TIE Bomber Construction - Take 2

Hehhehhhhh...
Uh-huh... I smells a conspiracy!
This won't be my first scratch, and in all honesty I've got pretty good track on what I need to do. I just got smacked by the downfall of a few design, game and effects jobs, so this hobby is temporarily suspended in the actual building department.
There is one thing I wouldn't mind asking for a casting of if anyone's got it, and that is the Yamato tower. I can't tell, not having looked at an original tooling since CA, but I think that all I need is that segment that is used underneath. I haven't seen anything else on the Bomber that looks related to any of the ships, either raw or converted or married to another part to make it almost unrecognizeable.
I realize though that I'm really missing out in not having the two Hasegawa kits yet, so I am sure I'm in for some pleasant surprises.

Ha! The image of the 'kit' finally loaded for me... lead me not into temptation, for I can find it myself! Many thanks, but I'm scratching this beast!

BTW... had noticed only 20 posts here for over 200 views and thought it odd... until I saw that the MF 32" thread has less than 400 posts and over 7000 views!!!

I want to try and do this scratch as much as I can, nice kit though
icon_wink.gif
And trust me, we wil be asking for help!

Great to see activity on this model pick up again.

May I humbly suggest that further discussion take place on the original thread, and maybe even any mod who's watching could merge this one into it? Let's not spread out info over multiple threads.
icon_smile.gif

Why combine it? It would just get even more confusing for people looking at that thread I would think. The thread has gone through to completion, so I was creating this one as a place for those of us that have not completed it and wanted to... I dunno, I suppose if it is necessary.

Getting back to topic... If you are going to mold and cast some of the model pieces for this bugger, what would you use...??? Silicone? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that you
will also need a Tamiya 25lb field gun (35046) and a Tamiya
1/700 Shinano (WLA024) to complete your kit list. Hope this
helps. How's everyone progressing?

Zac

Thanks! I haven't gotten anywhere further than colelcting kits for this bad boy. I'm currently attempting my first scratchbuild on something a little less difficult to see how well i do
icon_smile.gif

Zac -

Thanks for the 2 new kits for the list. What parts do they provide? Do either of these provide the detail added to the outer hub of the wing, both front and both back surfaces, or the 4 'corner' parts added to the portside outer hub?

I'll have to check on the hub parts. The field gun has
the added detail for the yamato piece. The shinano has
the details added to the leopold part on top of the
engine box and the leopold part on top of the torpedo
tube.

Zac

Thanks for the heads up on the Shinano kit, Zac! In all the years I've spent looking for parts, this is the first time anyone's mentioned it. Too bad it's been retooled and the correct one is out of production.

BTW, for all of you looking for the old Yamato kit, go to squadron.com and do a search for Tamiya 1/700 scale. You'll want kit #31105, but be warned. They sell both old and new toolings. Avoid #31113!!

Hey, DK424, good tip - I had one in my had a couple of nights ago. So the parts in the current version of the kit are no good? You know this? Bummer.

Maybe a good question is - what parts are NOT identified? I do not currently have info on:

The detail on the outer wing hub, front and back surface, both sides - the ribbed flat piece on the back and front edge. (4 pieces.)

The little block detail above and below the ribbed flat hub piece, top and bottom, front and back, port side only. (4 pieces.)

The detail piece that sits under the railgun box structure on the top and bottom of the pilot fuselage.

A tiny detail piece that sits on the front panel between the two hulls - as you face the front, it will be up and left from the "binoculars" (not really binoculars) sitting on top of the battleship deck.

The side part that sits on the outboard side of either hull just behind the wing strut.

That part in question on top of the railgun decks that make up the top of the connector between hulls. There is a similar looking part (looks like one half of the top part) on the top of the weapon hull, at about 10:00 or 11:00 facing the front.

That's about all that I don't have. I realize that this would be clearer with pictures - perhaps I'll start putting up some marked photos over the weekend.

-mkg

Just noticed my attempt above to post a link doesn't work (better luck next time I guess). Yeah, grab those old Yamato kits while you can at www.squadron.com!

Good eye, Barnstormer! I was beginning to think I was the only one spotting those little, insignifigant details. Those parts are still unknown to me as well. I'm most disappointed that I didn't find the parts that go on the outside of the hulls behind the wing struts. I can say that I always thought the part on top the center section was just 2 of the Hanomag part B14 glued together. Say, if you want to add to the missing list:

If you look at a head-on shot of the bomber, at the very bottom of the center section, the Flakvierling parts F4 & F5 are attached to a horizontal strip that has detail on it. It's partially covered by the Rodney deck.

On the Yamato part on the bottom, the Flak 38 seat (part E17) is attached to the front, but there appears to be a thin part with ribbing attached to the end facing the back.

As we all know, there is piping all over the outside surfaces of the wing extensions (I assume it's styrene stock). Here and there are little odd-shaped bits and pieces attached to this piping.

Just a little food for thought. I'd post some pictures, but I'm still working to get that working.

Dan

It'll be a race, Dan - I know how to post pictures, but weekends are busy around the house!

I have an excellent photo of the part behind the Rodney deck that I have to put up. I just spotted that detail last night. I think it may be in one of the known kits; I have to spend some quality time with my parts box.

The piece behind the Yamoto piece is eluding me as well.

I'm actually pretty inclined to agree about the Hanomag part. I looked at it REALLY closely at MoM, and I think that's what it is, as well.

More later...

Here are some of the photos of what I'm talking about.

http://members.aol.com/barnstormer64/tb1.jpg

There's the hub details. The large ribbed part appears front and back, port and starboard. The two little boxes appear top and bottom, front and back, but on the portside wing only.

http://members.aol.com/barnstormer64/tb2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/barnstormer64/tb3.jpg

Here is the part applied under the Rodney deck. Anybody recognize it?

This third picture is not one that I took - if it's yours and you'd like it removed, PM me. This is the clearest, best picture of the piece behind/under the Rodney deck.

http://members.aol.com/barnstormer64/tb5.jpg

Here are some of the other parts that I'd like to track down. Anybody know this one?

http://members.aol.com/barnstormer64/tb6.jpg

I found the part labeled #1 in the Shinano. What about the little detail labeled #2? Anybody know where that came from?

http://members.aol.com/barnstormer64/tb4.jpg

The ribs on the part on the hubs strike me as the BACK side of a part--perhaps a nameplate from a model display stand.

The part in tb6.jpg looks like a part from a NASA rocket or somesuch--considering the LEMs and Saturns that were sitting around the ILM shop...(or WERE they after the move to Marin? I've had the impression that Dykstra held on to the ANH donor models, given the cross-pollination of parts on the Galactica).

Part 1 is from the Shinano(part #29). The wing ribs look
like they also come from the shinano as well. It looks to
me like they used the underside of the carriers deck. The
25lb field gun has the detail added to the yamato piece
(part #X16). As far as the other details, I haven't found
them yet, but I get new models constantly. It's just a matter
of time...

Zac

RE part 29 from the Shinano - is there only one per kit? In other words - if I'm not resin casting I need 2 of this kit? I may finally break down and use a cast part...

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back