Tron Legacy - Sam Flynn's Identity Disk

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by RiCor, Feb 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RiCor

RiCor New Member

About a month ago I finally started working on modifying the Deluxe Identity Disk toy after figuring out all the details during the last few months. Figuring out all the details has been a big learning experience and I’m glad to have finally started.
    I also launched a website, www.ricor.net on which I plan to document the whole build extensively and sort it into different sections concerning preparing the disk, painting it, the electronics, the code (sketch), etc. And of course there will be a full listing of all the parts that I used. I also will be putting my DIY-projects on the website like the workbench that I built last year so that I would have a place to work on this project and on other electronics/DIY stuff.

I would like to give a very big shout-out to Erv (Plecter Labs). He has been a great inspiration and a really big help for sorting out the details and helping me out by supplying his Arduino sketch! His post can be found here.
    And also to Soulinertia for making the disc upgrade kits available to the masses!

Below are pictures of my progress so far. I removed all the electronic bits, used a dremel and exacto knife to remove all the unnessary bits of plastic closed the original button and battery cover using epoxy glue and epoxy clay. I ended with finishing touches to the c-ring during a testfit of the upgrade kit before final paint prep.

2017-02-02 22.53.40.jpg 2017-02-02 23.35.19.jpg 2017-02-04 12.02.27.jpg 2017-02-04 23.14.36.jpg 2017-02-11 21.40.54.jpg 2017-02-11 21.45.43.jpg 2017-02-17 11.23.03.jpg 2017-02-17 12.40.17.jpg

After a lot of sanding and cleaning I finally attempted painting it over a week ago which didn’t turn out the way I had hoped/expected. The colour is good (better in real life) but I could still see the sanding marks, etc.

2017-02-19 03.26.57.jpg 2017-02-19 15.20.25.jpg 2017-02-19 15.23.49.jpg

After consulting Erv and my brother in law it turned out I simply didn’t prep the disc well enough. I have been correcting the issues this past week with putty and a finer-grit sandpaper and hope to post a new update soon.

2017-02-22 19.02.45.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    YenChih Lin and Soulinertia like this.
  2. Asseyez

Asseyez New Member

What a great project. I may need to add this one to my bucket list of projects as well.

RiCor likes this.
  3. erv

erv Well-Known Member

very cool to see another disc to be retrofitted ! prep job is a must if you cant to have the paint look good. Will follow your progress here, thanks for the credit !

RiCor likes this.
  4. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thank you. It's a very rewarding project. I am learning a lot of new stuff (working with a Dremel, spray-painting, etc.) and it feels really rewarding :)
    Best of luck with your projects!

Thank you Erv, you deserve the credit!
    I jumped the gun a bit when I started painting the last time but learned a valuable lesson ;) I'm checking the results with a bright light now between coats and this helps a lot to find imperfections.

Started work on the electronics (testing the LED-strips) yesterday while is was waiting for the second coat of primer to dry. Man those strips are bright, hurt my eyes :p
    I got the RGBW version of the Neopixel strips to give me more headroom with colours, the price difference was minimal so I just went for it.
    Since I'll be running the project on two 3,7V Li-ion battery's (in parallel) I set the voltage on the PSU to 3,6V (bit lower to simulate lower battery voltages) and still everything looked more then bright enough. I'll probably limit the brightness in the Arduino sketch to conserve battery power.

Some more progress pics:
    2017-02-28 23.28.33.jpg 2017-02-28 23.31.35.jpg 2017-02-28 23.34.13.jpg

My schedule is a bit busy at the moment but I hope to get the paintwork done during the upcoming weekend.

5. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Hi all,

After a lot of sanding and painting I finally got a good result last weekend. The difference in color and look is really noticeable. After using putty and the grey primer and making sure I sanded the different layers to get rid of lingering imperfections the end result is now way better! I now have a much better understanding of using spray paint which dramatically improved the result this time. I am really glad I finally have a good look!

