The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Sym-Cha, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ANHSABERS

ANHSABERS Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very interesting.
    So the correct ones have the reg marks on the skirt? And split apart into several sections?
    Thank you

2. ANHSABERS

Is this correct?

Attached Files:

thd9791 and mugatu like this.
  3. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good

mugatu likes this.
  4. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ANHSABERS That one is as good as you would hope to need.

5. ANHSABERS

Thanks. Been offered one but quite expensive.
    Also have another what do you think of this one?

Attached Files:

6. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That’s not the right one. Those are the modern, oversized versions.

mugatu likes this.
  7. ANHSABERS

Ok. Got it cheap anyway. Have 6 of the larger ones for baths was thinking of bolting them together to make some saber stands.

8. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

take the first one, and sell the modern ones, modern ones can be mounted on a korbanth K4.

mugatu likes this.
  9. thegnome

thegnome New Member

where do you get the pieces to build the lightsaber?

10. mugatu

There are many places, but the problem everyone runs into is the amount of work and the raw hours involved in searching. The places are those that you likely suspect already: in the Junkyard right here on theRPF, other Star Wars prop or collector sites, eBay, other online auction sites, antique shops, boot sales, garage sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc.

Again, there is typically nothing at any of these on an everyday “going to the grocery” type of deal, but things do pop up on all of them from time to time.

The best advice I can give:

1. Do your research. The more you know about whatever it is you are looking for, the more and better the places you look for that item become. Also, along the same lines...

2. Know what you are looking for. When things become this rare, you may have to make a split decision on an item, and at these prices, most cannot afford to make an incorrect purchase.

3. Start saving your money. Again, nothing is worse than finally coming across something you’ve spent a full year of daily searching for to find out you don’t have the funds to cover it. Worst case, you just missed it; best case, you rush to sell some other valuable prop piece to get cash... I am the king of this and it becomes a pointless exercise to some extent.

4. Look, ALL THE TIME.

5. Look EVERYWHERE.

6. Look DEEPER. Sometimes you are looking at it and its right there under your nose but you don’t see it because you haven’t looked deep enough.

7. Do more research. Help out around here. Become the guru and help others get what they want. In this community, good will, helping others, showing you are willing to and have put in your own energy to research questions that have been asked AND ANSWERED a thousand times already, will bring you the respect and willingness to help from other members... members that may have a line or a lead that you are not even aware exists, but one that does exist for a part you have spent years looking for.

This all probably sounds slightly harsh and maybe even not the answer you were necessarily seeking, but I have just handed you the keys to this place and to fulfilling your Star Wars prop dreams. I cannot break it down into any easier pieces than that.

Good luck, and May the Force be with you!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Obiflex, Panaflex, The Ninja and 4 others like this.
  11. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What he said!

Also, many people make some big mistakes when approaching non Star Wars collectors. Not understanding their hobby, not engaging them in a meaninfgful way that makes sense in the context of their hobby, and only asking about the part you are looking for tends to throw up a wall or a high price. As Andy has, I have researched the parts, can speak about their origins as well as the other “variants”. It took many many hours of research. I am part of many other collectors forums and groups and have been for years. I have earned the trust of several people in the aero and Militaria collectors groups. Some of them know about my collection, but also know the amount of time I spent and put in to learn about the parts and the history behind them. It is for that reason that I have been able to buy so many grenades, get fairly regular leads on engines, boosters, etc.

The more recent influx of new people barging into their groups and demanding parts has put many of them on the defensive. This is one of the reasons why there are less items making their way out of certain circles now. So my advice is to go search, have fun, engage, and be respectful. Good luck! It’s a lot of fun.

NeoRutty, Obiflex, Panaflex and 4 others like this.
  12. thegnome

thegnome New Member

Thank you so much! I am building the Blastec DL-44 to its exact specs, so I am seeing the level of detail that is required, and I love it so thanks for the advice. :)

mugatu likes this.
  13. mugatu

THIS THIS THIS. Definitely seek out, but again, take your time, do the research, but be respectful of that community. There is nothing worse (for us) than a bunch of new members to some WWII collector’s forum all asking for the same single rare item. RED FLAG!!!

The long time members there that have this stuff, know exactly why (by now) all these new people are asking for this specific item. And so the door is slammed to all those new people and likely anyone that has already been deeply entrenched there for years. Patience is not only a virtue, but a necessity. Besides, you may pick up a new hobby while you are there getting to know everybody...

D2FFBDF1-1313-4A5A-9100-88D4321E17FB.jpeg

Best of luck. With this group of experts here, I know you can put together an exact copy of any prop you want to. There are some real geniuses here with keen eyes for every detail.

russellsch and The Ninja like this.
  14. teecrooz

Yeah, weird side hobbies develop!

Attached Files:

NeoRutty, SethS, russellsch and 3 others like this.
  15. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love this thread...

thegnome, russellsch and mugatu like this.
  16. mugatu

teecrooz The knob on the end here looks really familiar for some reason. Hmmm.

50074A6E-07F2-48C2-9AEE-E6B3C7693618.jpeg

Is it just me???

17. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

While I doubt, that this is the correct item for the ANH macros, I definitely see the resemblance

mugatu likes this.
  18. mugatu

Haha Markus, that was what Chris said to me later. Its definitely the cross bar. I told him I’ve just been looking at way too many dials lately.

19. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

It's funny how when you've been searching for all the odd little strange & unique pieces we hunt for, after a while everything starts to look "greeblied". As an example, the photos of the disk brakes from earlier in this thread ;)

nailuj, mugatu and The Ninja like this.
  20. Sabs

Sabs Member

Are these measurements accurate? I'm building a CAD model of the Obi Wan saber so I can make drawings and post them here. It would be a great resource, I think, and hopefully everyone can help to make them the most accurate drawings by measuring their parts and adding to them. Since I'm mostly going by photo reference. And we all know how camera lenses can distort things. This thread has been really helpful for clear photos that aren't on too weird of an angle. So thanks for that!

mugatu likes this.
  21. Sabs

Sabs Member

Is that the diameter with the cubes or under the cubes?

22. thegnome

thegnome New Member

Here is a question have any of you tried to 3d copy using a laser printer to engrave a piece of metal using a cad model of the parts?

23. teecrooz

I don’t understand the question. Which part are you referring to? Are you asking about laser scanning, 3D printing, engraving, or creating a CAD model as individual processes?

I’d love to hear about the advacnded action machine that does all these things at the same time!

mugatu, Serenity and JoeG like this.
  24. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed that is the diameter including the cubes :)

mugatu and Sabs like this.
  25. Sabs

Sabs Member

This does almost all of those things, actually.

thegnome and mugatu like this.
  26. Sabs

Sabs Member

Is the hand wheel assembled upside down on the actual prop? seems to me like the cubes and the bevel on the edge of the outer edge are on the wrong side of the piece from one picture to the other.

27. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

The tap comes apart, & you can actually assemble the cubes in either "up" or "down" position.

28. thegnome

thegnome New Member

Yeah probably a laser scanner is what I read about. I don't remember exactly because I read about it a few years ago.

29. Serenity

In the set pictures from the Tunisia shoot, the handwheel cubes are assembled in the original (as intended) position.

The Chronicles/Mechanismo pictures have the cubes flipped around.

mugatu and Sabs like this.
  30. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Roman has a great video on how to disassemble the handle for cube flipping.

31. Sabs

Sabs Member

can you share a link?

32. Serenity

Panaflex and Sabs like this.
  33. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER