Tron Legacy Costume

have you ever ordered from that site? it looks a bit shotty and i cant find anything but one bad review. seems like cool stuff tho. just dont want to get ripped off you know.

The paint is pretty impressive. I ordered the sample. The Pick up truck has some of their paint. But remember that you need a base coat of white. So imagine using 3M tape that white refelctive & then adding their paint. It should be Impressive. I'm going to experiment in another week or so. I'll keep you posted.

The paint is pretty impressive. I ordered the sample. The Pick up truck has some of their paint. But remember that you need a base coat of white. So imagine using 3M tape that white refelctive & then adding their paint. It should be Impressive. I'm going to experiment in another week or so. I'll keep you posted.

i posted this a while back but i guess no one has tried it yet... i was wondering though if this will actually work... even though it dries 'invisible' since the glow pigments are a powder, i'm curious to see how it alters the reflective properties of the tape, if at all. even though it's clear, the light will be bouncing off of a different surface than the tape so.... i'm looking forward to seeing your results!

I've been lurking awhile and just now would like thank everyone here for the great ideas that have come out of this thread. I'm just beginning to assemble my costume here and the version I've been building is more of a stock "tron warrior program" suit if that makes sense. So far, I'm going with a mix of blue EL Wire and Reflective Sew-On Tape. Can anyone recommend a solid online resource for blue reflective tape? I've been googling like crazy and so far I haven't been convinced that some of the stores I'm coming up with are on the level. My first experiments were with white reflective tape, but that sort of clashes with the blue wire..

I've been lurking awhile and just now would like thank everyone here for the great ideas that have come out of this thread. I'm just beginning to assemble my costume here and the version I've been building is more of a stock "tron warrior program" suit if that makes sense. So far, I'm going with a mix of blue EL Wire and Reflective Sew-On Tape. Can anyone recommend a solid online resource for blue reflective tape? I've been googling like crazy and so far I haven't been convinced that some of the stores I'm coming up with are on the level. My first experiments were with white reflective tape, but that sort of clashes with the blue wire..

Neat!!! I'm glad to hear someone else going about the lighting the same way I am, I'm excited to see how it turns out for both of us! I just finished the base of my Quorra gloves. HOORAY! Some progress!

And regarding the blue reflective tape, when all else fails, EBAY it! :) I think this one would be perfect, 1" wide and 20 ft per roll!

Thats exactly what i was thinking of doing i ordered the em reflective tape and wanted to see how the glow paint worked with it. On top of that i have el wire i wanted to run along side the tape. Let me know if it works or it that site worked.

clashes how? cuz thats what i plan on doing?:confused

Hey ALL. I'm posting again to see how everyone plans to attach their Identity Disk to the back of their costumes. Velcro? Magnets? Hooks? Just curious to see what is working and what isn't. Someone posted earlier magnets that hold a bra together might work. Has anyone tried it yet?

Hey ALL. I'm posting again to see how everyone plans to attach their Identity Disk to the back of their costumes. Velcro? Magnets? Hooks? Just curious to see what is working and what isn't. Someone posted earlier magnets that hold a bra together might work. Has anyone tried it yet?

I think any type of small magnets would work... personally I'll be going with velcro since I'm wearing it out for Halloween, I don't want anyone in the clubs to bump me and the magnets move apart and the disc fall off.

Fletcher, I think he just means the white stands out too much on the suit when it's supposed to be blue lighting. I'm sure it reflects ok... but then in flash photography and daylight situations you've got the blue wire on white tape on a black suit. All blue tape and wire would look more uniform. :)

edit:: just FYI, we were thinking about using a wetsuit as the base ( as I've seen some who have already ) and in my searchings, came across a scuba message board where someone posted that 30 minutes is a long time to be out of the water in a wetsuit... this was a thread in regards to irritation. A more suitable and cost affordable option may be compression wear. We were going to go with that but I opted to make the suits myself with an athletic type fabric that has a texture that slightly resembles the hexagon print and he'll be wearing the compression wear under that ( because it sometimes SNOWS here in Canada on Halloween . BRrrrr )

Here's the fabric I'm making the under armor out of:
glove-1.png

I'm pretty happy with the appearance of it considering I'm lacking the time, resources and funds to have a custom print made up to make the costumes with before Halloween. xD AND it was only $8/yd.

It's that dotty-holey-basketball-jersey stuff...but the opposite site. And a bit of a heavier and more solid weave ( it doesn't actually have the little holes in it ).

Last edited:
ya i guess will have to see how it looks. as far as attaching the disk i want to use mag. but velcro would be safer out and about.... hmm. i picked up the sam identity disk at toyRus today along with a sam action fig . for reference purpose only of coarse ;);)
your gloves look really good by the way.

ya i guess will have to see how it looks. as far as attaching the disk i want to use mag. but velcro would be safer out and about.... hmm. i picked up the sam identity disk at toyRus today along with a sam action fig . for reference purpose only of coarse ;);)
your gloves look really good by the way.

Ugh. I hear the disc msrp is only like $7? I can't find them ANYWHERE here in Canada. And they're $25+ on ebay! ARGH!!! maybe I'll have to take a drive down there...

ps. thanks! can't wait 'til the leather is on there... and pps. does the disc light up? or is it just a coloured frisbee?

edit again: nvm! does everyone know about this one?

Last edited:
Ugh. I hear the disc msrp is only like $7? I can't find them ANYWHERE here in Canada. And they're $25+ on ebay! ARGH!!! maybe I'll have to take a drive down there...

ps. thanks! can't wait 'til the leather is on there... and pps. does the disc light up? or is it just a coloured frisbee?

I purchased the $7 one from Toys-r-us. I does NOT glow or light-up. Just a frisbee. Looks cool though.

I think any type of small magnets would work... personally I'll be going with velcro since I'm wearing it out for Halloween, I don't want anyone in the clubs to bump me and the magnets move apart and the disc fall off.

Fletcher, I think he just means the white stands out too much on the suit when it's supposed to be blue lighting. I'm sure it reflects ok... but then in flash photography and daylight situations you've got the blue wire on white tape on a black suit. All blue tape and wire would look more uniform. :)

edit:: just FYI, we were thinking about using a wetsuit as the base ( as I've seen some who have already ) and in my searchings, came across a scuba message board where someone posted that 30 minutes is a long time to be out of the water in a wetsuit... this was a thread in regards to irritation. A more suitable and cost affordable option may be compression wear. We were going to go with that but I opted to make the suits myself with an athletic type fabric that has a texture that slightly resembles the hexagon print and he'll be wearing the compression wear under that ( because it sometimes SNOWS here in Canada on Halloween . BRrrrr )

Here's the fabric I'm making the under armor out of:
glove-1.png

I'm pretty happy with the appearance of it considering I'm lacking the time, resources and funds to have a custom print made up to make the costumes with before Halloween. xD AND it was only $8/yd.

It's that dotty-holey-basketball-jersey stuff...but the opposite site. And a bit of a heavier and more solid weave ( it doesn't actually have the little holes in it ).

Yeah, I think I might do a combination of magnet and velcro just to be on the safe side. I plan on going to the West Hollywood Halloween Parade and it gets CRAZY (500,000+ People)

For EVERYONE planning to use a wetsuit:
I dont know why I didnt post earlier. I'm a scuba instructor in real life so I can give advice on wetsuits. Normally a wetsuit is made to fit tight DONT do that. It will restrict your circulation and be very uncomfortable. Wetsuits are made to trap in water (and heat) so I suggest punching a bunch of holes so you arent sweating like crazy (unless heat is what you want Snow/Canada people ;) ) You can buy a full body Lycra suit to go on under the wetsuit if you want to be a little more comfortable. That might help in the chafing. Finally most suits you would want to consider are the surf suits 3/2mm. A 7mm suit is 1)expensive $200+ and 2)thick and bulky. The 3/2 surf suits you can pick up for around and under $100 or even less used. (costume purpose only..and make sure to soak it in a cleaner cause I'll tell you what people do in their wetsuits ;) )Wetsuits nowadays are made really well and are more comfortable with polypro lining but the Lycra suit would still help. Just some tips from your friendly actordiver ;)

Has anyone purchased the "baton" yet? Is it worth it? Does it light up, make sounds, etc? Or should I just make one myself out of wood?

clashes how? cuz thats what i plan on doing?:confused

Well, the color scheme is not a deal breaker and I'll definitely go with it if push comes to shove. So far I've trimmed a motorcycle armor jacket with the blue EL Wire, and have inserted White Reflective Fabric
Tape underneath the individual chest, arm and back pieces so that when photographed you get an interesting glow through the already existing surface paterns on the jacket. Obviously this is the cheap option in lieu of inserting EL Panels instead.

So to give you an idea, here's the jacket:

ARMOR Jacket Back Body Guard Bike & Motocross Gear

As I said, it looks really nice when photographed with a flash, but to be uniform, I'd rather the reflective tape underneath the armor to give off a blue, as opposed to white glow.

Originally I bought my reflective tape here, which actually reads black in regular light:

Amazon.com: Flat Black Sew-On Reflective Fabric Tape Kit: Automotive

The reflective tape works so well that you can overlap the strips underneath the armor and it doesn't look pieced together when photographed. I think I'd like to find blue tape/fabric that has a thicker width, because I do worry that thinner strips will fall out of place when inserted underneath the armor. I'll have pictures forthcoming to give you a better idea of how the reflective tape looks underneath the armor plates.

Has anyone purchased the "baton" yet? Is it worth it? Does it light up, make sounds, etc? Or should I just make one myself out of wood?
No the baton does not light up. It does look cool though. It doesn't have a holder for the baton on your leg. I'll have to find one at a toy store or find a police supply store. The baton has a toy light cycle that comes out of one end when you press a button. It's not as it was advertised on some web sites. It has some screws You might be able to use EL lightwire to make it light up.
I haven't opened it to see inside to see if there's room to put some wire for lights!

Last edited:

i ordered the light up on online just waiting for it to ship. the toysrus one is just a Frisbee but im going to use it as a template in the mean time.

great job on the costume research! it's been a fun read watching everybody's journey on the thought process and research.

thought i'd point out -to those that don't know- there's a hardcover book coming out called 'the art of tron' which will have concept art and other reference pictures!

pictures of sam's helmet (front and back) and other designs have been released in high quality in addition to other artwork/photos. some of them can be found here:

Flickr: GeekFilter

the helmets look more proportioned than a full-on, larger motorcycle helmet. it reminds me of a futuristic, lightweight lacross helmet with visor instead of a cage, or other type of field sport. the hang gliding helmets mentioned remind me of the black guards' from that world.

No the baton does not light up. It does look cool though. It doesn't have a holder for the baton on your leg. I'll have to find one at a toy store or find a police supply store. The baton has a toy light cycle that comes out of one end when you press a button. It's not as it was advertised on some web sites. It has some screws You might be able to use EL lightwire to make it light up.
I haven't opened it to see inside to see if there's room to put some wire for lights!

Awesome thanks! Let me know if you put some el wire or LEDs in it!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back