The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Sym-Cha, Apr 5, 2017.

1. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That´s basically the cost for the FULL deac. Browning MK2, which we only need/ want the barrel jacket/ booster/ cone etc. of :(
    Since I can not ship a deac. MK2 overseas, I will strip it for the needed parts and scrap the rest (which is worthless for any military collector then)

Insane, I know

2. Bradberry00

Bradberry00 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just throwing this out there...and it may not be something worth considering. But, would it be worth removing the booster and replacing it with a Roman or other replica and reselling the gun at a lower cost, maybe you could sell it for 500 euro for example making the part we need a little more affordable and not completely scraping a piece of history.

just throwing out ideas.

mugatu likes this.
  3. OdiWan72

Already thought about this buddy.,
    BUT you have to keep in mind that the boosters are WELDED to the barrel jackets. Without proper tools (which I am lacking), you have to -partially- destroy the sleeve by grinding/ filing/ cutting the weld off and removing the booster. Been there, done that for my own booster (thanks again mugatu) and it is not funny...besides of that I won´t have the time to do this anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  4. fezfox

fezfox Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll make this comment that based on my own recent purchase, 1500euros is definitely the correct ballpark for a booster alone.

These things are hard to come by.

I'd add, based on my own experience, that if a full vintage ANH/Obi-Wan saber were to ever to come on the market, you'd expect it to be around $10,000USD

5. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is accurate, last complete I saw for sale was right around that price.

I always thought the grenade was the hardest part to find, boy was I wrong

I honestly don’t know the going rate for grenades? I’ve seen

Male balance pipes (converted) 750
    Clamps 150-180
    Sink knobs 250-400
    Boosters 1500euros
    Grenades ??
    Calculator 250

Are these prices accurate?

Edited with better quotes from owners 10/19/18

Balance pipe (male): 1000-1500
    Balance pipe (female): 1500+
    Clamps: 150-180
    Boosters: 1500 euros (1800 US dollars)
    Grenades: 2000 (good condition)
    Sink knob: 250-400
    Calculators: 250
    Resistors: cheap enough to not have to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    ANHSABERS and Field Marshall like this.
  6. OdiWan72

From my experience, even the male BPs are sold for 1000-1500 usd these days.
    Decently conditioned grenades fetch up to 2000 easily

halliwax likes this.
  7. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Danny’s plus Markus’ amounts are about right. There are always ranges, especially if you find it yourself on a non-auction site.

halliwax likes this.
  8. halliwax

I thought I saw good grenades in that rang as well, well didn’t actually see them but saw posts saying a good grenade is 2000 but I didn’t believe it

Wow. So boosters going for 1500euros is a freak’n steal!!

9. teecrooz

Also forgot to put in my post that you had pricing for a male converted BP at $1,000- $1,500. Accurate female BPs are more.

10. andyroo

andyroo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Grenades aren't that expensive over here. They seem to go for about 600 GBP and I see them fairly often. Just haven't got 600 quid at the minute unfortunately!

GreyJedi279 likes this.
  11. halliwax

Are they accurate profile in decent shape?

12. halliwax

Edited, added male and female

13. andyroo

Yeah, they're the correct ones. Saw a beautiful one go for £400 the other day. I was trying to bag that one myself but with being at work I couldn't keep my eye on the auction so got out bid.

Bengrim09, teecrooz and halliwax like this.
  14. teecrooz

The total price was a bit more. That was 400 pounds plus a buyers premium and shipping. It was a cleaned up dug up item with some small pitting condition issues. I wish I could have picked it up!

15. OdiWan72

Always looking to upgrade mine with a 100% accurate one...would appreciate any help :cool

The Ninja and mugatu like this.
  16. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I too wanted to grab it but I couldnt register my CC from the US. It was a very nice one.

Bradberry00, Panaflex and andyroo like this.
  17. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So hard costs IF, and that’s a big if, you can source all the parts, are ballparked at $6,000 USD.
    I suppose the $10K USD figure accounts for the legwork: Antique stores, flea markets, calls to arms dealers, UK plumbers, and aviation graveyards- sleepless nights pouring over the Internet, the inevitable call to Rolls Royce and of course friendships made across the globe to make the dream real. Here’s hoping I don’t have to sell mine off.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    mugatu and andyroo like this.
  18. eethan

eethan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

last time I had prices in head, it was like 1000€ for a balance pipe or a booster and around 500 for a greande, I can't believe how even more expensive those items became! even the handwheel going for 400€ now is crazy. I'm so jalous of all you guys who have even some of the real parts :$
    And Markus, amazing that you are offering this run of boosters, I never imagined I would see a "run" of those, them being so rare. If someone could do it, It was certainly you though! :thumbsup

mugatu and The Ninja like this.
  19. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Heh... there was to many hoops to jump though for me *and* there wasn't any guarantee that they'd be able to ship to NA... so I let it go....

Bradberry00 and mugatu like this.
  20. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Could you or anyone who followed that same auction post a picture of said grenade, please?

