Tron Legacy Costume

Base layer testing. I don't think I look too bad. I need to add boots, armor, and EL lighting.

Should I use yellow or red EL light to go Clu or Rinzler?

"You know you need it, hey, I need it too, alright
you know you need it, it's good for you"

Question for all using EL: Where did you get your drivers/inverters from? I'm seeing about $8 for a 12V + $4 for the add on 8 AA battery pack. I just hat that the shipping is almost as much as the Inverter itself. If anyone has any better leads on a 12V inverter, please let me know.

Also, Compass, I know you said in some post earlier that there was one place that you will only do business through whenever buying EL supplies, but I can't seem to find it among the 52 PAGES of posts (I even searched the statistics on your profile and couldn't find it). Could you reiterate the website for the company again?

Thanks!

For the EL sheeting, I buy from Electroluminesence-inc, but that's only if you go the EL Sheet route.
E-Luminates

If you need inverters, I buy from elwirepros.com. They also sell EL wire that's already been cut to a specified length with the adaptors already soldered on. Anni has also recommended coolneon.com.

elwirepros.com and e-luminates accounted for 95% of the el equipment I needed for my costume.

I'm planning to see how viable it is to heatmold "boot-covers" from eva foam, stylin them and then plasti-dippin em.

As for gloves... gonna just sew my own pair.

That's exactly what I want to do when I make my new pair of Quorra boots, but won't be till next year. No way do I have time for that now.

Craft foam is awesome to work with but in the long run when you need a flexible material, it just doesn't hold up with all the wear.

So when we go out for the pre-party before the premiere, where are we going and what are we drinking?

What's a good TRON drink?

Something with Hpnotiq in it?

roqcandy1.png

Glad you brought this up ;) I just sent actordiver a message on FB about meeting up around 5, maybe even 4 now (whenever the sun sets), at the big light up TRON sign on Sunset blvd. for us to take group pics and individual pics.

LOL! I can imagine what traffic stopping we will make :lol

Then we can head over to Universal City walk and the Hard Rock cafe is right next door to the movie theater. Get liqoured up there then head to the movie. Remember, we all have assigned seats so there won't be any 2 hour lines to wait in, THANK GOD!

Let me know what you think. I thought going to take pics at the TRON light up sign was a good idea for you Compass since you are traveling so far for this, get as much as you can out of this TRON trip :cool

WHOOO HOOOO finally have some down time here to post some progress pics of my Quorra chest armor in latex. It is cut out and the sizing is almost finished to fit my body.

Let me say it has been fun and a complete ***** doing this. When you don't have a body replica, trying to size latex to yourself is almost impossible, but I have finally got it to work, took about 3 days to cut out and size to me. I still need the neck design cut outs which I am saving for last. The bodyform I have the armor on in my photos here is not my size so that is why it looks loose fitting, it is tight fitting to my body. IE: why I say you need a replica of your torso to fit latex/rubber any of that perfectly to you.

For Quorra's raised back, humpback if you will, I am simply inserted a bowl straight from my kitchen cabinet. Thought I would have to add straps to harness it to stay on my back but the latex is so tight it just sits there, floating on my back perfectly. Thank goodness. Saves more valuable construction time I am running out of. A hole will be cut out of the back center of the latex so the hub part where the disk will sit will stick out. Then I am adding rare earth magnets which is what is actually going to hold the disk in place.

I decided against the zipper in the back with the humpback issue and disk, would be too much trouble, so, I am getting into this thing via the sides which I have added metal black snaps used for leather clothing. I will then hide these snaps with some latex covered on top of them. I tried everything to get into this thing slipping it over my head. It ain't gonna happen. It is too tight and will destroy my el wiring job attachments.

Can't see them but the lines are drawn in silver gel pen, and I am still adding the design, which I will use 3M clear scotch tape to pull my drawings off and add them to pattern to start the EL WIRE light strip work.