2017-03-04 00.25.13.jpg 2017-03-05 20.25.50.jpg

I installed Soulintertia’s disk upgrade kit yesterday and the result is profound. The disk looks great and also feels better now that it has more weight to it and isn’t flimsy anymore because the the c-rings are back. The only thing that remains on the outside is filling up the slots I cut on the side so that light can shine through there. I’ll probably use some silicone sealant for that.

2017-03-05 23.28.35.jpg 2017-03-06 08.01.46.jpg 2017-03-06 08.02.58.jpg

Now I can finally start work on the internals. :)

Soulinertia likes this.
  6. erv

erv Well-Known Member

looks good congrats !

RiCor likes this.
  7. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thank you Erv! :)

8. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, you really cleaned those up nice!

RiCor likes this.
  9. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thank you!
    I appreciate all the feedback!

Feels good to finally have it looking good. Finally got the hang of it and learned the basics for a new skill :)

10. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Re: Tron Legacy - Sam Flynn's Identity Disc

I’m finally getting to posting another update. After I finished work on the externals I still had to wait on 1 part (the Music Maker FeatherWing) before I could continue working on the electronics. I have been working on the disc on and off whenever I had time.

Last year I already started work on a wiring diagram but I recently refined it by using images for most of the circuit boards as I thought it would look better. Like the Adafruit learning guides. It’s not completely final yet, parts like the switches for external triggers / control are still a work in progress and will be addressed further as I work on the Arduino sketch.

Tron Identity Disk wiring diagram v1.0_.png
    As soon as I got the Maker Maker I started to hook everything up, I used the disc itself as a reference for the different cable lenghts. One I had the furthers wires hooked up I could uses those as a length reference for the rest. I was really glad to have ‘helping hand’ to hold the board and wires whilst I soldered everything in place.

TronDisc_Electronics_5.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_7.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_8.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_10.jpg

I used Erv’s sketch as a reference and after measuring for myself to be sure I cut the strips to the required amount of NeoPixels. After referencing Erv’s pictures and re-wachting part of the movie I found the correct strip orientation. Also I cut the strip for the outside ring as it was too wide.

TronDisc_Electronics_11.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_12.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_16.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_20.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_22.jpg

Aside from the Arduino sketch the only things left at the moment is finishing up the internals of the disc. For this I need to hook up the batteries, charging circuit, buttons, the usb connector for charging and a usb stick for storage. I have found that the Feather and the FeatherWing require more space so I will have to install those at an angle and make some aluminum foil covers to prevent unwanted shadowing. I’ll figure out all that as I go.

The sketch is still going to require some work but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel :)
    I won’t bore you with all the programming things here so I will put all that on my website soon. I also discussed the build there in more detail.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Krats and KojiroVance like this.
  11. erv

erv Well-Known Member

that's quite some work, he ! let there be light, great progress !

RiCor likes this.
  12. Soulinertia

Looking good! You've covered a lot of ground so far.

RiCor likes this.
  13. The5thElement

The5thElement Active Member

I have ordered one of the Spin Master discs so watching with interest. Thanks for the detailed build info.

RiCor likes this.
  14. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thank you Erv! It is indeed a lot a work, all the smalls thing take up a lot of time. I don't mind though, love figuring out all the little things and just taking my time.
    It great to learn all these new things. A journey of exploration :)

Thank you Soulinertia, good to hear! It felt like I was taking a long time but it's coming along nicely.
    Feels really good when I look at what's already done great to see the actual results. And also anxious to get that next thing on the list done, but taking it slow and step by step is really working out well :)

That is great! I wish you a good time getting your disc modded! Really was a great feeling when I got two discs I bought. That first step so to speak :)
    Glad you like the build log, hope it helps you later!

15. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Also, should you want to buy the same hardware, Adafruit now has a new version of the Music Maker with a built in amp. Saves you some hardware/space in the disc ;)

16. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Hello everyone,

Quick update concerning the hardware.
    I've been working on the disc and found out that the Bluefruit version of the Adafruit M0 Feather is not an option because of the Music Maker FeatherWing.
    Because the Music Maker requires pins that are also used by the BLE module, connecting via bluetooth does not work.
    I asked about this on the Adruit forum beforehand and was told it did not concern the Bluefruit board even though the learning guide mentions it. So I ordered the Bluefruit version to see for myself. Because I have a future project planned where I could use the Bluefruit version because that project does not involve other boards I was safe either way.

I have ordered the 'Adafruit M0 Basic Proto board' without the BLE module now.This only means that remote control via an app is definitley not an option anymore. I don't really mind that.

So, should anyone want to replicate this project with the same hardware, order the Basic Proto version of the Feather M0 ;)

17. The5thElement

Are you using WS2812B LED strips with 144 per metre? It looks like 2 x 1 metre lengths would be enough for the inner (double strip) and outer (single strip) rings yes?

I have a spare Particle Photon that I'm thinking of using for the LED sequencing. Not sure if a regular Arduino Nano would be capable enough.

What do you plan to do with sound effects? Is there a reason you chose the Music Maker instead of the Crystal Focus module?

Looking forward to your next update.

RiCor likes this.
  18. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Hi,
    I bought two strips of the 144 LED/m strips which use the SK6812RGBW. (https://www.adafruit.com/products/2848). I used 1 strip for the outer ring (88 NeoPixels) and 1 strip for the inner ring which consists of two strips of 59 NeoPixels.
    I decided to get the RGBW version as they are marginally more expensive, they do draw 80mA in stead of 60mA (per LED) at full blast but for this version of the disc I decided I wanted to have the option to be able to experiment with the colours more. And because I can control the brightness via the sketch I would be able to limit the power consumption.

I believe a Arduino nano could be okay but I'm no expert when it comes to those things ;)
    If I'm not mistaken Erv's disc uses a Nano, however in his disc the Arduino board only controls the LED strips.

The reason I got the Music Maker FeatherWing in stead of Erv's CF is because Erv's current revision of the CF is no longer compatible with the firmware he wrote for the CF version that he employed in his Identity Disc. That was a bit of a bummer when I heard that from him last year. Since he is very busy I did no bother to push him about it and decided I would have to find an alternative. At first I looked in to using the Adafruit Pro Trinket combined with a Adafruit Audio FX sound board but I really did not like the 16MB storage limitation. So when I recently found the Music Maker I decided to use that as it matches what I want way better. This then also led me to the Feather M0 board because it offered way more performance storage and memory.

The only thing I would still like is the motion detection that Erv's CF has to offer but at least I did find a alternative for "tap detection" by implementing a Vibration Sensor. I order bot a medium and easy trigger. I stil have to test which one is the best option. That will come in to play as soon as I get more work done on the sketch.
    I have another disc which I have not modded yet and I plan on making more stuff myself for that version such as the charging circuit and looking into making my own CF-like board but purely amed at sound and the movement stuff. It's nice to make stuff myself but this will entail a certain amount of reading and learning. And of course money. But I'm in no rush :)

I must say that has been a big part of this project, just trying stuff. It's not always easy to determine what will work best or what the size impact is of a part until I was able to actually hold it in my hand. I must say I kinda like that and as I go I am noticing that I'm getting better at it :)
    Looking into how Erv's disc was set up by reverse engineering the pictures, Erv's feedback, looking at stuff from Adafruit and other companies to figure out what works/gets the result I want, reading datasheets, there are so many apsects to doing this :)

19. erv

erv Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with your design ! regarding the CF custom firmware made back then, it's currently evolving to make it more compatible with 3rd party devices connected to it, and a friend of mine is also working on a disc replica, so, there should be options in the future to use the CF as a base for such a project.

