Tron Legacy Costume

A more suitable and cost affordable option may be compression wear. We were going to go with that but I opted to make the suits myself with an athletic type fabric that has a texture that slightly resembles the hexagon print and he'll be wearing the compression wear under that ( because it sometimes SNOWS here in Canada on Halloween . BRrrrr )

Here's the fabric I'm making the under armor out of:
glove-1.png

I'm pretty happy with the appearance of it considering I'm lacking the time, resources and funds to have a custom print made up to make the costumes with before Halloween. xD AND it was only $8/yd.

It's that dotty-holey-basketball-jersey stuff...but the opposite site. And a bit of a heavier and more solid weave ( it doesn't actually have the little holes in it ).

I think it's looking great Aelynn000!

if the Baton lights up i plan on ripping it apart to make it glow
as for the disk im waiting for the light up one to come out
im gonna need 4

Hi guys been lurking for a awhile. Been working on my costume as well.

I purchased the electronic Identity Disc that lights up at Toy's R us in Van Nuys, CA. $20. Its neat and not at all bulky like I thought.

I plan on using magnets for the disc. I will be using Rare earth magnets since they are very powerful and comes in dime size. I use them for minatures and they hold very good. Perhaps in a triangle formation to track the disc right when I slipped it on my back.

I plan on using the SIXSIXONE ASSAULT PRESSURE SUIT. Depending on how others work their lights, I may either go blue program or preferably red, like Rinzler.

Last edited:
I used a portion of the body armor set I bought to fit the identity disk on the back. I cut out two circular, foam portions and glued them to the back. It actually keeps the disk in place as the foam expands out a little bit. I attached a couple of pics.

The light up disk is now available at Toys R Us so you don't have to bother with ordering it on-line and paying shipping.

I used a portion of the body armor set I bought to fit the identity disk on the back. I cut out two circular, foam portions and glued them to the back. It actually keeps the disk in place as the foam expands out a little bit. I attached a couple of pics.

The light up disk is now available at Toys R Us so you don't have to bother with ordering it on-line and paying shipping.

hmm...that's the actual light up disk? it's so... BLUE. :( as Quorra and Sam decked out in white lights, I think it's going to stick out like a sore thumb! BOOOOO TO THAT!

But yay for ordering a trillion feet of white el wire in different widths to make a white one. haha

Thanks for the comments on the glove everyone! even though it's such a small piece. It's actually attached to the shirt with the other sleeve now as well. I'm planning on putting a zipper down the front of the under armor shirt since I think the wiring might have to be sewn through the back of it, it'll make it a lot safer ( for the wire ) to put on and take off as opposed to pulling it over my head.

Should have the under armor pieces and skirt done tomorrow for Quorra! Hopefully I'll get Sam's done too since they're pretty simple ( a T shirt and some pants... no problem! ) and then I can start making the armor out of black vinyl.

Just wondering, how is everyone attaching the 'rubber' armor?

As I said, I'm making mine out of vinyl. I think for the pieces that I can wire up separately, I'm going to trim the edges in velcro and put them on as separate pieces with each wear. Annisse made her's almost like a chest plate, which I plan on doing... so it shouldn't be too much hassle. I just want to put it together in a way that's the most easy to put on/take off in the way that will have the least stress or bending of the wiring.

But even if they get all bent up and short out in the couple nights I wear it for Halloween, I won't cry if I have to replace it for future wear at $8/10ft. XD

Yeesh. I tried on the boots ( un modded ), leggings, top w/sleeve-gloves and wig and it's all so... BLACK. it looks so boring and BLAH. I can't wait to get my hands on some reflective tape and start the wiring. *_*

Haven't been here fir awhile. Been stressed about how to light up my suit. I am loving everyone's posts suggestions here and want to try them all. I wish ;) since money is very tight for me lately, I am really liking the glow in the dark paint that last for hours idea. I am going to order a sample, test it under light with some spare reflective tape I had left over and see how long and bright that baby stays lite up! If it truly does stay lite continuously for at least 6 hours even. I am so going down the route instead of all that wiring issues.

