The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Sym-Cha, Apr 5, 2017.

1. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great post Andy! What about the other variants? Amber and gold, what about the ones that were perfect externally but had more metal on the interior and would have had to be drilled out to accommodate the booster? Didn’t we find some of those in Australia? ;)

mugatu likes this.
  2. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic piece! I learned something from the read. Love the visuals.

mugatu likes this.
  3. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is one like that. I have this saved as credit to "Mandio222" I believe:

img].jpg

4. teecrooz

Thanks Charley, that’s the beast I was talking about!

5. teecrooz

Dug through some 2015 emails with mugatu. Found these in there.

C5EC71BF-8C4F-4244-B1EA-20389AF36301.jpeg

95BEEFD2-A2AC-48C8-AE48-5C576EF13CCC.jpeg

The Ninja, russellsch and mugatu like this.
  6. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There is so much more that would need to go into a full AS thread. I originally was trying to just encourage JamieCarter about the AS acquisition that he had just completed.

It does seem like searching for these will just be a very difficult game of Where’s Waldo, but its really much more like going into the woods and hunting pheasant without a dog to kick them up, and if you do see them, they are flying by quickly; moving targets.
    Honestly, both of those pics about how blurry the photos usually are on the internet are both WAY better than most posted auction pics where I have found the real deal.

teecrooz you or Romans Empire should write up a section on all the different types, including that baker’s dozen golden family Roman beat me out on a couple years ago;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  7. mugatu

Thanks guys. It was an exciting Saturday night, hahaha. But thank you.

8. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't know if any of you happened to watch Peter Jackson's 'they shall not grow old'
    BBC Two - They Shall Not Grow Old - A truly incredible piece of film making.
    There is a point in the film where you get to see one of the soldiers firing off what looks to be a No3 Rifle Grenade from the trenches.

mugatu likes this.
  9. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have one of these as well that I'm using as one of my display hand wheels. You'd need to hacksaw off a big chunk off that one insert piece in order for it to work as a part of an Obi build.

mugatu likes this.
  10. The Ninja

The Ninja Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent post & info mugatu the only thing you left out brother was the sale links lol!!

mugatu likes this.
  11. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Where are you looking ? Can you send me a link so I can keep my open

12. mugatu

Haha I wish. I have been coming up empty on these for a while. These old eyes just aren’t what they used to be.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  13. Bradberry00

Bradberry00 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Crappy photo....but project Real Parts Obi is off to a good start! Just need to find a booster, have a Roman replica as a place holder for now. Thanks Marv and teecrooz for your assistance!

46290379_964182510433227_4441589563860713472_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

14. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that looks nice :)

Bradberry00 likes this.
  15. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Great photo! :)

Bradberry00 likes this.
  16. teecrooz

Looks great David! Glad your parts showed up!

Bradberry00 and Panaflex like this.
  17. fightercaptured

fightercaptured Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking great!

Bradberry00 likes this.
  18. mugatu

Saw this today while hunting and my heart did skip for a monent or two:

F5FDCE19-9614-4A8F-A3EA-24A0CB6DF251.jpeg

The Ninja likes this.
  19. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

HAA! That would cool, to build a giant Obi-Wan lightsaber.

mugatu likes this.
  20. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a tease

mugatu likes this.
  21. The Ninja

The Ninja Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LOL!! mugatu it must be the week for it, I came across this listing and had the same reaction :eek:

2.jpg 3.jpg

russellsch and mugatu like this.
  22. mugatu

The Ninja likes this.
  23. Rick Welch

Rick Welch New Member

Hello! New member here and I'm very impressed with the amount of knowledge and detail concerning Obi-Wans lightsaber!

roygilsing likes this.
  24. Rick Welch

Rick Welch New Member

I have had in my possession for over 20 years now what may be a possible Obi-Wan Original Trilogy stunt lightsaber. It was given to me by a person who is in the 501st and was an extra on ROTJ as a Stormtrooper. I have had it in my safe for quite a while and just recently got it out because I'm curious of its authenticity. It appears to have vintage parts on it and it also has at the business end (I believe its the emitter) inside is threaded for the dowel rods used to practice and shoot the fights.
    I realize the actual odds of this piece are very low to be a true stunt sabre from the OTs, but I'm curious to find out.
    Any information concerning this piece would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

cjchiu and mugatu like this.
  25. teecrooz

Hi Rick Welch, welcome to the rpf!

The Obi-Wan saber is a passion of mine. Let me know if you have any questions.

The pictures you posted are of a Parks saber replica. It’s a great replica and I remember when he offered them years ago. I think someone altered the emitter though. There should be a ring of holes there.

There are also parts added to the clamp, such as the covertec knob that shouldn’t be there.

26. Rick Welch

Rick Welch New Member

Thank you for you information! Do you know what time frame the Parks Lightsaber replicas were coming out?

27. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That style, starting about 8 years ago.

28. Rick Welch

Rick Welch New Member

Now I'm really curious.....I recieved this piece in early 1999. Is it possible that Parks had earlier models?

29. teecrooz

His hilts from that time frame were quite different.