RiCor likes this.
  20. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thank you Erv. I am glad with the design I have right now, I definitely do not feel bad about it.
    I would have like to have used your CF but not being able to use it has lead me to investigate my options further/for myself and this has been really informative. I have learned a lot from all the things I looked up to find the best parts to get wat I wanted ;)
    It has raised my understanding of electronics and what the different things do. I think that is the best thing about making things yourself, you learn so much from it :)

Great to hear that a new CF is in the works! I would definitely buy one right away instead of making my own as soon as it come out :D
    Definitely looking forward to that :)

21. The5thElement

RiCor I really appreciate the level of detail you've provided and will be following this thread with great interest.

And thanks Erv for contributing to the discussion. Your build is very impressive and a great reference.

I think the 144 LED per metre strips will be very bright. I'm wondering if the 60 LED per metre strips would look ok considering the reduced power usage. Or do you think the PWM dimming off the LEDs in the higher density strips will reduce the current enough to make the batteries last for a while?

Erv it looks like you used an Arduino Pro Mini in your build. Was this a 3.3v or 5v board? Do you think this is still a good choice?

I think I might go with Pro Mini for control and lighting and try out the Music Maker for sound. RiCor looking forward to your sound experiments.

I have two of the Sam discs so I will be looking to use the top halves from each one so I don't have to cut out the back C-ring, fill battery cover etc. I also have a Kevin Flynn white disc which has some a clear (not blue) ring parts which I might use.

I want to use the push buttons on each top half for control and avoid having a slider switch. Probably one button for power-up, blade activation, blade deactivation and power down...the other button to toggle the sound on-off. I'd also like to use magnetic contacts points on a display stand to feed the charging voltage...to avoid the need for an external usb socket.

RiCor likes this.
  22. The5thElement

RiCor likes this.
  23. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thank you. I appreciate it!
    Erv has indeed been a great help / source of inspiration.

Using the 60LED/m strips could be an option but you will have less granular effects. It is of course possible.
    I have recorded power consumption information on my website and currently it is quite high. But I do expect lower values because the eventual setup will not be using the strips in the same configuration as the Adafruit test sketch. As soon as I have further results from my sketch / setup I will let you know. I do think that dimming will get it done.

I don't know if the Pro mini can control the Music Maker because of the pins required. But again, I'm no Arduino expert so I could be wrong here.
    I believe Erv used a 3,3V version as the bateries work at 3,7. If you then use a 5V Arduino you have to use Logic Level shifter for the data lines that control the NeoPixel because of the voltage difference between the power on the NeoPixels and the operating voltage of the Arduino. Long story short, because your almost almost limited to ~3,7V because of the batteries, stick to 3,3V (or 3V) Arduino boards.

Currently my sketch uses 27052 bytes of memory, it is still quite bulky with the double functions for the LED strips but I like the fact that this is only 10% of the available space on the Feather M0. The Adafruit Pro Trinket I was thinking about before would be almost full with that sketch. So I like the fact that I have plenty of storage space on the M0 Feather, and also plenty of horse power.
    I do think that my final sketch will require the same or less then my current sketch because the current sketch is a combination of a test sketches from Adafruit for the Music Maker and the NeoPixels. And to get both NeoPixels controlled seperately (because of the different lenghts) I implemented the functions for the NeoPixels two times (to control the outer and inner ring seperately) to get things up and running quickly.

Your plans for your own modification sound really cool, you have a cool way of thinking about it.
    I still have to see how many buttons I will be using / require in the end. I'll work that out as I work on the sketch. As soon as I get to that.
    The USB jack is also still a point of concern for me bacause of the mechanical forces on it and the amount of room that the plug has. But I definitely want it as I will be implementing a storage feature.
    Looking forward to seeing your build in the future!

24. RiCor

RiCor New Member

It has at charging circuit but I consider that a useless feauture in this case because it charges at 100mA max. This would make charging the disc take way too much time. The USB LiIon/LiPoly charger v1.2 in conparison can charge at 1A max in comparison which would greatly reduce the time it takes to charge the disc.
    Since the USB LiIon/LiPoly charger v1.2 is to big for the disc I have already ordered all the required parts to make it myself on a smaller PCB. For now I am planning on hacking the Adafruit charger to a smaller footprint, thankfully I was able to look into that because Adafruit has the Fritzing files/images on their site.