I want to do my armour over. Chest, arms and my boot covers. Craft foam just doesn't hold up. I have worn my suit twice and it is all bent out of shape and some seams have come undone and that was from a night of dancing at a club in it and another night posing for a photo shoot I had. I was thinking EVA FOAM might be more durable for the chest n arm armour. Damn. My boot covers looked so good when they were all finished now their completely falling apart :(

Happy to hear Toys R Us have the light up identity disk avaliable. What about the baton? Think I will be making my own baton. Someone told me when they got their's it was like 15 inches long and too long to be mounted to your leg. It would look awkward.

aelynn000 what is the exact material you used for the hexagon print area of Quorra's bodysuit? It's just an athletic stretch material? It looks pretty good. I kinda want to change out the one I used. Way too flimsy. I want to change alot to my costume.

Thanks all and good luck on your Tron Legacy costume making journey! :)

~Annissë

Last edited:
I want to do my armour over. Chest, arms and my boot covers. Craft foam just doesn't hold up. I have worn my suit twice and it is all bent out of shape and some seams have come undone and that was from a night of dancing at a club in it and another night posing for a photo shoot I had. I was thinking EVA FOAM might be more durable for the chest n arm armour. Damn. My boot covers looked so good when they were all finished now their completely falling apart :(

~Annissë

Annissë,

I'm curious, what craft foam did you use and how did you shape it? Did you reinforce it with fabric backing? I ask because I was thinking of going down the ol' craft-foam road for the armor on a Sam costume.

Thanks!

Annissë,

I'm curious, what craft foam did you use and how did you shape it? Did you reinforce it with fabric backing? I ask because I was thinking of going down the ol' craft-foam road for the armor on a Sam costume.

Thanks!
I used 2mm craft foam. Good because it was easy to shape it to the bodyform with a heat gun but bad because it is too thin thin and is not durable to stand on its own with all the pulling from moving around dancing and doing poses.

I backed it with felt only and used a black matte vinyl rubber look material for the face material.

Looked good sitting on my dress form but as soon as I put it on after a few hours starting ripping apart. Also due to the tight fit I got the chest and arm amour the craft foam super glue job I did is hanging on to its seams for dear life :p

I used 2mm craft foam. Good because it was easy to shape it to the bodyform with a heat gun but bad because it is too thin thin and is not durable to stand on its own with all the pulling from moving around dancing and doing poses.

Also due to the tight fit I got the chest and arm amour the craft foam super glue job I did is hanging on to its seams for dear life :p

Thanks for the info Annisse. Good to know. I don't plan to be dancing; maybe just some disc fighting with my kids. ;)

Can you tell me what heat gun you used and what power level? I still need to purchase one but I don't want to get something that will disintegrate the foam. How powerful can you go with this stuff?

Thanks again!

Haven't been here fir awhile. Been stressed about how to light up my suit. I am loving everyone's posts suggestions here and want to try them all. I wish ;) since money is very tight for me lately, I am really liking the glow in the dark paint that last for hours idea. I am going to order a sample, test it under light with some spare reflective tape I had left over and see how long and bright that baby stays lite up! If it truly does stay lite continuously for at least 6 hours even. I am so going down the route instead of all that wiring issues.

Happy to hear Toys R Us have the light up identity disk avaliable. What about the baton? Think I will be making my own baton. Someone told me when they got their's it was like 15 inches long and too long to be mounted to your leg. It would look awkward.

aelynn000 what is the exact material you used for the hexagon print area of Quorra's bodysuit? It's just an athletic stretch material? It looks pretty good. I kinda want to change out the one I used. Way too flimsy. I want to change alot to my costume.

~Annissë

Annisse,
How did you mount your disk?

