The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

Another brilliant read this morning. The attention to detail, quality, and accuracy are amazing.
I do have to admit that I was a little sad to see it might be shipping in a cardboard box rather than the "starfleet issue" in-universe style plastic cases with custom foam inserts that the other two TOS replicas came in. It would have been nice to have a matching set of Away Team "luggage"
Not a complaint by any stretch, but the packaging/storage cases were a huge part of the experience for me.
Still, this is another fantastic update.

TWC hasn’t said any more than that. The best thing to do would be to follow their Tricorder Blog. They do a good job responding to customer questions there.
That is what I've been doing and where I saw that Chris had mentioned that it was going to be delayed. I've been thinking about asking in the blog but since he already answered it once and has not said anything since I didn't want to bug him about it.

That is what I've been doing and where I saw that Chris had mentioned that it was going to be delayed. I've been thinking about asking in the blog but since he already answered it once and has not said anything since I didn't want to bug him about it.
Gotchya! Since you asked I just assumed you weren’t following the blog.

Hmmm….their choice in color of both the aluminum pieces and the textured plastic body panels invites some concern regarding accuracy. Right now, I’m very concerned.

The aluminum pieces on the show were clearly “pretty aluminum” in color and would create a slight reflective shine when held at a 90 degree angle towards the camera. The pictures of the Wand mock-ups and prototypes look more like “aluminum”, or maybe even “aluminumy”, both of which create a reflective shine when held at a 60 degree angle towards the camera. “Pretty aluminum”, “aluminum”, and “aluminumy” colors all have a clear difference in color variation to the trained eye.

Also, the textured plastic body shells on the prototype are clearly a “deep black” color. Now, the studio originals were more likely a “dark black” color, but I’m not sure if they were a “deep black” color.

I will need to get out my glasses and squint at some pictures to be sure.

Last edited:
Hmmm….their choice in color of the aluminum pieces and the textured plastic body panels invites some concern regarding accuracy.

The aluminum pieces on the show were clearly “pretty aluminum” in color and would create a slight reflective shine when held at a 90 degree angle towards the camera. The pictures of the Wand mock-ups and prototypes look more like “aluminum”, or maybe even “aluminumy”, but perhaps not “pretty aluminum”. “Pretty aluminum”, “aluminum”, snd “aluminumy” colors all have a clear difference in color variation to the trained eye.

Also, the textured plastic body shells on the prototype are clearly a “deep black” color. Now, the studio originals were more likely a “dark black” color, but I’m not sure if they were “deep black” color.

Oh, wait. Wrong thread! This isn't up for auction, right?

Hmmm….their choice in color of the both the aluminum pieces and the textured plastic body panels invites some concern regarding accuracy. Right now, I’m very concerned.

The aluminum pieces on the show were clearly “pretty aluminum” in color and would create a slight reflective shine when held at a 90 degree angle towards the camera. The pictures of the Wand mock-ups and prototypes look more like “aluminum”, or maybe even “aluminumy”, both of which create a reflective shine when held at a 60 degree angle towards the camera. “Pretty aluminum”, “aluminum”, snd “aluminumy” colors all have a clear difference in color variation to the trained eye.

Also, the textured plastic body shells on the prototype are clearly a “deep black” color. Now, the studio originals were more likely a “dark black” color, but I’m not sure if they were a “deep black” color.

you might want to get your monitor calibrated. I'm definitely seeing a clear "aluminumish" rather than "aluminumy". The the "ish" is a tad closer to the real deal than the "y".

Hmmm….their choice in color of the both the aluminum pieces and the textured plastic body panels invites some concern regarding accuracy. Right now, I’m very concerned.

The aluminum pieces on the show were clearly “pretty aluminum” in color and would create a slight reflective shine when held at a 90 degree angle towards the camera. The pictures of the Wand mock-ups and prototypes look more like “aluminum”, or maybe even “aluminumy”, both of which create a reflective shine when held at a 60 degree angle towards the camera. “Pretty aluminum”, “aluminum”, and “aluminumy” colors all have a clear difference in color variation to the trained eye.

10/10 satire, had me fooled at first.

Don’t forget, The Wand Co. is in the UK so they’re probably using a local source for “Alu-minium”, which has a unique hue all its own.

I watch "The curse of oak island" and I love how they trace medieval sources of things like lead back to their source in the area of Europe.

Not liking the bezels on the watch crowns, the "knurling" seems too deep/harsh compared to the originals. Everything else, so far, I am loving.

Not liking the bezels on the watch crowns, the "knurling" seems too deep/harsh compared to the originals. Everything else, so far, I am loving.
I’m ok with the bezels. The originals are all worn down and each one is different. They had to stylize them to how they would look on a new piece of equipment. They can’t put crappy bezels on a shiny new Tricorder. They look most like the one on the left.

C01B22A1-7445-41EF-9E3B-D9AF49077296.jpeg

FF37E663-A49F-4FD0-8616-C5C627F6F353.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back