Now that I'm getting the Feather M0 Basic Proto I'm thinking about implementing the charging circuit of the USB LiIon/LiPoly charger v1.2 onto the "Proto-section" of the Feather so I will require less space in the disc. I have and adapter PCB for the MCP73833-FCI/UN charging chip but it will require a certain amount of tinkering. More on that to come at a later date ;)
    I am not sure if the batteries I have now will fit well inside the disc so I might be going with 3 smaller batteries in the end. Battery life will certaintly be an issue but my primary focus if more on accuracy then on battery life. Thankfully I have my trusty Xtrorm 15600mAh battery bank :)

25. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Been a bit busy and have worked on the disc of and on. Finally made real progress in the last week.

All the hardware has been installed except for the Feathers as I had to order a different Feather, the M0 Basic Proto, as of today that is finally on it's way to me.
    I also had to order different batteries as the 18650 batteries I have are simply to big, unfortunately.
    Because I wasn't able to get the latching switch installed correctly I decided to order the Adafruit Power Switch Breakout to get around the issue and use momentary switches which are easier to install.
    One of the switches got ruined when I used epoxy to install it, I used hot glue for the rest which worked both easier and better.
    I updated the wiring diagram with all the new stuff and also added the status LED's for the Li-Ion charger which I forgot before.

The charger was hacked to fit inside the disc. Thanks to Adafruit publishing the PCB files I was able to figure this out beforehand. Everything else has now been installed so it's starting to get to the end of all the hardware stuff. Still have to work on the Arduino sketch but I'll figure that out too :)
    All the nitty gritty details are on my website.

TronDisc_Electronics_24.png TronDisc_Electronics_23.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_30.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_31.jpg
    TronDisc_Electronics_33.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_34.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_35.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_37.jpg
    TronDisc_Electronics_40.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_38.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_44.jpg RiCor - Tron Identity Disk wiring diagram v1.1.png

Soulinertia likes this.
  26. erv

erv Well-Known Member

*crowd noises* "make it sound make it sound make it sound"
    chopped PCB thumbs up !

RiCor likes this.
  27. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Hi Erv, thank you for the great crowd noises ;)
    Chopping up that PCB indeed felt very fulfilling. "Doesn't work this way?, then lets make it work that way" ^^

This morning I got all the remaining hardware parts except for the Power Switch Breakout which finally got back into stock yesterday. Tomorrow I will be installing all the other hardware in its final position. Unfortunately I have a previous engagement today in the form of a Roller Derby match. Which also isn't a bad way to spend the day ;)

I did make two videos during the build when I was running my first tests. Wasn't sure about sharing those as there is stuff in them which was still changing and I was still learning about certain aspects that I understand better now. But hey, what the heck, in later videos I'll show the final setup.
    so, for sound, click below :)
    - RiCor #1 - Tron Legacy Identity Disc - Sound test
    - RiCor #2 - Tron Legacy Identity Disc - Sound & Light test

28. erv

erv Well-Known Member

so cool it's alive !

RiCor likes this.
  29. Soulinertia

Wow, you guys are incredible! Keep it going RiCor! :thumbsup

RiCor likes this.
  30. The5thElement

Great update thanks RiCor.

What batteries are you going with?

31. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thanks everyone :)
    I'm glad it's al coming together. Especially getting the sound and the lights up and running was a great feeling. Just making real what you envision is one of the best feelings there is. ^^

Currently I got 3 "Emmerich 14500 3,7V 800mA batteries" Unfortunately battery capacity is limited in the 14500 size range...

32. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Glad to report that all the hardware has been installed. The only thing missing for now is the Power Switch breakout board which is on order but it’s a non-critical part for now.
    Usually I keep my posts in this thread shorter than the updates on my website but I felt this update should be posted in all its glory on both places.

