Tron Legacy Costume

That link will get deleted thor, I linked an eBay replica disk that was awesome as an example and it got deleted and I got a message saying pretty much that's a no no. Nice shirt though and in my size. There is another of same shirt from same guy on eBay too that shows better photo's of back of shirt, good option for fast costume.

Hi everybody, I am new to site. I just started reading this thread, and whoa so many awesome costumes and helpful stuff! I'm glad I found this place. I plan on making a Quorra and Siren costume for conventions later on. I don't have much experience with costume making, but I am willing to learn!

I havn't read through the entire thread yet. But I was wondering does anyone know where to get Quorra style shoes?

Thanks! ^_^

Ebay! That's where I got mine :) just do a search for black wedge boots.

What's up everyone, I've been reading through this thread over the last few weeks since I decided to build a Rinzler suit for Halloween '11. I saw Tron Legacy on its midnight showing opening night on an IMAX 3D screen here in NYC, and it was awesome. I knew right then and there what my next costume would be, and I quickly found my way here and have been reading and looking at all the great work you guys have been doing ever since.

I wanted to talk about discs, but I also didn't want to start a standalone thread about them, since the kind of info I'm talking about is valid for people who are interested in building entire costumes. I don't intend to hijack the current topics, but here we go!

When I first started seeing all the Tron toys showing up at stores, all I would ever see was Sam's disc (in both Deluxe and cheapie frisbee models). It wasn't until I went searching online for a better price on the Deluxe discs (they are asking $20+ here) that I found out a Rinzler and Kevin Flynn disc even existed.

Maybe I'm showing up late to the game, but trying to get ahold of ANY disc at this point seems to be an impossibility. I've gone to multiple Target and Toys R Us stores locally in the 5 boros over the last few weeks and they are all completely sold out. I kept thinking, "Maybe these stores are still out of stock from the xmas season", and, "Maybe I was in there at a time when things weren't restocked yet", but the most likely explanation is, "Maybe all the hoarders got to them first and are throwing them right on Ebay and jacking up the price".

Yup. Rinzler discs are selling from $35 to $50, and Kevin Flynn's disc is fetching $50 to an unbelievable $99 bucks on the web right now; which seems to be the only place you can get them, as everyone's apparently bought up all the ones that you might find in the wild. And don't get me wrong, I understand that they're collectibles. I understand that they're a hot item right now. I even understand the capitalization on reselling a rare item. But you gotta be kidding me, this is ridiculous.

It somehow has the feeling of a ticket scalper who buys every seat to a show, while the frustration is akin to days of old when parents would get into fist fights so they could buy Cabbage Patch kids off the back of a truck. Let alone the question, "Who has money like that to buy up tons of toys in this economic climate?!" How can these things be so hard to find, they just came out in the stores recently. Are they that popular? I don't get it.

But now I'm worried; I know that once a toy line has their initial run, there's usually no chance that you will ever see the originals on the shelf again. I remember back when I was little looking for Transformers that were sold out being nowhere to be found ever again, not realizing that toy companies don't perpetually keep making the same exact toy, and wondering why I couldn't get ahold of them.

I've also noticed that the packaging of the Tron die cast vehicles say, "Collect all Wave 1 die cast vehicles, Wave 2 coming soon". Does that mean that there will be more Identity Discs in the future as well? Perhaps a Clu or Siren specific disc? Is there anyone in contact with Spinmaster who would know if they are going to continue production on the original 3 discs, or have all of them been made and shipped to retailers and that's it?

What's worse for me is that Rinzler needs two discs! I'm really not interested in shelling out $60+ dollars on a couple of toys that I should be able to have for $15 to $20 a pop. Was this all a marketing scheme? Did Spinmaster have a board meeting and say, "Well this one guy, he uses two discs in the movie. If anyone wants to dress up like him, they'll need two of these so let's double our money and make his a single-disc only package like the other guys. OH! And let's make it incredibly hard to find them and only pack a few in each box that we ship. It's not like the Ebay and Amazon gougers will have a field day with this or anything".

Why didn't Spinmaster anticipate this and make some kinda double-pack Rinzler disc set that was the same total size of one Identity Disc but could split into two? Why did they make less of an item that already requires more than one of it to be complete? Why oh why Spinmaster have you forsaken all the Rinzler fans by totally dropping the toilet on us with this design?

