The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

When I got it, it had a lot of grime on it. So I took a little 1500 wet and gave it a quick once over. I didn't get into any metal at all, just removed some brown gunk (carbon scoring, grime, or whatever it was).

It was like this before the 1500 wet. I know some folks would have left it alone, but I like it clean.
DSC_3173.jpg

Thanks!! Last pieces I’m waiting on are some genuine aircraft washers, and then I can put on my Marconi transistors!

Sorry to make you sad, Scott! I guess I don’t value “patina” as much as some other folks do.
I don’t mean to poor salt in the wound that Scott already made aware and obviously it’s yours to do what you want, but that ruins the value of it. I use to collect very rare coins and once it’s been cleaned the value is extremely decreased. I’m assuming you know this, but just in case you don’t I thought it’s good to know. I mean I guess someone else may like it too, but realistically it really hurts the resale and the truth is the day will come it will no longer be in your hands and I feel bad seeing that done to such a historic and rare piece. A Romans would have served you had you wanted that type of a look.

While personally I would have kept the natural patina, if I didn’t have a real balance pipe and one that had been cleaned up like that was up for sale and I could afford it I would buy it immediately without hesitation.

A cleaned used one really isn’t any different than finding a new-old-stock version. Adding weathering to either is still a real balance pipe, and those don’t grow on trees.

Hey, it’s ok! There’s no “wound” here for you to pour salt into, haha. At least not any wound to me. It’s ok for you to have whatever opinion you like. I own this for me, to enjoy it, not as an investment. I seriously doubt I’ve affected the value by cleaning it. But if I have, in your eyes or in the eyes of any other potential future buyer (for something I’m not intending to sell), I really don’t care. I love it just the way it is.

While personally I would have kept the natural patina, if I didn’t have a real balance pipe and one that had been cleaned up like that was up for sale and I could afford it I would buy it immediately without hesitation.

The NOS have a dull coating finish around the body, They aren't a raw shiny finish :) Just to clear that up!
Here’s my NOS one.

Attachments

• 06E8D193-EDCD-4956-9F97-B170D1220DEC.jpeg
    06E8D193-EDCD-4956-9F97-B170D1220DEC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
I cleaned the active rust on my grenade, but someone had painted it a long time ago to show it's a "dummy" and I kept that paint and crap on it. I did re-blue the steel to get rid of some of the shiny parts under the rust, just to make it all uniform

I am slightly sad to see that grime gone, but value is gauged by the audience. To vintage aircraft collectors, maybe it has lost value, but the creative prop team in the 70s would not have cared about that. Shiny or tarnished, that is a beautiful piece and I wish to be part of that club one day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back