Let's see well, here are my photos. Sorry I can't have step by step of everything I have described here but you get the picture. I am so exhausted after doing one thing, I almost forget to take pics, this is draining.

I also made a trip down Sunset blvd. to visit the huge light up TRON sign. I took a piece of my Quorra arm armor with me to test it in the lighting to see what works best. My boyfriend's SLR camera was dying so had to use my point and shoot. If you are going out there, take a good camera, SLR would be the best. I am not too thrilled about my shots here, they are both taken with no flash and at ISO 1600 Canon Powershot camera, and we took a million it seems. After all this work you want to make sure you get one decent shot of your costume. Definately using his good camera next time when I go out there with my costume.

Last edited:
wiring the back with the disc mount.
scaled.php

possibly velcro to make the el panels removable for repair & replacement?
scaled.php

olivia wilde mentioned during the twit live tron legacy special(that was broadcasted today) about wearing neoprene and rubber. i assume some parts of the back where the disc mount attaches had neoprene based from the 1st pic above. the rubber was probably referring to the moulded foam.

I said this exact thing about the suit and the lights two months ago, with a large post about it, I'm very happy to see I went the right way!!

WHOOO HOOOO finally have some down time here to post some progress pics of my Quorra chest armor in latex. It is cut out and the sizing is almost finished to fit my body.

Let me say it has been fun and a complete ***** doing this. When you don't have a body replica, trying to size latex to yourself is almost impossible, but I have finally got it to work, took about 3 days to cut out and size to me. I still need the neck design cut outs which I am saving for last. The bodyform I have the armor on in my photos here is not my size so that is why it looks loose fitting, it is tight fitting to my body. IE: why I say you need a replica of your torso to fit latex/rubber any of that perfectly to you.

For Quorra's raised back, humpback if you will, I am simply inserted a bowl straight from my kitchen cabinet. Thought I would have to add straps to harness it to stay on my back but the latex is so tight it just sits there, floating on my back perfectly. Thank goodness. Saves more valuable construction time I am running out of. A hole will be cut out of the back center of the latex so the hub part where the disk will sit will stick out. Then I am adding rare earth magnets which is what is actually going to hold the disk in place.

I decided against the zipper in the back with the humpback issue and disk, would be too much trouble, so, I am getting into this thing via the sides which I have added metal black snaps used for leather clothing. I will then hide these snaps with some latex covered on top of them. I tried everything to get into this thing slipping it over my head. It ain't gonna happen. It is too tight and will destroy my el wiring job attachments.

Can't see them but the lines are drawn in silver gel pen, and I am still adding the design, which I will use 3M clear scotch tape to pull my drawings off and add them to pattern to start the EL WIRE light strip work.

Let's see well, here are my photos. Sorry I can't have step by step of everything I have described here but you get the picture. I am so exhausted after doing one thing, I almost forget to take pics, this is draining.

I also made a trip down Sunset blvd. to visit the huge light up TRON sign. I took a piece of my Quorra arm armor with me to test it in the lighting to see what works best. My boyfriend's SLR camera was dying so had to use my point and shoot. If you are going out there, take a good camera, SLR would be the best. I am not too thrilled about my shots here, they are both taken with no flash and at ISO 1600 Canon Powershot camera, and we took a million it seems. After all this work you want to make sure you get one decent shot of your costume. Definately using his good camera next time when I go out there with my costume.

Nice job Anisse!
About the wiring...how does it behave in the elbows when wearing? I'm very interested if it does unglue or how does it behave.

And BTW...is that a DeLorean???? :confused

Nice job Anisse!
About the wiring...how does it behave in the elbows when wearing? I'm very interested if it does unglue or how does it behave.

And BTW...is that a DeLorean???? :confused

Thanks!!! Ahh yes, I think you asked me about the arm armor in an earlier post. Sorry I didn't answer, too much on my mind and extremely busy.