James is right, this wasn’t made in 1999. 2005-12 maybe. Can someone confirm when his multipack came out? I would say 2005-6. He didn’t add the text to the windvane until that time period after MR started to decline. That’s when I remember the large “group buys”.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  30. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Hey Rick Welch ! Welcome to The RPF!

psst.... your windvane is upside down. ;)

31. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Welcome to the RPF, Rick Welch!

And welcome to the world of Obi's saber... it only gets more obsessive from here.

Bengrim09 likes this.
  32. Rick Welch

Rick Welch New Member

Thank you everyone for the welcome! I really do appreciate it!
    I will fix the windvane....lol

I double checked my timeline when I had recieved the piece and it was for sure early in 1999. Is it possible it is another type replica?

I am by no means any type of expert concerning the Obi Wan lightsaber, this was recommended to me by several people because of everyone's expertise on these... so any information is greatly appreciated.

33. teecrooz

I’m sorry, but there were no replicas such as this at that time. I’ve seen and had almost all available products. SD studios, Darth Hez, Parks, icons, 5postboy, MR, early Roman, updated parks, Russ rep, new Roman, and real parts. Not even going to mention the new KR sabers which has obviously reverse engineered aspects of Roman and Korbanth/Parks. No other reason for them to have replicated “inaccuracies” unless they were copying parts.

The only grenade replica that possibly had writing on the windvane back that far was a cast brass grenade. This is not one of those casts.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    mugatu and Dann like this.
  34. Rick Welch

Rick Welch New Member

Is it possible that this is a stunt prop from the films? Or is it safe to rule that out?

35. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did some snooping on Archive.org and it looks like the original ship date was supposed to be November 15th, 2004 for his first Saber Kit which consisted of his MPP, Kobold, and Obi versions.

teecrooz likes this.
  36. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Its absolutely not a stunt prop from the films. It has way too many tells that indicates its a replica.

37. teecrooz

I was close with 2005 then! Thanks Charley!

38. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know it’s a Parks because I was part of the team that put the group buy together and I have 2 of them (this one has been slightly weathered)
    2v2EH1kk4x9iKVL.jpg

Lots of Parks tells, like the single cast pommel and the set screws.
    2v2EH1kmVx9iKVL.jpg

If you loosen the clamp, the grenade should unscrew from the booster (fin) section.
    2v2EH1kSkx9iKVL.jpg

Parks did make an earlier version, I bought this one from him in 2002 before the pommel/booster/grenade/emitter had been identified and replicas were made from looking at photos and screen-caps.

2v2EH1k5mx9iKVL.jpg

2v2EH1kqCx9iKVL.jpg

Dann, mugatu, fezfox and 1 other person like this.
  39. Rick Welch

Rick Welch New Member

I gotta say....I'm very impressed with all the knowledge about this piece, and I think its safe to say my piece is in fact a Parks Saber replica.

Thank everyone for all the information concerning this piece. I guess the next order of business for me is to put the proper parts on this piece so its completed as intended. Are these parts difficult to locate?

roygilsing likes this.
  40. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you mean actual vintage parts, then yes, they can be difficult to source. And expensive. The easiest would probably be the Graflex clamp and the transistors that are supposed to be attached. Check the first page of this thread and you'll see what the other real life parts actually are. We're talking about vintage militaria and part of an old British jet engine. Did I mention it would be expensive?

41. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Rick, it's good to see that you followed my recommendation and posted your question here. You have received answers from the top experts of Obi-wan's ANH lightsaber in the world!

Roy

mugatu and Panaflex like this.
  42. Edraven99

Hey wait a titch... those are *my* pictures... didn't even notice that the first time around. You know I contribute stuff to you too ya know (dagnabbit, where's the old man shaking fist emoji!)

mugatu likes this.
  43. teecrooz

Haha. Ok, Dave took the pictures. Andy and I were talking about them for some reason. (y)

mugatu likes this.
  44. Edraven99

S'ok... Even I forgot I took those pictures :)... but then I noticed the 'thank you' list from my wedding underneath the handles lol

mugatu likes this.
  45. mugatu

I don’t know... I’m fairly confident that is a replica “thank you” list.

Serenity likes this.
  46. ANHSABERS

ANHSABERS Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very very nice indeed. Any genuine parts for sale please?
    Thank you

47. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Keep checking the Junkyard forum :)

mugatu likes this.
  48. Jediseth

Jediseth Member

Holy crap! I’ve never been able to find one part for that thing everytime I get ambitious enough to look. I have seen the Electra a few times, but that’s it.

Great work to those who have.

49. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

This is not for the impatient. It's not something one will just go out & "oh look, there it is" find. Many have been hunting parts for years. & a few parts (plural), when found, are close to - or more - than rent/mortgage payment. So beware this fantastic rabbit hole.
    Enjoy the hunt.

50. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been hunting for a good condition grenade for a long time and I ended up with an MK2 for now. Not quite the same piece of equipment but I've been through 2 grenades over like 5 years. They were expensive :D

russellsch and mugatu like this.