Tron Legacy Costume

As the weekend nears and I am refitting some toys for the Dec 18th event I am set to attend. Here's a look at the LightSword (based mildly on the Baton-Sword, a lightsaber Rebel Blue LED that I need to blacken the hilt of) and the effect of ELWire without reflective device set in the undershell of my helmet (will be hidden within my large hood and thus act as a backlighting to the helm and hood from within.

The ELWire is a nearly dead match for the Blue-Cyan of the saber's blade.

155243_168929016472917_100000674587093_385001_6771738_n.jpg

I am no cos-person by any means, so the hilt on the saber might remain silver if I can't get it colored black and to my intent. best part, it can (and might) be used in a fully contact staged combat scene.

You know what I'd try and do? Get a piece of PVC pipe that the saber hilt might be able to fit into, find a washer that has a hole in it the same diameter of the blade, and fit it to one end of the PVC pipe and glue it down hardcore with epoxy. Then I'd say cut some designs into the new PVC hilt, paint it black, then insert the saber once it's done.

To mount it in there, see if you can't temporarily attach a piece of foam to the pommel of the saber hilt, and then directly under where the piece of foam would sit, drill a hole through the PVC, and after the saber is inserted, put a bolt the length of the PVC's diameter though the hole and it should keep the saber steady within the new PVC shroud.

Jury rigged it'd be, but it may end up looking darned cool. And if the PVC is too wide to make it a baton/sword handle, turn it into a staff to offset the width with length.

I was considering the PVC route, but the width in hand would be rather wide, making spinning and fighting very limited. Good thought though.

As to spears.. yeah, I gotz spearz:
31880_121601187872367_100000674587093_151489_5880722_n.jpg

One method of making a functional fighting quality lightsaber is to use a standard Stainless Steel Sink Tube (the 12in tubes found, as you might think, under your household sink) and adding a special 1.25in diam adaptor tube that holds the LED and saber blade.

This is a PVC test I did last summer for a friend to see if we could mount the metal adaptor into a 1.5in PVC collar then set the whole bugger on a PVC shaft.

The entire spear is about 6ft 5in tall with a 15in blade length. The battery pack (4xAA) is in the lower end cap section. The weapon can hold up to spinning, staged combat and style forms, but I would not use it in a full on battle. I was thinking of a hooking up a full stainless steel version some time this January.

PS: For people that have ordered 12V inverters from ElWirePros, have you gotten their $4 extra 8AA battery pack, and if you have, do they solder it on for you or do you just get it as a separate piece. I only ask as I don't own a soldering iron, don't know how to solder, and really don't have a location to do it in. Thx.

It comes pre-soldered. In fact I got mine with an on/off switch. The power pack itself detatches from the inverter by way of a 2-pin connector.

It's all plug and play. You don't have to do a thing.

It comes pre-soldered. In fact I got mine with an on/off switch. The power pack itself detatches from the inverter by way of a 2-pin connector.

It's all plug and play. You don't have to do a thing.

I ordered 2: 12v 2000mah (@ 300mah drain, should run constant for 5-6 hours each) Battery Packs and soldered quick connects onto the power leads. I have this odd dislike for AA batteries bouncing around my pouches. Not sure why I don't like them loose, just my way.

I ordered 2: 12v 2000mah (@ 300mah drain, should run constant for 5-6 hours each) Battery Packs and soldered quick connects onto the power leads. I have this odd dislike for AA batteries bouncing around my pouches. Not sure why I don't like them loose, just my way.

Yeah, I bought the Duracell rechargable high-drain batteries (2650 mah) AA HR6/DC1500 NiMH.

I'm doing a power test tonight, to see how many EL designs I can run off of 1 power pack at full brightness. Going to try to settle on a 4 hour goal but I'll see what it takes for 5-6 hours.

At that length of time, my back will give out before the power cells do. :unsure

disney has released over 300 related images of tron legacy. tons of pics for references for costumes, sets, props... :)

Images and posters for Tron: Legacy

Thanks! Spent a good hour drooling over those photos. Even made a SIREN concept art my desktop at work, finally changed it after almost 3 years. :p

I am SOOOO making this concept art version for comic con. Face mask and all. Only might have to add some nose holes to breath so I don't suffocate :lol

Tron_Legacy_12913396208598.jpg

I think the tron sign would be fun, I don't know where Compass is staying, so doing the trek across the hill and back again might not be good for time and traffic (even though we don't have to wait in line we do have to park) But on the plus side we could always carpool.

In my "regular" life (LOL) I'm a photographer so I will have my nice Canon DSLR for shooting photos with me that night. I can even bring a tripod to get everyone in frame if we do the tron sign. and YES we would most certainly stop traffic if we do.

I'm staying at the Hilton @ Universal Citywalk.

The group will have to come 'get me' as I'm not walking out onto the streets of LA by myself in a TRON costume. :)

I'm up for anything you guys have in mind. I changed my return flight to a later one to allow for sufficient 'recovery time'.

Great! OK let's save the TRON sign picture taking traffic stopping fun till after the movie. When I went to take my pics the other night it was around 11pm and hardly any traffic. Although it was a Monday night this will be Thursday night on Sunset Blvd. totally different story. Oh well, I don't mind risking getting run over standing in the middle of the street island to get a perfect shot. Yes, I am crazy :eek

So, let's say around 5-5:30pm we meet at the Universal City Walk Hard Rock cafe premiere night, unless there is another restaurant/bar of choice or wherever you all would like to meet, and take it from there.

Whatda ya all say???