I haven't tried that yet. I am redoing the upperhalf of my bodysuit. But if the method I have in mind works, which it should, it will be perfect and my arm armor will stay attached permanately to the mateial on the arms of my bodysuit.

I am basically going to use contact cement to my suit and rubber cement to the latex armor. Attach them together and hope for a miracle this will stay down. I do not want to use Velcro and it probably won't even work anyway.

Rubber cement reacts very well to contact cement and makes a good bond. I have to turn the fabric on my bodysuit into rubber basically in order for the latex to adhere to the fabric.

This will hopefully keep the armor secure to my joints (elbow area) flexible parts of my body so when I move around the latex armor and wire will all stay in place. The el wire strips are currently adhered to the latex with rubber cement. It was hours of work but the lights are not going anywhere.

Oh and yes, that's my baby Delorean ;) I might just be a total nerd and go to the TL premiere wearing my costume in it :p

Glad you brought this up ;) I just sent actordiver a message on FB about meeting up around 5, maybe even 4 now (whenever the sun sets), at the big light up TRON sign on Sunset blvd. for us to take group pics and individual pics.

LOL! I can imagine what traffic stopping we will make :lol

Then we can head over to Universal City walk and the Hard Rock cafe is right next door to the movie theater. Get liqoured up there then head to the movie. Remember, we all have assigned seats so there won't be any 2 hour lines to wait in, THANK GOD!

Let me know what you think. I thought going to take pics at the TRON light up sign was a good idea for you Compass since you are traveling so far for this, get as much as you can out of this TRON trip :cool

I think the tron sign would be fun, I don't know where Compass is staying, so doing the trek across the hill and back again might not be good for time and traffic (even though we don't have to wait in line we do have to park) But on the plus side we could always carpool.

In my "regular" life (LOL) I'm a photographer so I will have my nice Canon DSLR for shooting photos with me that night. I can even bring a tripod to get everyone in frame if we do the tron sign. and YES we would most certainly stop traffic if we do.

I'm beginning to think I'm doomed when it comes to finding a pair of gloves. The gloves I ordered from the UK (one of the only non-satin/velvet ones I could find!) came in. I was so excited when I ripped open to the package...only to find that they fit my small fingers more akin to gardening gloves than Quorra's.

ACK!!!

I can't sew to save my life, but is it possible to commission someone to make a pair of gloves? I would wonder if that would be a tricky thing to make.

There are a couple of different 'natural' EL sheet technologies. The pure white sheeting will glow with a slight blue-ish effect that's visible on my costume. There is another where the blue is more pronounced (aqua).

bM8-BG-2.jpg

72492_498624291398_616036398_7672148_531280_n.jpg

thanks for the additional info on natural lighted el. i was aware that gels and other additions were used for the unnatural colours, just not the variety of the natural ones.

the behind the scenes helps me as a confirmation -sans camera filters and vfx enhancements.

i'm not sure who here knows or remembers the debate/controversy of the colour of han solo's hoth outfit from 'empire strikes back'. but for those who aren't aware, they used a camera filter that affected the look on screen. in actuality it was a different brownish colour, but the look on camera was more of a grey tone. i personally like the grey colour better but some wanted to be prop accurate in their costumes versus screen. it's good to know from the get go. :)

I'm staying at the Hilton @ Universal Citywalk.

The group will have to come 'get me' as I'm not walking out onto the streets of LA by myself in a TRON costume. :)

I'm up for anything you guys have in mind. I changed my return flight to a later one to allow for sufficient 'recovery time'.

just sharing what i've found about neoprene:

from my samples, neoprene is stretchy. but, by itself, it doesn't conform well near curves in cutout areas like other materials. a rigid backing layer or even sewn to fabric might help remedy this if you were to go this route in areas like a cutout in the forearms.

the inner rubbery part looks like outer layer of the outfits, but not quite it -since the movie uses a moulded foam too. the backing of the neoprene i've found is a stretch type material like lycra or spandex.

