Tiefling Warlock D&D inspired costume (horns & tail advice sought)

lilibat

I am doing a tiefling warlock costume for GenCon this year. I have several decades of experience with sewing, jewelry and some props but I am feeling a bit intimidated by the horns & tail. I am doing an original design for the robe & armor which I have under control nicely.

Here is a refrence image.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VEK_Ndg8OfY/Uh8VrAxy5uI/AAAAAAAAHVc/IkCNdLhiAGw/s1600/theadversary.jpg

I have some plastic horns I was going to use making a worbla bit between then to connect them & do the forehead bit. I suck at sculpting & am a complete n00b with worbla so any tips for making this happen would be appreciated.

I have some beige fabric backed vinyl for the tail. I am trying to decide how to stuff it whether I want tio use a tube made with the green foam, solid foam or a foam tube stuffed with pillow floof. Not sure which would hold shape better yet be light enough since I am going to need to wrapp it around one leg when on the show floor so i don't get stepped on.

Also does anyone have any tips on hiding the seam on the vinyl for the top & bottm of the tail? I am going to have to paint the vinyl anyway to get it the right colour to match the horns.

I am doing a tiefling warlock costume for GenCon this year. I have several decades of experience with sewing, jewelry and some props but I am feeling a bit intimidated by the horns & tail. I am doing an original design for the robe & armor which I have under control nicely.

Here is a refrence image.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VEK_Ndg8OfY/Uh8VrAxy5uI/AAAAAAAAHVc/IkCNdLhiAGw/s1600/theadversary.jpg

I have some plastic horns I was going to use making a worbla bit between then to connect them & do the forehead bit. I suck at sculpting & am a complete n00b with worbla so any tips for making this happen would be appreciated.

I have some beige fabric backed vinyl for the tail. I am trying to decide how to stuff it whether I want tio use a tube made with the green foam, solid foam or a foam tube stuffed with pillow floof. Not sure which would hold shape better yet be light enough since I am going to need to wrapp it around one leg when on the show floor so i don't get stepped on.

Also does anyone have any tips on hiding the seam on the vinyl for the top & bottm of the tail? I am going to have to paint the vinyl anyway to get it the right colour to match the horns.

Tail: Rather than use vinyl, have you given thought to using a length of pantyhose, stuffed and latex painted? It would still be light, but you would not have to worry about hiding seams. As a plus, you could utilize carved foam for where the tail meets the backside for a secure attachment, AND use that solid part as a base for a length of craft wire to shape your tail with around your leg. A length of pool noodle shaved down to a tapered end would also be light enough and you could run the wire down the entire length for "forming", and still use a latex paint job for skin texture.

As to the horns, you could easily use worbla to give them a little detail and definition, but I am unclear in your description of how you want to get them attached to your head? Can you provide a shot of the horns and how you mean to do the attaching?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back