I finally got to install the correct Feather M0 since I wasn’t able to use the Bluefruit version because that required pins needed by the Music Maker FeatherWing, which is of course more important.

Since space is at a premium I removed the capacitor for the right channel on the Music Maker and also removed the headphone jack since I could maybe use that on another project someday. On the Feather M0 I removed the JST connector since it’s charging circuit will not be used. It could charge at my desired 1A by changing a resitor but the power controller on the M0 has a 500mA limit for the entire board.
    Having the charging circuit completely separate made it easier for me to use a switch to disconnect the load from the charger/batteries whenever I charge the disc or just want to turn it off.

TronDisc_Electronics_45.jpg

With that done I went on to getting the boards in the disc and hooking up power to both boards, the amplifier to the Music Maker and the function switches and NeoPixel data pins to the Feather M0.
    Almost forgot the resistors on the datalines for the NeoPixels but that was quickly corrected and heatshrinked. Hot glue got everything installed.

I have not yet glued in the Feather M0 since I require some wiggle room to access it’s USB port until I get the final sketch done. I’m thinking about looking into some kind of USB hub thing so I can access both the disk’s storage and the Feather M0 with the disk sealed up. Not important for now but it’s on my mind.

TronDisc_Electronics_46.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_48.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_49.jpg

I continuously test everything to see if the hardware works correctly. Should I make a mistake I can easily retrace my steps instead of taking the disc apart.

TronDisc_Electronics_50.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_51.jpg

Since I now have the correct-size batteries I moved on to installing those. I wrapped them in a piece of aluminum foil (matt side out) to prevent there greenish color from interfering with the LED-strips. Then proceed with hooking those up in parallel since I want to increase the total capacity but keep the voltage at 3,7V.

TronDisc_Electronics_52.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_53.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_54.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_55.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_56.jpg

Next up was installing the USB-stick. Like Erv said when he created his Identity Disc; “It’s a freankin’ storage disc or WHAT?”. Exactly Erv, Excatly! ;)
    I took a 32GB Sandisk stick apart with a screwdriver, a quick twist and it was open. Not much to see inside but it will do just fine.

TronDisc_Electronics_57.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_58.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_59.jpg

I now hooked the chargers status LED’s on a breadboard with two 470Ω resitors. The yellow LED indicates “charging”, the green on lights up when it’s done charging. I plan on replacing the yellow LED with an orange LED but didn’t have one lying around. The LED’s final location will probably end up being on the battery side of the speaker.

I plugged it into my Antec charging hub with my USB power meter and saw it drawing just over 1A when charging which is perfect (load disconnected). Since I want to connect it to my PC I bought a Y-splitter cable so I can plug one end into a PC and the other into a charger. With this cable the black plug is meant for the PC. Once I plugged the red plug in as well the draw on the black plug went down to ~400mA which is well inside the official maximum of ~500mA that most USB ports on a computer can supply. Nice! :D

TronDisc_Electronics_60.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_61.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_62.jpg

Right now the disc looks like this. As soon as the Adafruit Power Switch Breakout arrives I can install that final piece. But for now a breadboard will do to light it up :)

TronDisc_Electronics_63.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_64.jpg

While I worked on the disc I noticed I forgot to add the resitors for the charger’s status LED’s on my wiring diagram and also screwed up the orientation of the LED. I had in my mind that the charger had the positive side but it turned out to be ground. Oeps ;)
    So, new version of the diagram:

RiCor - Tron Identity Disk wiring diagram v1.2.png

The batteries were already charged so I tested the disc out right away without it umbilical cord (a.k.a. the connection to my LAB power supply. Really great to hold it in my hand and move it around without having the cable restricting my movement!

[ A new video showing the Identity Disc in its current form is the works! :) ]

33. erv

erv Well-Known Member

almost finished, congrats ! can't wait to see it spin. Cool addition for the USB flash drive. Indeed a must-have IMO !