~Annissë

Annisse, could you take some pictures of the reflective tape painted with the glow paint? I still can't figure out if the compounds in the paint will be a detriment to the reflective quality of the tape or not...I say no, my bf says it will since you're covering the surface that's made to be reflective, with something that's not. Hrmmmm...

And the material I used was something like this ( I have NO knowledge in terminology ) except it was a heavier weave with no actual holes in it, and I used the reverse side. In my fabric store it was in a section with bathing suit materials and other kinds of sport/jersey lycras. Next time I'm in there I'll look at the bolt and get the actual name for you. :)

But back to the original topic, I was thinking of the glow technique initially, myself and I noticed the baton ( at least I think it is... originally I thought it was a separate battery pack for the leg lighting ) on Quorras leg. Maybe when/if you get the baton you can hide a flashlight inside of it. I was just going to disguise a flashlight to look like it, but leave it funtional so I could take 'washroom breaks' and power up my glow by using the flashlight against the glow lines. :D Then you don't really have to worry about it dulling too much throughout the night without a direct light source for recharging.

Haha...sounds like we're robots.

Anyways, I'm off to try and finish up the underarmor and get started on the fun stuff!!

OK..... just tried to glue some of the vinyl I'm using for the armor and it ended up looking like it has some kind of blister disease...was not expecting that... the glue soaked right through and started to thin out the vinyl. Ack...

Now I have to either hot glue it or sew it... hot glue may come apart... but sewing is going to put a whole bunch of extra lines in it. HMmmmmmmmm.....

Thanks for the info Annisse. Good to know. I don't plan to be dancing; maybe just some disc fighting with my kids. ;)

Can you tell me what heat gun you used and what power level? I still need to purchase one but I don't want to get something that will disintegrate the foam. How powerful can you go with this stuff?

Thanks again!

I used the cheapest of the cheap heat guns for like 20 bucks at Home Depot :p it worked fine. You don't want the heat too hot, that craft foam is just too fragile and burns quickly. Wave the heat gun back and forth to shape it over a body form. Never leave it in one area for too long.

~A

aelynn000 -

Thanks so much for letting me know about the mesh fabric sports jersey material. Wish I would have spotted that stuff in the beginning. I will have to tear out the arms and upper body of my suit to sew in the new one, no biggie, I just want time only to work on perfecting the armour and these damn lights!

WHAT THE HELL DO WE DO ABOUT LIGHTING THESE COSTUMES! :p

Yes, when I get my sample of that glow paint I will definately post here so everyone can see my results. If anyone beats me to it, please post your results. Days are creeping by and I want to start lighting up this baby!

I agree with everyone that the lighting is driving me nuts. I keep coming up with a plan and then throwing it out. If it isn't about being too expensive, it's about complicated hook ups, or some other thing. *in Charlie Brown fashion* UGHHHHH!!!!!

Question. Would you all say that the base of the mysterious hexagon fabric is a simply spandex or perhaps some lycra athletic knit?

I agree with everyone that the lighting is driving me nuts. I keep coming up with a plan and then throwing it out. If it isn't about being too expensive, it's about complicated hook ups, or some other thing. *in Charlie Brown fashion* UGHHHHH!!!!!

Question. Would you all say that the base of the mysterious hexagon fabric is a simply spandex or perhaps some lycra athletic knit?

I believe in a another post else where, I suggested layering it. A GREY BOTTOM SHIRT + A BLACK MESH TOP. This way you can get the look.
I'm not sure if sewing it together would work. I found out in an interview with Olivia Wilde that she went to 11 fitings for her outfit. Each suit is worth $60,000 dollars. The UD replicas outfit sounds cheap. By the way does any one have suggestions for us guys on the pants?

By the way does any one have suggestions for us guys on the pants?

Motocross protective pants. Stretchy with bits of armour. One I'm looking at has hexpatterns on thighs.

...and I got my Sixsixone pressure suit armor vest.

I got to get photos!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back