The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Yeah I'm looking forward to the second game. I HATE scary games, but I had fun with that one. I just tried not to be out at night until the late game where I could kill those super powerful things (it's been awhile, can't recall the name). I just hope in part two that guns are more viable than the first.
Volatiles. I just replayed it a month or so ago. Honestly, most horror games bore me. They're really not scary. It's just cheap jump scares, just like most horror movies.

Volatiles. I just replayed it a month or so ago. Honestly, most horror games bore me. They're really not scary. It's just cheap jump scares, just like most horror movies.
Indeed. I'd rather have a good thriller, than a ton of cheap jump scares.

Indeed. I'd rather have a good thriller, than a ton of cheap jump scares.
I'd rather have some good psychological horror that sticks with you long after you stop playing/watching instead of something you forget about 30 seconds later.

Yeah. I can't remember what game it was, but I remember one that had something really *****d up in it and it freaked me out all night and then I was still thinking about it the next day. It was to the point I was questioning whether I should continue the game that next night. And I'm talking about that I was in my 30s, not a kid. Now it's going to drive me nuts figuring out what it was. That to me is way cooler than jump scares.

Dying Light is really good.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the second game. I HATE scary games, but I had fun with that one. I just tried not to be out at night until the late game where I could kill those super powerful things (it's been awhile, can't recall the name). I just hope in part two that guns are more viable than the first.

Dying Light I've played only a little of. What really weirds me out about it is that my kid loves the Amazon series "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and the guy who voices the Mouse character (and Moose character) in that show voices the main character in Dying Light, and I CAN'T NOT HEAR HIS MOUSE VOICE.

Separate from that, I wouldn't hold your breath on guns being viable. Didn't this same company do the Dead Island games, where guns were similarly useless or at least impractical?

Dying Light I've played only a little of. What really weirds me out about it is that my kid loves the Amazon series "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and the guy who voices the Mouse character (and Moose character) in that show voices the main character in Dying Light, and I CAN'T NOT HEAR HIS MOUSE VOICE.

Separate from that, I wouldn't hold your breath on guns being viable. Didn't this same company do the Dead Island games, where guns were similarly useless or at least impractical?

Some of the devs from the Dead Island series went on to form their own studio and create the Dying Light series. So it has some of the same devs, but different studios.

Some of the devs from the Dead Island series went on to form their own studio and create the Dying Light series. So it has some of the same devs, but different studios.
Ah, that's what it was. Kinda like Black Isle --> old school Bioware.

Big news coming out of Konami today. Looks like they've rebuilt their video game division earlier this year after all but abandoning the industry in favor of Pachinko games. I think they had a CEO change if I'm not mistaken and the guy previously helming the company not only said he didn't play video games but that he didn't even like them; which explains a lot.

Additionally a certain leaker has reported a Chinese developer outsourced by Konami; Virtuous, is now working on a Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake (technically the first game in the Metal Gear timeline so it seems appropriate for a full series remastering/remaking) and that the entire Solid series of Metal Gear games are either getting Remakes or Remasters for the current generation of consoles.
Also Castlevania is getting a ground zero reboot internally at Konami. While Silent Hill will also be returning we don't know yet if it is in the form of remasters, remakes, reboot or an all new installment.

For me personally, as a Metal Gear die hard fan this is the most exciting video game related news I've heard after about three years of rumors and teases of Metal Gear returning in some form, even with the voice actors from the original game talking about working together again on an unknown project.

Sony also confirmed yesterday it has purchased Bluepoint Games which had been a rumor for months now and that Bluepoint is working on both an existing IP and an all new IP. Bluepoint of course being responsible for the tremendously successful remasters of the Uncharted Collection, Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls.

EDIT: Also for any Xcom fans, it's spiritual successor Phoenix Point hit consoles today

Last edited:
I haven't played it yet because I heard it had a lot of bugs and play issues. No idea if that's the case now or not. The PC version has had a while for modders to fix things as well.

Looking for a new game to play, I just downloaded Death Stranding on PC knowing little about it. After a while I remembered why I have avoided Hideo Kojima games for all these years ... it's about 5 min of gameplay followed by 45 minutes of needlessly verbose cutscenes. Graphics are gorgeous but I wanted to play a game, not watch an animated movie. I'll keep playing to see if the gameplay:cutscene ratio improves.

