Tips for making mold of complex prop

thepoynt

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all!

Thinking about making my first two-part mold (only past experience is with simple one-parters) and I'm looking for tips and advice from the hive mind for this particular prop. It's a model based on some gorgeous concept art of the Thorn handcannon from Destiny:

render2.jpg

I'd like to do a two-part matrix mold, and I'm basically wondering if it's possible. With those "horns" on the top and the two bits in the front that stick out to the sides. Since the problem parts all "point" forward, do you guys think the jacket would be able to be pulled off by pulling it out and forward? I'm thinking due to the silicone being relatively thin in a matrix mold, one I remove the hard jacket I *should* be able to get the cast out.

If you look at the link below, you can see that I'll be printing it in 2 main parts. I could potentially mold them separately if that would make it easier. That would also let me get the cylinder in in a way that would let it spin, whereas if I did it in one part I'd have to glue it in (I don't really care either way)

The other tricky part is the hollowed-out part under the barrel, about halfway down, which has those little vertical bits that would be completely encased in silicone. Any ideas how to handle that part? Or is it impossible, and I should cut those off (or maybe just one) and add them afterwards to each cast?

In any case, I'll be casting the cylinder separately to just get rid of that complication.

I know there's several questions in there, but thanks in advance for any advice!

More pictures of the model are here for reference:

3D Printable Model: Thorn Gun Exotic Hand Cannon Pistol Weapon Destiny 2 | Print File Format: STL – Do3D.com

It can be done, but it won't be easy. You're right about the trickiness of the horns, but if you cut out leakage/overflow channels, the resin will flow through and the air will have a place to escape, but it is messy. The revolving part will have to be molded separately. The "wings" will be the most difficult part, and will require a 3 part mold. Depending on what the business end looks like, you have have a lot of cleanup to do afterwards.

TazMan2000

It can be done.
However, not as ONE solid piece. Your are going to have to remove a couple parts
It is always better to break a prop down when molding. If ONE part doesn't come out, you have not ruined the whole casting.

I have 25 years experience, I am happy to offer suggestions.

BrundelFly - What I'm thinking now is three parts: the cylinder as a one-part, the the rest split just forward of the spike at the bottom of the barrel. The rear part I'll be able to do a two-part mold of, and then I think rather than do a three-part mold of the front part, I'll just print that part for each casting. I'm only making 2 or three, so to me that seems smarter than trying to do a three-parter when I've never even done a two-part.

The finishing process is just so time-consuming, getting it to that perfectly smooth finish... But if you seriously think it's easier, I'm willing to take your word for it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back