Chaïm

21. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hales.jpg

22. andyroo

This

b25c7049aa7781a14c7898be68fc376b.jpg

Bradberry00, russellsch and Sym-Cha like this.
  23. halliwax

Looks rather small doesn’t it?

24. fezfox

fezfox Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Its perfectly adequate, but if there was a rating system, I'd give it 4/5

russellsch likes this.
  25. andyroo

Yeah, not perfect by anyone's standards but pretty good. One of the better ones I've seen.

26. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the stand!

If I still had a replica around, I'd attach my rod parts and display...

hm.

27. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The actual purchase price would have been a bit over £500. People forget when you deal with an auction house as Chris mentioned there is a buyers premium - this one was 27% for an on line bid. There were some nice WW2 pieces non SW related sold in the auction that day.

andyroo likes this.
  28. Marv

Keep your eyes open some nice ones show up from time to time. I think there were a lot of dealers looking at this one, the guy doing the auction said something about - bit bevvied can't think of the term - his commissions - being upset it had got to that price.

29. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

That display for the grenade is fantastic!
    I missed the auction. Otherwise I would've totally been a bidder :p

30. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would love to find a balance pipe for 1500!!!

andyroo likes this.
  31. Kalel76

Kalel76 Active Member

Same...Still looking for the dang Balance Pipe. It's the last piece I need.

Field Marshall likes this.
  32. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would give alot more than 1500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    \

33. GreyJedi279

GreyJedi279 New Member

Absolutely! It’s now my last piece

Field Marshall likes this.
  34. Bradberry00

My dream is slowly becoming a reality! Yesterday, a "candlestick" aka Hales grenade showed up at my door after a nail biting few days stuck "In Transit". I was hoping to strip the paint and blue it. However, after stripping, some filler showed itself in one area so it had to be painted it again; this time flat black which was then buffed and aged...it is passable for me for now, but I will keep my eyes open for a replacement/upgrade. Thanks everyone who has helped in the journey thus far!

Here is the grenade in the original painted condition along with a few other bits collected:

dg5PgLX_SrO7nI1-L0-zmYsQZcvF37krn3Mm9bDHFT8cOvQFDmLRZo87pIj_QHym8Z1_HZxsw&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

And in it's repainted form:

3x52Q7SM6TkzWKj-7yHAWi7ug9UeiL_RmYs7b7Iq3Hy58DIAv66QWHfpBQY7cYLgeHgxp_Nkg&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  35. Marv

That looks nice, shame you didn't have a second one, that one its colourful painting scheme would have made a nice parts piece to display.

Bradberry00 likes this.
  36. Bradberry00

Are people using Roman's "transistor" washers, or is there another source/real part people are using?

SubLevel5 likes this.
  37. SubLevel5

SubLevel5 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I machined my own.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bradberry00 likes this.
  38. Bradberry00

How much for a pair ;)

39. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Funny how vintage washers of the correct type have turned out to be a difficult find after everything else is said and done.

mugatu, Bradberry00 and thd9791 like this.
  40. eethan

eethan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

grenade is looking amazing, congrats :thumbsup

russellsch and Bradberry00 like this.
  41. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A partially vintage parts lightsaber commissionned by a friend, the best price-accuracy and electronic compromise.

-modified replica romans grenade
    -romans booster and emitter
    -rebelscum bubble
    -vintage transistor, real vintage pommel and clamp.
    -replica clamp cap, washers and blade plug from my own design.

IMG_7931.JPG

I designed 3 different versions:
    -hot and cold earlier design, with hollow armitage shanks name , available on shapeways
    -cold design like picture, available on i-materialize.

I also designed a complete pommel, retrofitting a vintage AS hanwheel and also fitting a real or romans booster, so it's entirely hollow, but printing price from chromed brass is quite expensive even it's a perfect replica.
    I was thinking about putting the front and back rings on shapeways, so it would help people to put real pommels on fx lightsaber version, making completely hollow vintage pommel, it would mean keeping original cubes and cap and using my front and back rings, keeping the "reg des" on it, of course, the detail is added.

42. halliwax

Thank god therpf is back... I’ve missed this thread!

43. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Honest to god, My Booster was 350. USD. My sink knob was over 100... calculator was 70... grenades have all been beneath 600... clamp was from a camera kit that was under 200 and the balance pipe is the last thing I need. (or a better grenade) the current prices shock me

halliwax and mugatu like this.
  44. mugatu

I’ve been thinking about this. There may be something to this, IF anyone runs across a complete parts kit in the US.

Tom, you are now going to come across a BP for $8000.00USD!!!

thd9791 likes this.
  45. BlandoCalrssian

BlandoCalrssian New Member

Does a clamp and transistors get you in the club? ;) Mostly a Romans Mk 1, but I this is about as far as itll go, I dont think I can afford to go down this rabbit hole :lol:

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1323.JPG

thd9791, russellsch and Sym-Cha like this.
  46. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Ooohhh, you're already on The Rabbit Hole Ride my friend ;)
    Enjoy the ride. Looks good(y)

NeoRutty, Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  47. mugatu

What russellsch says is true: it is too late for you now. The rabbit hole swells and consumes.