Looking for a new game to play, I just downloaded Death Stranding on PC knowing little about it. After a while I remembered why I have avoided Hideo Kojima games for all these years ... it's about 5 min of gameplay followed by 45 minutes of needlessly verbose cutscenes. Graphics are gorgeous but I wanted to play a game, not watch an animated movie. I'll keep playing to see if the gameplay:cutscene ratio improves.
If you like open world survival games No Man's Sky is lots of fun. It had a rocky launch, from what I understand, but it's come a long way since then. They're released a good number of free updates which have been adding more and more to the game. With the latest update they've introduced settlements allowing you to control your own small city. And if you like base building, this game has a really good base building system allowing you to build some fairly elaborate bases.

dascoyne I stopped playing once I realized that 90% of the game is just running between locations and doing the exact same thing at each spot. Also every "dangerous" area can just be run right past without stopping. The story wasn't interesting enough to even finish to see the final outcome.

I have been playing Assassins' Creed Valhalla. Okay as far as Assassin's creed games go, but it suffers from combat set by twitch reactions to on-screen prompts and boss fights that are near impossible due to the piss poor dodging mechanics. Once you get a few of the dozens of overpowered skills the regular combat is too easy. The story is fine so far, but you will be forced to grind until your character level is higher to get past some challenges.

Konami rumors gaining traction and leaker hints that while the potential Metal Gear Remaster/Remake isn't being done by Bluepoint games as many predicted; they may in fact be working on a Remake or Remaster of Bloodborne which is the reason Sony hasn't put out a PS5 upgrade patch for it yet.

If you like open world survival games No Man's Sky is lots of fun. It had a rocky launch, from what I understand, but it's come a long way since then. They're released a good number of free updates which have been adding more and more to the game. With the latest update they've introduced settlements allowing you to control your own small city. And if you like base building, this game has a really good base building system allowing you to build some fairly elaborate bases.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Just one more jab at Death Stranding and Kojima: If the long cutscenes weren't bad enough, the one that really annoyed me came immediately after the tutorial, so, by the time the cutscenes are done, I forgot some of the key bindings I just learned.

People praise Hideo Kojima as an auteur of video games, but I get burned every time I listen to them. Back in the day, the much-hyped Metal Gear Solid on PS was amazing at first, but the signature close overhead view made no sense to me. It translated to a character who often couldn't see what's happening 25 feet in front of him because the enemy was on the next screen/tile. It was the opposite of "immersive." And the cutscenes were excruciating. Around the same time came Siphon Filter which I played a lot more than MGS.

No Man's Sky sounds interesting.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

No Man's Sky sounds interesting.
NMS is a very interesting game. It really lets you choose how you want to play the game. You can focus on the main story or not, It allows you to choose to build an elaborate base or bases or just a very basic one, or none at all. Spend your time exploring or not, buy and sell all over to maximize your profits if that's something you enjoy, tame animals as pets, and the list goes on. There's so much that you can do in the game and it's so hands off about telling you what to do and when that it's almost hard to decide what to do. It's definitely not the game for you if you're the kind of person that likes a tightly scripted game that's very linear in nature. But if you like or don't mind an open world game that's more loosely structured that lets you do what you want when you want, or not do something then you'll likely enjoy it.

I had a bit of hard time getting used to the game when I first started playing it, but after a few days of playing it, I got hooked. I've been doing the story missions off and on, occasionally just going off and exploring the planet I'm on, or working on my base. Ever since I found what's called a paradise planet, a planet without a hostile climate, I've spent most of my time on that planet and only occasionally going off world and when I do it's only to gather resources not available on my "home world".

The last interesting thing about this game that I should mention is that the game world is entirely procedurally generated. The planets you'll run into and the climate they'll have will be all random. But at the same time, you might run into planets that have been discovered by other players. But you won't necessarily run into that player on the planet or even in the system since you can choose to play single or multi-player.

Rockstar just announced the GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition in honour of the GTA3 anniversary, for current gen systems including updated versions of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas.

EDIT: Also Gungrave, which was announced a few years ago finally gets a teaser. May have to break out the anime and give it another run through after this.

Last edited:
I don't know, something about having to pay AGAIN for a game I already own just really p*sses me off. On the other hand, I really liked the first three GTAs so if they look good I might get them. Either that or what a while for a sale, which would probably be 10+ years because they barely ever discount Rockstar games. I think the studio that made Bioshock did it best because if I remember correctly they came out with remasters of the two games and you could get them discounted if you already owned them.

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Definitive Edition now going up for pre-order on all platforms today. November 11th digital release, December 6th physical release. Control scheme across the board has apparently been updated to GTAV controls which will make playing these earlier games so much easier.

Also new free No Man's Sky update finally adds the sandworms that were teased way back in the original teaser for the game that never appeared.

EDIT: Darkest Dungeon II Early Access teaser just went live since it releases on Epic Store in a few days.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back