Top Gun F-14s Take Two

Spectacular! Every little detail helps sell it - the paint and weathering, the pilot figures, and yes even the mirrors! The mirrors that you would miss if they weren't there - so, no, all that work was not for naught. :)

Great job all around on this!

Dan

Thanks, KramStaar! So.. according to Matt, there were as many as 9 different filming jets. And the one I weathered as Maverick's was the camera bird which had cameras installed on the airframe and in the RIO seat. Crew names, tail badges and modex numbers changed on the jets throughout the filming, but it was only this bird that didn't have its modex number changed. It always stayed as 104. I wanted to swap the 104 and 114 modex numbers between the two models - I still have spare decals -- but I just know it's not going to end well. Maybe someday when they discover a way to remove decals that have already been clear/matte-coated I'll attempt to remove them.

Here's his updated drawing of the camera bird weathering. Credit goes to Matthew Lawlor of the Top Gun Props and Costumes Forum. This was the paintjob/weathering the Tomcat on display on the Lexington was supposed to get but that failed to happen for budget reasons.

CAMERABIRDpaintschemeF-14A  copy.jpg

CJ, how do you achieve the faded / muted markings?

Are the decals printed that way, or do you need to apply a light overcoat?

Apologies if you've previously discussed this. Its one aspect of tactical fighter kits (in "low vis" markings) that intimidates me a bit...

Yes the gray markings (FS 35237) were printed that way. Strangely, they look darker on the Fightertown decal sheet but when applied over ghost gray paint they somehow tone down in color. At times I thought they were too light but looking at reference pics they really look muted on TPS F-14s.

Granted, these pics are blurry but you can see there's subtle contrast between the base coat and markings:

51887234568_e193a6b17b_h.jpg

51887234558_abb0d9198d_h.jpg

51887480059_6d9865527f_k.jpg

51887234548_fb8f876359_k.jpg

If your decals are too dark you can use some highly-thinned paint to mist over them like on the vid below. I was about to do the same for the crew names to sort of give a stenciled-on look to them but I chickened out : ) I figured I might not be able to undo it. The modex numbers and name stencils are black, by the way.

Last edited:
Crackerjazz,
Here's 2 more. Or i should say 1 more with 2 different sets of markings. Bureau Number 160665 was Maverick's Hero jet in the movie and wore Modex number 114. However this was not its only role It was also Modex 203 and appears mostly in the opening act in that number as well as a few odd shots here and there in the rest of the film. If you look closely 203 is the jet that performs the "Inverted" scene with the Mig-28/ F-5. Hope this and the other graphic help all of you modelers out there. At some point down the line I'll try and get one done for Iceman's 104 jet as well as Maverick's 114 from the final act. ( yes that is a different airframe)

cheers.

Attachments

• 665paint and weathering 114 final.jpg
    665paint and weathering 114 final.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 1,093
  • 665paint and weathering 203 final.jpg
    665paint and weathering 203 final.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 804
Yes the gray markings (FS 35237) were printed that way. Strangely, they look darker on the Fightertown decal sheet but when applied over ghost gray paint they somehow tone down in color. At times I thought they were too light but looking at reference pics they really look muted on TPS F-14s.

Granted, these pics are blurry but you can see there's subtle contrast between the base coat and markings:

View attachment 1547450

If your decals are too dark you can use some highly-thinned paint to mist over them like on the vid below. I was about to do the same for the crew names to sort of give a stenciled-on look to them but I chickened out : ) I figured I might not be able to undo it. The modex numbers and name stencils are black, by the way.

No call signs for Ice Boy and Slider...

Wow, I didn't know you were on this forum, too, Matt! Hey, guys, this is THE Top Gun. He's the guy to go to if you want to ask anything at all about the filming jets. Thanks for those super-accurate weathering guides, Matt. Am I getting dizzy from all those airframe differences! I just wish I hadn't painted and decalled my models -- I asked you too late. But at least the guys have that chance now.

So.. the camera bird never sported drop tanks because of the camera mounted in its spot. Makes me want to remove the tanks from Mav's jet but theyre super-glued on : )

So.. the camera bird never sported drop tanks because of the camera mounted in its spot. Makes me want to remove the tanks from Mav's jet but theyre super-glued on : )
Dont fret over the small stuff. You made 2 of the best Top Gun Tomcat model's I've ever seen. You can go nuts trying to count rivets and stains and whatever else. . Be proud of the work you've done!!

These Tomcats are spectacular. Could I ask what the specific piece of metal is called that you used to mount them? I think my Tomcats need to be displayed in-flight where they belong!

Hi Alex, thanks. They were stainless steel barbecue skewers that I saw at a local grocery store : ) I thought I'd have trouble cutting them at first but found them pretty hacksaw-friendly. Even bending them to shape wasn't that bad.

Hi Alex, thanks. They were stainless steel barbecue skewers that I saw at a local grocery store : ) I thought I'd have trouble cutting them at first but found them pretty hacksaw-friendly. Even bending them to shape wasn't that bad.
That’s what I call creative..thanks! I’ll keep my eye out!

Awesome builds from start to finish.
This will always be my favorite jetfighter. I remember my older brother building one and I'd have a broad smile every time he would slide the wings towards the tail. What a machine

Thanks, KramStaar! So.. according to Matt, there were as many as 9 different filming jets. And the one I weathered as Maverick's was the camera bird which had cameras installed on the airframe and in the RIO seat. Crew names, tail badges and modex numbers changed on the jets throughout the filming, but it was only this bird that didn't have its modex number changed. It always stayed as 104. I wanted to swap the 104 and 114 modex numbers between the two models - I still have spare decals -- but I just know it's not going to end well. Maybe someday when they discover a way to remove decals that have already been clear/matte-coated I'll attempt to remove them.

Here's his updated drawing of the camera bird weathering. Credit goes to Matthew Lawlor of the Top Gun Props and Costumes Forum. This was the paintjob/weathering the Tomcat on display on the Lexington was supposed to get but that failed to happen for budget reasons.

View attachment 1547380
Wish I had this when I was painting my 1/48 bird!

Absolutely the most amazing Tomcat builds I’ve ever seen! Incredible work sir!
I live on Long Island, just a few miles from Calverton, where the F-14’s were assembled and tested, and I’m from a Grumman family, so this brings back a lot of great memories. When they shut down the plant the navy gave the whole facility to the town to use as they wanted, and the town created a small park just about big enough for a Tomcat and an A-6E. It was a beautiful sight to drive past, until a few years ago when some idiot decided to have them repainted…..all wrong

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back