The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I can't lie... The release of that game is about 12 years to late, and from the wrong company, for me to ever be interested.

Shame.

Last edited:
I swore off Far Cry after playing Far Cry 2 and being underwhelmed. My nephew told me to get Far Cry 4 because he loved it so I decided to get it in the Steam sale. I didn't know it came with Far Cry 3 so I started it first. I've never had to hunt down animals and skin them because I needed to upgrade my wallet to carry more money... :lol:

3 was the first one I played. I loved it. 4 just didn't seem coherent to me. 5 rocked.
Same here, although as mentioned above hunting to increase the size of your wallet was...interesting, I kept trying to imagine why Jason would like like with all these random fur pouches for ammo and stuff lmao.

4, I just couldn’t get into and I really wanted to like it because I loved 3 so much, it is one of only 3 games I got 100% completion in(the other being Assassin’s Creed 2).

5, I really enjoy it even though Istill need to finish it. I like the takingon a religious cult in the US, I just wish some of apparel options didn’t make you look so redneck lol.

5, I really enjoy it even though Istill need to finish it. I like the takingon a religious cult in the US, I just wish some of apparel options didn’t make you look so redneck lol.

Well, you're a junior sheriff's deputy in Montana, scrounging clothes from preper stashes. North Face jackets and ball caps are the name of the game :p.

And, uh... don't expect a well written ending. Play it for the game play.

The first Far Cry blew me away.
Far Cry 2 turned me off until Far Cry 5 came along.
Far Cry 5 sounded very interesting and it is a lot of fun.

My dad is a Civil War collector and has been asking me why no one has made a CW FPS game.

They've been around for 20 something years; they've just always been utterly pointless. Some combination of glitchy, unplayable, incomplete, inaccurate, underwhelming, boring, unwinnable, etc.

In the last 2 years, it seems like 2 or 3 have come out that have the proper level of playability, historical accuracy, and good A.I. and multiplayer ability, to make them worth playing; for those interested.

My dad is a Civil War collector and has been asking me why no one has made a CW FPS game.

Because that would be boring AF. FPS games are primarily about a single player experience, which is usually relatively fast-paced. Civil War era rifles are slow to load and tended to be fired in formations akin to those predominant in the Napoleonic wars. Who wants to play a guy marching in formation whose top speed is 3 rounds a minute? (Maybe less, due to the rifling.) And it wouldn't make sense to have a single player running around on their own, firing off cartridges that would take, like, 40 seconds to reload just for a single shot.

This is why the earliest era you tend to see in FPS gaming is the Wild West -- more repeating weapons like a lever-action rifle or a revolver. (Yes, I know the Civil War had revolvers, but it didn't have many repeating rifles in wide circulation, if any.)

F71F443E-50FA-4A81-9AF8-80B0B79C05F0.jpeg

This is the only civil war game you will ever need. It is a silly and fun game.

Because that would be boring AF. FPS games are primarily about a single player experience, which is usually relatively fast-paced. Civil War era rifles are slow to load and tended to be fired in formations akin to those predominant in the Napoleonic wars. Who wants to play a guy marching in formation whose top speed is 3 rounds a minute? (Maybe less, due to the rifling.) And it wouldn't make sense to have a single player running around on their own, firing off cartridges that would take, like, 40 seconds to reload just for a single shot.

This is why the earliest era you tend to see in FPS gaming is the Wild West -- more repeating weapons like a lever-action rifle or a revolver. (Yes, I know the Civil War had revolvers, but it didn't have many repeating rifles in wide circulation, if any.)

I present to you the many boring simulators like Truck Simulator, Farming Simulator, etc. There are people who are into it.

Getting back to my FPS roots, I’m really digging Call of Duty Mobile. I’ve been playing mostly on my iPhone, and the game play is fast and entertaining. They have different modes including quick play and longer battle royales. Lots of configurability for weapons, gear, etc.

Sean

Well, you're a junior sheriff's deputy in Montana, scrounging clothes from preper stashes. North Face jackets and ball caps are the name of the game :p.

I gotta play 5 one of these days. If only for the sole reason that I was born and raised, and lived my whole life (so far) in Montana!

The ending is dumb, but it makes the next game, New Dawn, possible and that's a great game too. In fact, there are some revelations in that game that make the whole thing fantastic.

I gotta play 5 one of these days. If only for the sole reason that I was born and raised, and lived my whole life (so far) in Montana!

Oh yeah? Where in Montana? I used to spend summers out your way. Don't get your hopes up about it representing Montana especially accurately. They got the accents all wrong. Everyone is southern-ish, which is NOT what folks sound like.

It's a lot like Homefront: The Revolution, which is set in my home town of Philadelphia...except literally nothing about the geography of the game is anything relating to Philly, people sound more like they're from New York, and there's not a local landmark to be seen. The architecture is...kinda similar, but all the different parts of town you go to are totally made up.

Both games are fun, but not particularly faithful to their ostensible regional settings.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back