TIE-fighter blueish-gray color

Just to show how timely this was, I took this as a green light and painted my ESB/RotJ build of my TIE fighter yesterday. I don't have the lovely but expensive Archive X paint, but I found a Model Master colour, FS 35414, that looked good to my eyes. I'll use it on my TIE Bomber too, if I ever finish that.
DSCN6493.JPG

Just to show how timely this was, I took this as a green light and painted my ESB/RotJ build of my TIE fighter yesterday. I don't have the lovely but expensive Archive X paint, but I found a Model Master colour, FS 35414, that looked good to my eyes. I'll use it on my TIE Bomber too, if I ever finish that.View attachment 1287185

That's pretty spot-on, man! Looks fantastic!

Yes, I'm pretty happy. I did a lot of experimentation before going for it and you were the final piece of that.

Being conscious of this being in the "studio scale" section and me posting pics of my Finemolds kit, I'll try to return us to our regularly scheduled programming by posting a few pics of people's use of the Archive X colour that is a perfect match for what ILM used. I got these off the Archive X facebook page. Hopefully the originators won't mind. If I could afford their product, I'd be all over it. I think it's a gold standard for these ships, but even if I can't afford the paint, the info being shared there is excellent for my more humble subjects.

Attachments

• stormy on probot.jpg
    stormy on probot.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 293
  • stormy sea 3.jpg
    stormy sea 3.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 549
  • stormy sea in bottle.JPG
    stormy sea in bottle.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 411
  • stormy sea.jpg
    stormy sea.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 313
To slightly hi-jack the topic, but does anyone have good advice on which Tamiya colour is the best match for an RotJ TIE Interceptor? There's quite a few blue-greys available.

To slightly hi-jack the topic, but does anyone have good advice on which Tamiya colour is the best match for an RotJ TIE Interceptor? There's quite a few blue-greys available.

The one that I've used - and seems to be the "out of the can" closest Tamiya approximation to "ILM Stormy Gray" - is Haze Gray (TS-32).

Assuming Tamiya Haze Grey is the best match and the con is that it is a spray can, to duplicate that with bottle paints I used a mix of XF-82 (Ocean Gray) and little bit of XF-2 (Flat White) and tough of XF-23 (Although you could probably skip that last part). Unfortunately I do not have exact ratios as I started with a big bottle of XF-82 and added white and towards the end the little bit of XF-23 until I got a color I liked
The XF-23 adds a bit more of a blue with a very subtle slightly greenish hint so don't overdue that part)

The Tamiya TS-32 Haze Grey was used over a black primer for the tie on the left. The mix above was used for the Tie on the right

IMG_2676 (3).JPG

IMG_2726 (2).JPG

I also did a mix of the XF-82 and XF-2 without the XF-23 that is a bit less "blue"
IMG_2558 (2).JPG

Those look brilliant, Analyzer! I've used Haze Gray over a white, and a gray, base in the past - the tone seems to hold close to the ILM color over those light to mid-tone bases. That being said, your mix of colors looks awesome!

Thanks guys, I was actually thinking of using the Ocean Gray (which also comes as AS-10 by the look of it) without any mix to try and capture the way the interceptors look a little bluer to me. I think I'll get the get the Haze Gray too and experiment like you!

On my previous TIEs I'd had to create a mix using Revell aqua-colours, (light-grey, blue-grey and white I think) but they've all dried up now so need a new method!

Thanks guys, I was actually thinking of using the Ocean Gray (which also comes as AS-10 by the look of it) without any mix to try and capture the way the interceptors look a little bluer to me. I think I'll get the get the Haze Gray too and experiment like you!

On my previous TIEs I'd had to create a mix using Revell aqua-colours, (light-grey, blue-grey and white I think) but they've all dried up now so need a new method!

I had to snag these from my Instagram - here are my Bomber, Avenger, Hunter, and Interceptor (Fel's 181st TIE). All of them are Haze Gray over a white base.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.40.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.39.42 AM.png

I had to snag these from my Instagram - here are my Bomber, Avenger, Hunter, and Interceptor (Fel's 181st TIE). All of them are Haze Gray over a white base.

View attachment 1292234View attachment 1292235
Very cool collection!

The black primer definitely shifts the color a bit compared to over a white base. And as mentioned in this thread, the color can look very different based on the lighting

for example, these two were taken on the same day about a minute apart, but different backgrounds which changed the lighting in the photo

IN a brightly lit display area they look more like this
IMG_8816.JPG

while in a more dimly lit display area they shift more like this

IMG_8817 (2).JPG

Very cool collection!

The black primer definitely shifts the color a bit compared to over a white base. And as mentioned in this thread, the color can look very different based on the lighting

for example, these two were taken on the same day about a minute apart, but different backgrounds which changed the lighting in the photo

IN a brightly lit display area they look more like this
View attachment 1292236

while in a more dimly lit display area they shift more like this

View attachment 1292237

Those look great, man! And I totally know what you mean about the tonal shift of the color in different light... To be honest, I kinda like that quality about the color - feels more "authentic" to me.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back