Tron Disc, I just made my "Stunt Foam Disc" NEW PICS...

Re: Tron Disc (Frisbee)

I think it was an Ultimate Frisbee 175 gram.

Mine is in my trunk somewhere! :lol
I helped a guy at work this afternoon after I read this thread... he actually had an Ultimate Frisbee 175 gram AT HIS DESK! :eek

I'd have to say it is NOT the correct frisbee because it had way too many ridges around it.

He says to me, "Oh hey, you in to frisbee?" I said, "No, I'm in to props. I could explain, but it would take too long." We laughed as I examined it.

-G

How about a clear disc as dualedge mentioned, but instead of EL wire, how about a surper bright blue LED?

And somewhere on the net I remember finding a frisbee that lit up using LED's, I think there was some sort of blinking pattern to it though, but it certainly reminded me of the TRON disc.

Here's a link to a business that makes some...
http://www.blackjaxsports.com/

**edit**
Upon watching some of the videos, it would seem the LED's are located along the edge making more of a "ring" when it's thrown, or four seperate points when stationary. The dog version has the LED's located centrally, which is better for a static prop, and I suppose that if it were backed with some white material (Krylon Fusion or maybe even white acrylic paint?) it might be possible to diffuse the light more.

Last edited:

The original was a soft frisbee - someone here had some great pics up a long time ago showing the inside where it said "soft" - something... two large pieces of velcro were also stuck there so the actor could wear the thing on his back.

Hey,

I have a screen used disk back at my home in Chicago. I am in Kyoto now, but going home for vacation next week...so I can get more details then.

They are indeed foam disks painted white with black tape. I also have an unpainted regular foam disk that I found later on. The name escapes me right now (of course that being the most important detail lol), but it was molded info the foam and removed for the movie disk.

The size is a standard frisbee disk size, but it is nearly impossible to find any recent models that will come close to the thickness of what the orginal is.

Sorry I dont have more details right now there. I talked about this eons ago, so there might be something in the archives here....I took some detailed pics before that wound up on someone's CD collection also.

[Edit] Those pics are probably of my disk, mine has the two strips of velcro that were used to secure it to the back. It's not a hero disk, but I've narrowed it down to one of the disks in the scene where the programs are lining up to hear the speech from Sarek.

Here's a quick run down on the 'Disks of TRON'.

Those foam disks were only used to attach to people's back.

disk.jpg

back01.jpg

M80056822-vi.jpg

vlcsnap-2202743.png

vlcsnap-2189736.png

vlcsnap-2179231.png

The ID disks that are thrown as weapons are just regular plastic frisbees with the stripes taped on.

Here you can see the size difference-
M80999904-vi.jpg

The designs on the disks change from scene to scene quite a bit sadly.

RAM's Disk in close up and medium shot are different.

vlcsnap-2177789.png

vlcsnap-2177815.png

TRON's Disk that he wears at the beginning of the film is different than the one he is given to defeat SARK with but you still see the old one on his back throughout the rest of the film.

vlcsnap-2184635.png

TRON's second disk also has a variation.

The closeup disk has a uneven spacing between the 3rd and 4th ring.
vlcsnap-2185387.png

The disk the actor is using normally has evenly spaced rings.

vlcsnap-2207893.png

vlcsnap-2186846.png

M80057028A-vi.jpg

Here's some other cool pics of disk stuff.

vlcsnap-2176770.png

vlcsnap-2187097.png

M801767-vi.jpg

M802723-vi.jpg

1001464879_babbc00653_o.gif

Nick

Last edited:

I am really glad to see serious interest in Tron again. Some great info and pics posted. Here are a couple of pics of the best fan made Sark costume I have ever seen. Actually the only fan Sark costume I have ever seen. It was at DC2009 he had red EL wiring and reflective red tape which really looked good with a flash and some red fabric paint for the small details. FYI, That is me as Vader, and that is my blue drinking tube on the chest armor. I forgot to hide it before we took the pic.
SarkVaderDC2009.jpg

SarkDC2009.jpg

Found 'em... vintage Wham-o soft frisbees :)

I've got 6 on the way. If they are in good shape I will have a few extras to offer up... PM me if you are interested.

-Jay

image.aspx

May I ask where you found the disk and what it's called, numbered, etc.?

So it depends on if you want the vintage discs or the new foam discs. The ones I found are called Easy Spin Foam Frisbees. They are really great and are at least 90% accurate.

Luke Moonwalkers SHOULD be the exact vintage foam discs and it will be interesting to see if the foam has deteriorated over the last 30 years or not. Of course I am in for buying one is they are in decent shape.

Brad

Thanks Jedifyfe, I had looked around the net for foam discs and found the very one you used.
My problem with the Wham-o soft frisbee is, is it possible to get rid of the logo in the middle? If not, it will be difficult to get any ring stickers to look right.

Thanks Jedifyfe, I had looked around the net for foam discs and found the very one you used.
My problem with the Wham-o soft frisbee is, is it possible to get rid of the logo in the middle? If not, it will be difficult to get any ring stickers to look right.

I have a feeling that the logo can be sanded down pretty easily, or maybe use a dremel tool on it.

Well done on your replica Brad! :thumbsup

Man! I've got to pick this movie up! One if the few I don't own. :$

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
Great movie, one of my favorites from my childhood. I actually sold my vintage TRON stand up video game cabinet a couple years back. I loved that thing!

Brad

You display looks great!:thumbsup It is interesting that the back shot of the original prop is red just like the currently produced item.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back