at foam mart, (aside from the colours) there's exposed neoprene, neoprene with a backing on one side, and neoprene with backings on both sides. i saw cracks in the rubber that appeared in a sample of 1/4"(?) neoprene where it met on the price tags, where staples where applied and removed. i take that with a grain of salt, not knowing how those cracks were caused since i know this material can be sewn into wetsuits.

neoprene can produce crease imperfections in folded areas of the rubber layer, as i was able to look at an unrolled sample there.

applying a heatgun to a test sample just produces a burnt rubber smell, can distort the finish of the rubber side, and doesn't keep a curve like foam does. since the rubber portion is non-porous, a glue that doesn't necessarily rely on porousity and allows for some kind of flex might be beneficial.

i think(and am guessing) the movie used neoprene for certain, hidden underlayer parts that needed something sewn in and for flex & support. as parts of a base layer i see benefits. for the cosmetic areas, other materials were probably used, depending on the suit.

with that said, the actual costumes are way out of our budget & resource ranges. if you're able to accomplish a cool costume with whatever way works for you, that's the important part. :)

Hello all, I know I'm coming to this game way late. I did not know till yesterday this forum and thread existed. I do have a couple questions and need help/advice.

1: I wanted to know if I used el wire with reflective tape, would yeild a good result? I'm sure if someone has already tried this.
Or should just stick with the el wire?

I did have another question about modding/changing the data disc to stay lit (spinmaster) but I will post that in the proper thread. Thanks in advance. :)

Hey everyone!

I'm back in the game and started plotting my Quorra costume with my friend, who may be making CLU. It's brilliant to see all the progress everyone has made! You're costumes look golden! I'm glad we've finally conquered debates of what to use as lighting. Now I'm more concerned about what to make my costume out of. Latex, Spandex, and Rubber, OH MY!

Once I get the ball rolling and start purchasing, I will keep you guys updated on progress, but for now I'm still planning and plotting. This thread is such a blessing!

You guys are all awesome!

Last edited:
Well, I got my wire bought and hopefully it's on it's way (12 meters for $31, pre-soldered...I know, right?) Still need to buy my inverters from ELWirePros.com as well as the top. But I opened up an old browser window and realized I did some Tron Costume Research before I read the entire Thread and found this Vest:

96889_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

It's about the same price as the Proto Top I found, now I'm stymied. Do I get the proto top or the vest? The best seesm like a better option as I'll be able to get inside of it easier, plus the back lends itself to more easily mounting the IdentiDisc. And it still has the techno muscle ridges. I'm probably gonna go with the vest....

Grrrrr, why's it all gotta be so hard?

~JYH

PS: For people that have ordered 12V inverters from ElWirePros, have you gotten their $4 extra 8AA battery pack, and if you have, do they solder it on for you or do you just get it as a separate piece. I only ask as I don't own a soldering iron, don't know how to solder, and really don't have a location to do it in. Thx.

Also, I just wanted to post this for y'all because I found it ridiculously hilarious. If you are making a Tron costume, I highly recommend you do not use this method instead of actual El Wire...

Fake EL Wire

As the weekend nears and I am refitting some toys for the Dec 18th event I am set to attend. Here's a look at the LightSword (based mildly on the Baton-Sword, a lightsaber Rebel Blue LED that I need to blacken the hilt of) and the effect of ELWire without reflective device set in the undershell of my helmet (will be hidden within my large hood and thus act as a backlighting to the helm and hood from within.
57996_168929126472906_100000674587093_385003_458933_n.jpg

The ELWire is a nearly dead match for the Blue-Cyan of the saber's blade.

155243_168929016472917_100000674587093_385001_6771738_n.jpg

I am no cos-person by any means, so the hilt on the saber might remain silver if I can't get it colored black and to my intent. best part, it can (and might) be used in a fully contact staged combat scene.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back