putting this MPP shroud on my heiland with "incorrect" square portholes, you finally made me crack...

21449765005_4e9be627d8_c.jpg

And I will move the "correct" back end from my square porthole heiland to this one and will be ordering your shroud as soon as I recover from my move.

Nice on the bulb release! I will wait off the 3 weeks and pick it all up at once.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back