You should so do it!
I love the concept art, but like all concepts, it always gets simplified in production.
Almost done with my costume. I've only got the legs and staff left to do.
Here's a progress pic.

costume.jpg

Last edited:
"Greetings Fellow Programers!"(in classic Flynn's voice here)! I have all forgotten that I was a member here already, but been a 'lurker' to this particular forum and just amazed & surprised how so many are coming up with their excellent costume design for the movie! I see that so many of you put so much effort and creativity to make your suits/costume anf I must say this is awesome. :) I too am going through a 'creative-phase' for my TRON-ish attire for my movie-midnight + two more showing that weekend here on the east coast(NJ/NY area). For me, I'm on a VERY strick budget(thank you CRAP ECONOMY & lost of job):cry, so I have to stick to what leftover resources I can use:spandex fabrics and some Polyethylene foam sheets. I'm not really gonna go for any KNOWN character costume from the movie(for now since no time and no available material to do that), but I am gonna let my CREATIVE-MIND take control of making my suit with what I got and still try to keep it TRON-Theme. I was able to get my EL wire and inverters, but waiting for my used catcher's helmet in the mail. As for the spandex fabric choices, I can't recall reading somewhere online that it 'wasn't a good/best choice to use when it comes to attaching EL wire to it'. But I guess I'm just gonna go 'against that' and find a way to MAKE IT WORK(I can sew real good and my crazy creative mind usually find a last minute answer that usually works). But I have this leftover fabric I used for my SDCC 2010 Masquerade costume-entry I wore it for(and won a prize as well) that still amazes me and others that I want to use again:

3527-vn-019.jpg

3528-tron-2-1.jpg

I LOVE the '3-D Grid-like' effect it gives out and when light hits it in a angle - OH MAN! I also strangely like this early concept of THIS TRON CHARACTER just because IT'S DIFFERENT, so I may base some ideas of my suit from this! This particular fabric will use for the 'body armor' designs with Polyethylene foam cut-out shapes within my suit.:love
So, I will do my best to get it done and show it to all here that may be interested in its' developement. Thank you all for sharing such a GREAT interest of this upcoming movie(I still can remember how I was like 12 and watched the original movie in AWE and hypnotic amazement)! :lol

Last edited:
You should so do it!
I love the concept art, but like all concepts, it always gets simplified in production.
Here's a progress pic.

Fantastic job!!! Way to go!!!

Great! OK let's save the TRON sign picture taking traffic stopping fun till after the movie. When I went to take my pics the other night it was around 11pm and hardly any traffic. Although it was a Monday night this will be Thursday night on Sunset Blvd. totally different story. Oh well, I don't mind risking getting run over standing in the middle of the street island to get a perfect shot. Yes, I am crazy :eek

So, let's say around 5-5:30pm we meet at the Universal City Walk Hard Rock cafe premiere night, unless there is another restaurant/bar of choice or wherever you all would like to meet, and take it from there.

Whatda ya all say???

You mean Friday right? the 17th is a Friday. and yes it will probably be crazy out on sunset no matter what time we get there especially on a weekend night, but after we see the movie I think we'll all be so jazzed it wont matter about traffic. so whatever everyone wants to do is cool with me.

yes 5-530 is cool with me citywalk hardrock. see you there!!!

You should so do it!
Here's a progress pic.

costume.jpg

Wow!!!! Incredible job and you must be so proud :thumbsup I know I would be. I am trying to figure out where all your wire connections are being powered too. I am going to have hidden wires and extention plug n play connectors for my el wire going everywhere eventually ending to my project box on my back. Excellent work!!! Please tell me you got tix to go with our group to the premiere on the 17th at Universal??? If not. Get yours! I hope there are even seats left.

Fantastic job!!! Way to go!!!

You mean Friday right? the 17th is a Friday. and yes it will probably be crazy out on sunset no matter what time we get there especially on a weekend night, but after we see the movie I think we'll all be so jazzed it wont matter about traffic. so whatever everyone wants to do is cool with me.

yes 5-530 is cool with me citywalk hardrock. see you there!!!

Yes duh!! Friday. Why the hell did I think it was Thursday?!?!?! That's cuz I am delirious and can't think straight anymore from working around the clock on my costume.

Yay!!! Ok Hard Rock meet up around 5 it us then!! Movie then fun on Sunset blvd. :p

Wow!!!! Incredible job and you must be so proud :thumbsup I know I would be. I am trying to figure out where all your wire connections are being powered too. I am going to have hidden wires and extention plug n play connectors for my el wire going everywhere eventually ending to my project box on my back. Excellent work!!! Please tell me you got tix to go with our group to the premiere on the 17th at Universal??? If not. Get yours! I hope there are even seats left.

Thanks. I am happy with the overall look. My only regret was tapering the edges with a dremel which left a rough surface rather than a sharp straight edge of a scissor cut. I wanted the top layer of foam to look less like a glued on panel. It also looks a little messy underneath with foam patches holding the wires in place. The 12v battery pack is in the identity disk holder and the inverter and fader is in a hole cut into the foam of the chest. All the EL wire lengths(about 10) have all been tree spliced from 1 speaker wire to the 5 way splitter at the inverter. The other 4 quick connectors are for each gauntlet and each shin pad. I am still trying to figure out how to reel in the extra wiring once I'm wearing it since mobility is limited. I got so many velcro straps going that I'll be making popping and tearing sounds as i walk. LOL. I even designed the hip pieces to come apart so I can sit down.

I will definitely be there on friday! I already got a tix for H18 next to compass72. I can't wait!
I just checked and the seats are about 40% sold.
Still time to get in:
AMC CityWalk Stadium 19 Showtimes and Tickets

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back