RiCor likes this.
  34. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thanks!
    It's a great feeling to get to this point. Working on the sketch for the disc will also be easier now as I don't need my power supply to supply power to the NeoPixels. I can now use the batteries. Love it :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wednesday night I finally connected the disc to my computer for the first time. I proceeded with copying al the files related to the project to the disc ^^
    I also made a before and after comparison using my second disc which is still original. I must say I like the darker black on my modded version better ;)

TronDisc_Electronics_65.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_66.jpg

Also made another video showing of the disc’s current state, how looks when lit up and I hook it up to my laptop. It’s not spinning yet but that will come soon.
    Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Jedifyfe, erv and Soulinertia like this.
  35. aeseven7

aeseven7 Active Member

Huge Tron fan here, and this is just jaw dropping man. Outstanding work!

RiCor likes this.
  36. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thank you for the compliment! Glad you like it!

37. The5thElement

Wow that's looking great! Thanks again for sharing.

Gradually getting the parts together for a similar build. Settled on an Arduino Pro Mini 3.3v, Audio FX Mini soundboard (plus mono amp) and a PowerBoost 500 charger board.

Good luck with the spin coding.

RiCor likes this.
  38. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thanks The5thElement :)

Cool to hear more people are modding discs and making them better / bringing them to life ^^

You're hardware is similar to an earlier version of my disc (when I was still planning, etc). I did go for a Adafruit Pro Trinket 3.3V which has a little more clock speed and storage. Don't know if it would matter for this project though.
    The soundboard will definitely be fine for the disc's main function ;)

Good luck with your project!

I plan on making a rational video to explain what I did, why I made certain choices, etc.
    Also have a technical video in mind which I will make as soon as yet another part (nothing big) arrives later this week.

The5thElement likes this.
  39. Maybe Magpie

Maybe Magpie New Member

This rules and I hope someday I can upgrade my disc to do sound too! Great work man.

Also, any chance I could get some measurements off of that stock disc? Diameters, angles, etc. I want to make a 3d print that is compatible with SoulInertia's kits so people don't have to drop $60 on a toy from ebay, and I screwed up my original disc when I failed at dremeling.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    RiCor likes this.
  40. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thanks!

I still have the coding to get done which will require some tinkering, haven't been able to work on that because my schedule filled up again.

Finally worked on getting the charging status LED's installed yesterday. Forgot to measure the disc for you but I should be able to do that later today.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One_M8 met Tapatalk

41. Maybe Magpie

Maybe Magpie New Member

Awesome, thanks! The more measurements the better - whatever will let me accurately recreate the disk in a modelling program so we can get the shell printable.

42. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Measured the disc. The measurements should be close to by a millimeter off maybe.
    - Outer diameter: 22,8cm
    - Inner diameter: 11cm
    - Total hight on the inside: 2,5cm
    - Hight until the split: ~1,3cm

Angles are a bit more difficult for me to measure. It does slope down from 2,5 to about 1,5cm so a rough 1cm slope. My math is not good enough to calculate the accompanying angle though ;)

Not really important for this but;
    (I also read before that the Identity Discs made by Spinmaster are smaller then the movie props were. I don't have any links handy for that though.)

Good luck with your project, I hope this helps you.

Looking forward to see your results. Then I can learn from that for when I start working on my suit :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  43. Soulinertia

That's correct. The Spinmaster discs are sized to the smaller identity discs that the female programs used at about 9". I read that the hero discs used by the male actors were an inch larger in diameter.

Maybe Magpie and RiCor like this.
  44. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Thanks!

I just realized that the outer diameter I measured included the blade on the outside aswell. I gestimate that adds about ~1cm but I'll measure that again when I get home.

45. RiCor

RiCor New Member

I double checked. The blade adds 1cm on both sides of the disc. So without the blade the total diameter is ~20,8cm

46. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Back with another update! :)

Unfortunately the last few weeks have again been busy so I didn’t get much work done on the disc.
    I did finally get all the hardware finished now.

