Tusken Raider & Gaffi Stick: Scratch build...

Me and the boys headed over to Blaxmyth's place today for a little forging for Gaffi Stick v2. He kindly turned up a couple of steel pieces for us:

93WCZkDl.jpg

Got the forge fired up nicely... one lad kept the fires burning by cranking the air pump:

eUSPlkjl.jpg

...while the other got to go "hammer and tongs" on a red-hot piece of steel:

Zz0OwIul.jpg

They each got a turn to produce a nice forged spike for their own gaffi sticks:

kKVwaB9l.jpg

Nothing beats the "real deal". A BIG thanks to Blaxmyth for having us! If we're lucky, we'll get to do some welding next week.

Me and the boys headed over to Blaxmyth's place today for a little forging for Gaffi Stick v2. He kindly turned up a couple of steel pieces for us:

View attachment 1537526

Got the forge fired up nicely... one lad kept the fires burning by cranking the air pump:

View attachment 1537527

...while the other got to go "hammer and tongs" on a red-hot piece of steel:

View attachment 1537528

They each got a turn to produce a nice forged spike for their own gaffi sticks:

View attachment 1537529

Nothing beats the "real deal". A BIG thanks to Blaxmyth for having us! If we're lucky, we'll get to do some welding next week.
No folded points, pretty impressive. These fellas know what they're doing! Better smiths than I was at their age

To get uniformity in the spike part I spray painted the entire piece silver then, while still wet, sprinkled a bunch of graphite powder on it:

View attachment 1536419

I misted it with a little black and dark brown spray paint, then rubbed it all over with steel wool to reveal the real metal underneath the paint. I then finished it off with some red oxide acrylic applied in spots with a brush and then overall with a rough cloth for texture:

View attachment 1536420

As I mentioned above, I decided to print a smaller pineapple head (reduced the Z-axis by 75%):

View attachment 1536421

Here's a comparison of the first and second pieces after painting:

View attachment 1536422

The last little piece was this spare cabinet knob I had, which I used as the transition piece between the totokia butt and the metal shaft. I just drilled a 1" hole to match the pipe diameter and painted it to match the staff.

View attachment 1536423

Glued everything together (added a little bondo to the joint between the totokia head and neck, sanded and painted to match). I'm very happy wtih the final results... here is our FIRST Gaffi Stick:

View attachment 1536424
View attachment 1536425

Stay tuned for v2 with more help from Blaxmyth!
Very well done, nice work everyone

My boys and I are building a couple of Sand People outfits. I wasn't planning on doing a thread, so I didn't take many photos at the start, but we love how it's turning out, so I thought... better late than never.

Firstly, we 3d printed up a set of mask hardware (found these from Thingiverse, I think):

View attachment 1533201

Our good friend Blaxmyth provided us a couple of pepakura and fiberglassed Tusken shells to work from. We then added our printed parts (mostly with screws) and leather:

View attachment 1533202

The only thick leather we had for the snout wraps were off cuts from our Red Book of Westmarch (Red Book by Magnoli Props) which is a deep burgundy color. We wanted it more brown, so after a good sanding of the surface, we applied a coat of yellow ocre acrylic wash which turned the burgundy to a nice warm brown tone.

To give the hardware a more metallic look, we sprayed the pieces with some clear gloss than coated it in graphite powder. An old flannel bed sheet, ripped into strips was used with hot glue for the wraps. Lastly, I airbrushed some potassium permanganate onto the fabric to darken all the seams and edges:

View attachment 1533203

We added some black mesh on the eye holes so you can see out but can't see in... and some foam padding inside to hold the helmet secure on the wearer's head.
I've been looking for a pepakura file for the Tusken shell. Do you know if the file is available somewhere?

Was just watching The Book of Bobba Fett thinking “I need to make a gaffi stick”. Great inspiration. My daughter is wanting to learn to carve so thought we might do a joint project. Thanks for sharing you process.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back