Now, not only am I unhappy about the scarcity, the single-disc in a package deal, but the lights are an issue for me as well. After seeing tons of pics and numerous YouTube vids of the Rinzler disc, I've noticed (as many people have) that Rinzler's discs in the movie are in fact orange/white-blue. Not orange/orange like the toy. So to have a color accurate disc, you would also have to buy a Sam disc and swap out the outer blade edge to have the colors be correct. So that's FOUR discs now, 2x Sam and 2x Rinzler just to make Rinzler's discs the way they look, because just changing the LED's does no good, the transparent area on the plastic itself is colored, and putting blue or white lights in an orange disc would just give you a weird green or something. Not to mention who knows how much to put more LED's or EL Wire in there to have it glow properly. From a design and price standpoint, this is a disaster. I don't even own a single disc yet and it's already going to cost potentially 5x more than it should to have what we all should have had in the first place.

Also, while searching around this site and others, I've seen people making new molds and vacu-forming custom pieces so they can have custom colors in their discs. Some of the coolest looking ones are the more opaque white rings which seem to look the most realistic when lit. Does anyone here have any resources or tips on how to make them? I intend on using these in a costume setting and not to have them sitting around as collector items. It would be so much better if I could get some cheaper, generic, garden variety Sam discs and modify them to look legit (which I've seen people already doing).

So what do you guys think? Which is the better buy, modding a set of Sam discs or going out of my way and dealing with Ebay people and insane prices + shipping to have the real Rinzler discs that I'm only going to rip apart and do who knows what to? Either way this is a huge hassle. And what about the status of the toy production; is everyone who didn't get a disc yet completely out of luck at this point? Any opinions or info are greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't say the Ebay route is all too bad, yes you'll pay a bit of a premium. Kevin and Rinzler discs on Ebay I don't think are all too bad on price. I picked up a set of three, Sam, Rinzler, Kevin, for $70.00 plus shipping.

Also, you may not find Kevin discs in store currently, but I have had a friend pick up another Sam and Rinzler in a Target, they had Rinzler in stock.

Tim

Also, feel lucky that you guys find these in store there, Spin Master is a Canadian officed company, yet never released these in Canada. :angry I could not simply walk into a store and get them.

If you are planning to modify them, then pick up multiple Sam discs to modify.

Tim

He's right and, seriously, they're not like LIMITED EDITION MADE and the movie just came out last month, so slowly there'll be in abundance before you know it. I just got mine from my area's Target(Northwest NJ), but I was lucky/smart enough to make printout of the SKU # from their site and asked a cool salesperson in the TOY section(or shall I say SECTOR - hahaha) about them. He did tell me roughly the packing count of how many was what in it.

the rinzler and kevin discs just came out two weeks ago more will come in stock

Walked into Target the other day and they had all 3 of the deluxe discs at $15 a pop. Picked up a Kevin.

Seen some on eBay going for ~20 plus shipping, nothing outrageous. Lots of higher listings but they aren't selling.

Yeah, Target has just about all the Tron toys (discs, lightcycle baton, action figures) in regular stock...just depends on the day you go in.

Haha, I think I will forgo the battery pack. I was thinking of going with reflective tape (for any interested photographers), since I'll be lit mainly by my LED hoop. Oh why thank you, I would very much like to hear how your hooping experiment goes. :)

Oh and you're in Auckland! I lived there for pretty much all of 2008, even went to Armageddon. Perhaps I passed right by you and didn't even know it. :)

I haven't yet braved the suit sorry... but the weather is cooling so I can test it tomorrow hopefully :)

You may have seen me at AuckGeddon '08 :) Don't know if you caught the Cosplay Contest but I was there (judging then announcing) and other times I was wearing this:
mdb- costumes
For the Contest my co-organiser of the cosplay contest and I were in Gentle Giant versions of Leia:
mdb- costumes
Salut! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Were you in costume at all? If you do come back and it happens to be Geddon time it is so much more embraced now :) Even the media is better at reporting on it ;)