The Adafruit Push-button Power Switch Breakout has been installed and I added the 1000µF 10V capacitor to the output. In the NeoPixel Überguide Adafruit specifies you should add a capacitor to the power input of the NeoPixel strips to prevent power spikes from damaging the NeoPixels. I opted to add the capacitor to the main power input which also works and saved me from more complex wiring.

TronDisc_Electronics_67.jpg

I also installed the status LED’s for the charger so I could see the charging status on the C-ring on the back of the disc.
    After calculation the correct resistor values I glued the LED’s together so I could solder the anodes of the LED’s together. After that I hooked up the wiring and heatshrinked everything.

TronDisc_Electronics_68.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_69.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_70.jpg

I calculated the required resistors by checking the forward voltage on my LAB power supply which turned out to be 2.5V for both LED’s. The maximum current draw turned out to be 2mA for the green LED and 50mA for the orange LED. With those numbers I calculated the required resistor values using this site (link= http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz).

The disc now also has it’s charging status LED’s installed. The pictures turned out a bit grainy but it still shows the result with which I’m very happy.
    I do plan on hooking up a voltage divider to the Feather M0 so that can measure the battery voltage and have a red LED come on when the batteries are running low.

TronDisc_Electronics_71.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_73.jpg TronDisc_Electronics_74.jpg

When I was putting everything together I did realize I made a mistake, not a big one but next time I will definitely not repeat this. What I did was hook up the LED’s power to the output of the charger in my design instead of to the input of the charger. This means my LED’s are powered by the voltage the charger put’s out and this varies during charging. So I decided to calculate the resistors using 4,1V of input voltage which is the maximum output voltage of the charger. Since I glued the charging board in place already it’s too much hassle to correct it. For the purpose of giving me status indication it still works fine. So it’s not an issue but it does warrant a new version of the schematic and I will not be repeating this in the next disc I modify ;)

The resistor values on there are calculated with a 5V power source as a reference. Always keep in mind to calculate your own resistor values as those might be different depending on the LED’s that are used.

RiCor - Tron Identity Disk wiring diagram v1.3.png

To concluded for now, a side by side of the original and my modified disc.
    I did notice I forgot to add the LED bezels in the top half of the disc so there is some more to come hardware wise. Those also will be getting white LED’s so they’re lit up.

TronDisc_Electronics_72.jpg

Maybe Magpie likes this.
  47. Maybe Magpie

Maybe Magpie New Member

Thanks a bunch for those measurements! I'll get back to you when I've got something worth sharing on that front. TRON fans gotta stick together in these trying dead-fandom days, hee. Hopefully we'll get a new movie soon (without Jared Leto, I friggin' hope)

RiCor likes this.
  48. RiCor

RiCor New Member

No problem! Glad to help ;)

We have to stick together indeed, that's why I'm sharing my build and plan in sharing other stuff I do both here, on my website and on YouTube. I feel it's very fulfilling to help others as stuff others have shared helps me.

Thing is people usually stay interested in something for a short time. In the beginning I didn't think of doing a Tron Cosplay / bring parts of the movie to life either. So we might still see more Tron fans popping up ;)
    We might inspire new people like others before us inspired us.

I'm looking forward to a new movie, but only if it has decent production quality with the right actors that do the part/movie justice. We'll have to wait and see.

49. Maybe Magpie

Maybe Magpie New Member

855811b42a.png

Houston, we have disc-off! I modeled out the specs for the disc holder I got off Shapeways as well (thank the users for calipers) to make sure it'd interface correctly and huzzah! Now I just need to properly place the bezel mounts. The measurements match up, so thanks. You're a lifesaver! I'll cut it into quarters so smaller printers can just print 4 (well, 8, considering there's two halves) of the same file and bam.

RiCor likes this.
  50. RiCor

RiCor New Member

Look great! Thanks for sharing, glad I could help you :)

I like how you took smaller printers into consideration in your design. Good thinking!
    I might get one in the future but I'll probably start out with a smaller one first so stuff like this would help someone like me a lot ^^

Good luck with the rest of your project!