Tron Legacy Costume

i was interested in replicating these costumes for a photoshoot but googled and came here. and do i say WOW. props to alll the dedicated people. wonderful community!

ONTOPIC:
Wish i could buy from the junkyard sooner than 45 days ><
PS are there any hazards to using EL? (sry noob question i know)

It's radioactive so your junk won't work right after a while. /sarcasm

to my knowledge no one has found any hazards aside from physical damage to the actual EL substance (tape/wire/panel) as all are fragile in their own rights.
and welcome to the forum. if you're daring enough, you should try to build one. :)

so my rinzler costume actualy just broke... so im gonna make a more better accurate one with my dad. does anyone think they can tell me the best way to get those places on the armor to stick up like rinzler's?
thanks
ps. i dont care how long it takes either, if it needs to take long, it will, just as long as it looks accurate :) please help guys!

i was interested in replicating these costumes for a photoshoot but googled and came here. and do i say WOW. props to alll the dedicated people. wonderful community!

ONTOPIC:
Wish i could buy from the junkyard sooner than 45 days ><
PS are there any hazards to using EL? (sry noob question i know)

buy your inverters and equipment from reputable sources. We had one person have his inverter melt while it was on his back, and he wondered what that burning smell was.

as with anything electric (and in this case battery powered) the hazards will always be electric shock and exposure to corrosive chemicals if the batteries go south on you while you're wearing the costume.

So I go to Florida for a week on vacation and when I came back this thread shot up by 10 pages. //foreverreading

Update on a photo :>
I know some of you wanted to see my craptastic Quorra helmet :<

2poulht.jpg

Please read my blogger before sending me a PM

or better yet, check out Volpin's daft punk progression. It's very inspiring!

Last edited:
Great helmet, Sheepgirl. I'm using the same technique to make one for my wife. Glad someone else came to the same conclusions on how to form the helmet in three pieces.

I managed to snag myself a Kevin Flynn disc at Disneyland today. Sure I'm not a fan of spending 25 bucks on something that would cost 14 at Target if I managed to find one, but it still beats spending 50-100. Sucks that I'm going to have to paint the ring

I managed to snag myself a Kevin Flynn disc at Disneyland today. Sure I'm not a fan of spending 25 bucks on something that would cost 14 at Target if I managed to find one, but it still beats spending 50-100. Sucks that I'm going to have to paint the ring

I'm there with you -_-. A friend of mine found a Kevin disc, in a small-Georgia town's Target, after I waffled about buying one, when TWO different Target's here, had them.

My boyfriend and I went back the very next day, after our "waffle" session...and both discs were gone! GEH!

But now I'm going to have to paint it silver for the Siren costume...*bites lower lip in shame...*

so my rinzler costume actualy just broke... so im gonna make a more better accurate one with my dad. does anyone think they can tell me the best way to get those places on the armor to stick up like rinzler's?
thanks
ps. i dont care how long it takes either, if it needs to take long, it will, just as long as it looks accurate :) please help guys!

To be honest, it appears that the molded parts are all attach and or connected by the patterned undersuit. I'd say the molded parts are a latex/rubber, very similar to what they use to make the batman movie suits. The disk hub is definatly a hard plastic.

You could always swap the rings into a Sam disc and then do whatever you need to the innards, that way you'll be able to keep the white disc intact. I was planning on doing this for Clu, but after scouring four Targets, two Walmarts, and a Meijer, I think I just might go the kit route since who knows if I'll find one; I know very little about circuitry anyway, so that's probably a better option for me. It would have been nice of spin master gave each disc its own sku so it'd be easier to search store inventory.

I work at Target and I've never even seen them there haha. We havent gotten a shipment of discs since I started looking and the stores only down to one Sam disc

I'm there with you -_-. A friend of mine found a Kevin disc, in a small-Georgia town's Target, after I waffled about buying one, when TWO different Target's here, had them.

My boyfriend and I went back the very next day, after our "waffle" session...and both discs were gone! GEH!

But now I'm going to have to paint it silver for the Siren costume...*bites lower lip in shame...*

Well I actually just painted the rings on my Sam one green and my friend wants his to glow in the dark too so I just figured I'd paint it as well. I was hesitant at first given how hard it was to find the disc but since my sole purpose of buying it was for the costume I decided what the hell

You could always swap the rings into a Sam disc and then do whatever you need to the innards, that way you'll be able to keep the white disc intact. I was planning on doing this for Clu, but after scouring four Targets, two Walmarts, and a Meijer, I think I just might go the kit route since who knows if I'll find one; I know very little about circuitry anyway, so that's probably a better option for me. It would have been nice of spin master gave each disc its own sku so it'd be easier to search store inventory.

This is what I'm using for CLU, you can get it in big rolls. 2 layers of 2mm foam, with el tape sandwiched in between to create depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at Target and I've never even seen them there haha. We havent gotten a shipment of discs since I started looking and the stores only down to one Sam disc

It seems as if they're at the Target's in smaller towns. I'm glad you picked one up for a better price than $100 though! That freaked me out when I saw they were going for that much ><!

It seems as if they're at the Target's in smaller towns. I'm glad you picked one up for a better price than $100 though! That freaked me out when I saw they were going for that much ><!
That's crazy. I picked up three discs on Ebay as a lot, Sam, Rinzler, and Kevin, and paid $70 for the three.

Tim

Wow, this is what I've been saying about the discs! They're getting rare, and the Target's in NYC have been having them on sale for $13.99 so even Sam discs are getting hard to find. They are most likely trying to get rid of their stock so they can get ready for the next batch of Disney goodies that come in, whatever they may be.

Like I said, as soon as a toy line's initial run is over, that's it. I can only imagine what these will be going for come Halloween when everyone starts thinking about costumes. Luckily, my pair of Rinzler discs came via UPS yesterday, and I can't wait to start upgrading them. I opened one of them already, and boy does it smell weird. I don't know what kind of plastic they used for this but it sure stinks.

rinzlerdiscsx.jpg

Behold, mint in the package! With the pull tab thingies still in tact. Awwwright.

Also, after finally holding one of these in my hands, I've realized that they are alot thinner than I initially thought. I don't think it would be too much bulk to stack two of these on a Rinzler suit. However, I still wanna build one that can separate. And Soulintertia, you were right about there being limited space inside these. I will get to work soon on some kind of prototype to get these going though either way. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back