For shoes yep, they do appear to be pumps, if the costume made for the SDCC Siren was made true. There is velcro used to hold the ends of the leggings in place.
I have a pair of sling backs with a peep toe to make over (I hope, it's hard to be sure on sizing when buying online- should be here in a few days :D ) so I'll have to rebuild the toe box and heel but it should be easier now that I have a mannequin- the really awkward part of shoe building is being able to hold the shoe together while curing the glue for the sole. Proper lasts and weights/grips would be ideal but I think the weight of the mannequin will help with this :)
Shoe Goo and shoe stripper will be my best friends for this- I love making shoes match :) Had great fun with Slave Leia and Samara for this:
pinkdiamond: Tentacles get support!:The stuffing was
pinkdiamond:
This will be a little more involved and will require taking apart a set of pumps for the inside support layers :)

I strongly recommend getting a pair of cut out wedges (open wedge, donut wedge) instead of adapting solid wedges. Mainly because the soles are made to be stable as they are, once you start cutting out that stability goes and you may wind up with a broken shoe if not twisted ankle from the shoe breaking...
It may be possible to build over a pair of regular heels and add in a flat layer at the bottom but heels like that have some flex in the sole and you will lose that and maybe wind up cracking the built up section- depending on the flex of the material used to build it up.

Thanks Angela (FANGS) :) Believe me I wish I had the means to travel to pick brains too ;) I am not ashamed to ask lots of questions and make lots of notes ;)

And wow! Some great shots in the make up blog :) A few darts I didn't notice and a really good example of how the pearly make up will look under flash photography. It really reflects back more strongly than in film lighting conditions. I suspect I'll wind up using the pearl effect only on parts of my face and a really light dusting in other parts to get the film effect.
Some nice close ups of the support for the lighting. :D

What's up everyone, I've been reading through this thread over the last few weeks since I decided to build a Rinzler suit for Halloween '11. I saw Tron Legacy on its midnight showing opening night on an IMAX 3D screen here in NYC, and it was awesome. I knew right then and there what my next costume would be, and I quickly found my way here and have been reading and looking at all the great work you guys have been doing ever since.

I wanted to talk about discs, but I also didn't want to start a standalone thread about them, since the kind of info I'm talking about is valid for people who are interested in building entire costumes. I don't intend to hijack the current topics, but here we go!

When I first started seeing all the Tron toys showing up at stores, all I would ever see was Sam's disc (in both Deluxe and cheapie frisbee models). It wasn't until I went searching online for a better price on the Deluxe discs (they are asking $20+ here) that I found out a Rinzler and Kevin Flynn disc even existed.

Maybe I'm showing up late to the game, but trying to get ahold of ANY disc at this point seems to be an impossibility. I've gone to multiple Target and Toys R Us stores locally in the 5 boros over the last few weeks and they are all completely sold out. I kept thinking, "Maybe these stores are still out of stock from the xmas season", and, "Maybe I was in there at a time when things weren't restocked yet", but the most likely explanation is, "Maybe all the hoarders got to them first and are throwing them right on Ebay and jacking up the price".

Yup. Rinzler discs are selling from $35 to $50, and Kevin Flynn's disc is fetching $50 to an unbelievable $99 bucks on the web right now; which seems to be the only place you can get them, as everyone's apparently bought up all the ones that you might find in the wild. And don't get me wrong, I understand that they're collectibles. I understand that they're a hot item right now. I even understand the capitalization on reselling a rare item. But you gotta be kidding me, this is ridiculous.

It somehow has the feeling of a ticket scalper who buys every seat to a show, while the frustration is akin to days of old when parents would get into fist fights so they could buy Cabbage Patch kids off the back of a truck. Let alone the question, "Who has money like that to buy up tons of toys in this economic climate?!" How can these things be so hard to find, they just came out in the stores recently. Are they that popular? I don't get it.

But now I'm worried; I know that once a toy line has their initial run, there's usually no chance that you will ever see the originals on the shelf again. I remember back when I was little looking for Transformers that were sold out being nowhere to be found ever again, not realizing that toy companies don't perpetually keep making the same exact toy, and wondering why I couldn't get ahold of them.

I've also noticed that the packaging of the Tron die cast vehicles say, "Collect all Wave 1 die cast vehicles, Wave 2 coming soon". Does that mean that there will be more Identity Discs in the future as well? Perhaps a Clu or Siren specific disc? Is there anyone in contact with Spinmaster who would know if they are going to continue production on the original 3 discs, or have all of them been made and shipped to retailers and that's it?

