TIE-fighter blueish-gray color

Nils

Sr Member
Hi guys,
Some years ago I purchased a can of Tamiya spray color blueish- gray (AS or TS, cant remember which), anyhow
I remembered that you could use it for both the SS TIE-fighter as well as the Super Star Destroyer.
I have read diffirent threads here on the RPF but I can only find talks about the TS 32 Haze gray.
Is this the one people are using (if using Tamiya cans)?

Thanks!

I think I was after the Tamiya AS19
It's more blue and goes better with the Super Star Destroyer (but I'm slightly color blind:))
Ts32 image.jpg
AS19 image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 384
Wow my TS32 looks nothing like that top pick. It's definitely more blue. That pic is kinda like what the lighting in Star Wars did to the color. Honestly I'd give both a test and work out what you like. I really like the TS32 :).

Ben

I know I'm super late to this thread, but Haze Gray looks fantastic on the TIEs if you're going for that ESB/RotJ look. I've done a handful of TIEs (including a Bomber) in that color. You can see them on my Instagram.

TIEs in Haze Gray

Use TS32 as a base and hand mix some varients of it with white and grey for that subtle shading. If it looks ok to you, it is ok :)

Would you say TS32 is a match for the SSD too? If so, I’ll buy a can for the Bandai I still need to paint.

I think you could Use it as a base for the SSD... Flyscriber's suggestion is exactly what I would recommend for using TS-32 on the SSD.

I don’t have an airbrush, so things like shading and thin coats would be near impossibly out of a rattle can. Is there another pure colour that is preferred?

Decant the rattle can into a jar and let the propellant off gas. Use it in your airbrush.

Either that or buy the proper color from ArchiveX

Ok well I’ll lay down a base of this colour and see how it goes. At the the model is very cheap here in Japan, I can buy another if I screw it up.

heres my studio scale Tie in TS32 Haze grey its a pretty close match to the real movie prop, the only thing its semi gloss so you will need to add a dull coat, BTW ignore the color of the spray can cap its totaly different from the actual color.

OYQykrq.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the TIE Bomber and RotJ TIE fighter were the same colour? I'm going blind looking at various photos of props taken under various circumstances, but they sort of look like it to me.

Does anyone know if the TIE Bomber and RotJ TIE fighter were the same colour? I'm going blind looking at various photos of props taken under various circumstances, but they sort of look like it to me.

They are, for sure. Seems that ILM used the same color for them in RotJ (and ESB, for that matter), so you could get away with using the same color for both if you're doing post-ANH TIEs to go with your Bomber.

Great, thanks for that reply. I thought I'd determined that "Stormy Grey" was used on both ESB Fighters and Bombers, but I couldn't be sure or trust my memory.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back