NeoRutty, russellsch and Sym-Cha like this.
  48. mugatu

I am transplanting this into this full OB1 thread in order to help those of you who may be seeking but have not found the elusive correct Armitage Shanks handwheels:

46DDD42A-F85A-4AAE-9476-3594B24ADF67.jpeg A8DA7EE0-B8CE-4A64-B022-28D8B16428FD.jpeg 1879E3BD-AA1E-4842-A058-D1710D4D2F16.jpeg

RPF Member JamieCarter asked:

- So I can tell when trawling eBay exactly what I'm looking for? Can you tell from the exterior? No AS logo?

- I feel I just jizzed some money for nothing.

- So avoid anything with the AS logo?

It is possible to tell from the outside, besides the cap logo, if it is the absolutely correct type/era handwheel. In my real parts hunting adventures, the defining characteristics that tell me if it is the right handwheel (from the outside) are:

A. The sharpness of the cube lines.

A517D527-607A-45A1-A9A7-123A60FD6EC1.jpeg

It can often be difficult to notice, particularly if the photos are not in focus, and/or are not relatively close up to the handwheels. The reality is when I have been hunting AS wheels, I have found about 70% of the time the photos are not close up and 90% of the time are not in focus as the people selling them usually are of the mindset that the handwheels are simply old and dirty used junk that they have just spent the last 20-30 years looking at every single time they went to use the restroom. While hopeful that some buyer will actually want to buy their gross, bacteria-laden, calcified “refuse farm” handwheels, there is also the reality that (other than this one rare case caused by Obi-Wan’s lightsaber) most people don't look forward to the idea of publicly displaying the results of what decades of their restroom usage does to handwheels in, magnified on the internet for all to see.

1AEFDB99-B240-43DB-ACAA-F71346379640.jpeg

It is a sad fact for the hunter (us), but the longer you search you will see that you are probably more likely to find an in-focus photo of the Loch Ness Monster than you are an in-focus photo of the correct Armitage handwheels for sale on the internet.

9B681B26-B198-4336-A808-C3D81C73D621.jpeg

On the rare occassion that you do find some crispy pics, but the top of the handwheel is still not visible, the Delta logo handwheel (which is the commonly found late-era/incorrect version) does not appear to have cube lines that are quite as sharp as the cube lines on the correct early-era handwheels.

7FCDC18A-75DA-4687-AF88-0ED145DA738D.jpeg

AB0FB854-71F0-4268-B1DC-B9075EC5BE0F.jpeg

B. There is no overall taper to the cubes of the correct era/logo handwheels. The Delta logo handwheels taper slightly toward one end of the cube ring (usually from the bottom of the cube ring to the top, although this can be the reverse depending on how the cube ring is inserted over the base cylinder portion of the handwheel), with the bottom being larger or flared out more than the diameter at the top. Again, once you have the two versions in your hands, it is obvious, but in a blurry photo, not so easy to detect.

C. The upper shelf on the correct era handwheel is curved/rounded...

61303FAE-7CC8-4C71-96A4-A26C9F6AD806.jpeg

...whereas incorrect handwheels have either only a very small abrupt curve at the very edge of the top portion OR there is essentially just a flat shelf.

916C789A-E899-482F-AC7E-F54DC8F0917A.jpeg

The flat shelf type is generally found as having a black color indice ring instead of blue or red. This is the least correct version (in my mind) as the shelf is the most blatant difference making it the easiest to detect. INTERESTINGLY, I have found that the black indice ring version does however share an identical non-tapering cube ring with the desireable correct handwheel that we seek out but the Delta logo cube ring is not interchangeable. Thus, if you DO stumble upon the black indice ring version rather than the 100% correct version, it should still be considered a “win”.

8F86B27A-323E-4ECD-8927-370E590495D6.jpeg

As to whether you’ve thrown your money away or if you should avoid the Delta logo version altogether, only you can make that decision as it is part of the prop collector’s dilemma and part of the philosophy that only you can dictate. Is a slightly not correct yet real found part version of the pommel better than a “looks correct” replica of the real part? Even though it may look completely correct, isn’t it actually less correct since it is 100% replica and 0% real found part? Only you can answer that, for yourself. It is something many of us struggle with and go back and forth on for a long time.

I’ve always felt that a Delta logo handwheel is better to have than a replica handwheel, IF one is going for a real found parts prop replica. At that same time, I know that ultimately, in the end, I will probably be bothered by the part not being absolutely 100% the correct real part, and it will bother me to the point that given the opportunity I will “need” to upgrade to the correct piece. Luckily, not everyone feels this way. It is probably more sane to not be this way.

Just remember, it’s easy to be dissatisfied with a piece once you have it in hand, but there are always ten more people without that incorrect-but-closer-than-anything-else piece that would want to have it.

Good luck hunting.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  49. halliwax

This needs to be a sticky! Beautiful write up andy!

mugatu, Panaflex and russellsch like this.
  50. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I completely agree with Halliwax. Fantastic write up, with great photos! (y)

mugatu likes this.