What's worse for me is that Rinzler needs two discs! I'm really not interested in shelling out $60+ dollars on a couple of toys that I should be able to have for $15 to $20 a pop. Was this all a marketing scheme? Did Spinmaster have a board meeting and say, "Well this one guy, he uses two discs in the movie. If anyone wants to dress up like him, they'll need two of these so let's double our money and make his a single-disc only package like the other guys. OH! And let's make it incredibly hard to find them and only pack a few in each box that we ship. It's not like the Ebay and Amazon gougers will have a field day with this or anything".

Why didn't Spinmaster anticipate this and make some kinda double-pack Rinzler disc set that was the same total size of one Identity Disc but could split into two? Why did they make less of an item that already requires more than one of it to be complete? Why oh why Spinmaster have you forsaken all the Rinzler fans by totally dropping the toilet on us with this design?

Now, not only am I unhappy about the scarcity, the single-disc in a package deal, but the lights are an issue for me as well. After seeing tons of pics and numerous YouTube vids of the Rinzler disc, I've noticed (as many people have) that Rinzler's discs in the movie are in fact orange/white-blue. Not orange/orange like the toy. So to have a color accurate disc, you would also have to buy a Sam disc and swap out the outer blade edge to have the colors be correct. So that's FOUR discs now, 2x Sam and 2x Rinzler just to make Rinzler's discs the way they look, because just changing the LED's does no good, the transparent area on the plastic itself is colored, and putting blue or white lights in an orange disc would just give you a weird green or something. Not to mention who knows how much to put more LED's or EL Wire in there to have it glow properly. From a design and price standpoint, this is a disaster. I don't even own a single disc yet and it's already going to cost potentially 5x more than it should to have what we all should have had in the first place.

Also, while searching around this site and others, I've seen people making new molds and vacu-forming custom pieces so they can have custom colors in their discs. Some of the coolest looking ones are the more opaque white rings which seem to look the most realistic when lit. Does anyone here have any resources or tips on how to make them? I intend on using these in a costume setting and not to have them sitting around as collector items. It would be so much better if I could get some cheaper, generic, garden variety Sam discs and modify them to look legit (which I've seen people already doing).

So what do you guys think? Which is the better buy, modding a set of Sam discs or going out of my way and dealing with Ebay people and insane prices + shipping to have the real Rinzler discs that I'm only going to rip apart and do who knows what to? Either way this is a huge hassle. And what about the status of the toy production; is everyone who didn't get a disc yet completely out of luck at this point? Any opinions or info are greatly appreciated!

Try here: Amazon.com: Tron Rinzler's Deluxe Identity Disc: Toys & Games for Rinzler's Disc by Target via Amazon at $13.99- 9 left- or direct from Targetonline: http://www.target.com/Tron-Legacy-D...om_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0 My Target finally got in new stock and I think the only reason the discs weren't completely gone is because the entire store has been moved around preparing for the new produce section and no one can find the TRON toys. I managed to get the last K. Flynn disc and a Rinzler. There were actually more Rinzler than Sam this time.

Recently, I've been giving some thought to doing my own costume which will resemble Sams version.
I already have the helmet,

img0921sm.jpg

a black body suit (base), boots and gloves.

I am also doing a much simpler ID Disc for costuming, which I highlight in my ID Disc thread.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/tron-toy-deluxe-id-disc-mod-enhancements-101229/index4.html

propmaster2000

Last edited:
I am using approx. 57 white LEDs.
The Sam disc has a blue outer ring and light blue center "C" making it appear blue'ish.

I will also be adding a 9v input power jack so that it can be powered all the time on display, when I am not using it. :)

propmaster2000

Last edited:
To add to the whole glow paint issue (sorry if its a little late haha) on my costume I used glopaint brand. They come in little tubes and work like puffy paint. BUT....I discovered that they also make it in a spray paint. Definately knowledge i could have used over half a year ago haha. glowpaint having worked with the tubed version I can vouch for it working really well glow wise. But I think I'm going to use the spray on my identity disc for my new one. Hopefully you can still see the lights underneath the paint

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back