The style thread

joberg

Legendary Member
It seems that there's a need to discuss fashion, style and sane choices in terms of clothes to wear according to contexts (Protocol/Etiquette).
It's just education/information needed to present oneself into the World.
I'm not going to go "overboard" with the details (not a lot of people are as crazy as me). Just the bases folks, just the bases...unless someone wants to go as mad as me ;)
There's a lot of members, here, who have a lot of experience in historical costuming/cosplay and their input will be valuable in our discussion also.
Remember: Fashion can be fun and can be very complicated also...you have to choose which way you want to go.

It seems that there's a need to discuss fashion, style and sane choices in terms of clothes to wear according to contexts (Protocol/Etiquette).
It's just education/information needed to present oneself into the World.
I'm not going to go "overboard" with the details (not a lot of people are as crazy as me). Just the bases folks, just the bases...unless someone wants to go as mad as me ;)
There's a lot of members, here, who have a lot of experience in historical costuming/cosplay and their input will be valuable in our discussion also.
Remember: Fashion can be fun and can be very complicated also...you have to choose which way you want to go.

Hmmm…well, based upon my experience out shopping, over the past weekend, it is well within the boundaries of etiquette and good taste to find oneself wearing one’s pajamas in public.

(Example)
966C0F48-70EB-4975-B587-084EDE9A0B0E.jpeg

So, yes, let’s please have this conversation (y)

Last edited:
I've been so caught up in making costumes that I haven't had a chance to do it yet but eventually I want to make my own clothing and have only a handful of pieces purchased from a store. Granted I don't dress well per se now but I would certainly dress better if I was making the clothes.

Usually my costume stuff yields one or two pieces that are unique but can still be daily wear so I incorporate them in. That said, I know nothing about real world suits and would love to start there to have a base. Like why does my body seem to never fit the jackets I find but the sizes match? It is a rare day that the shoulder sleeve T seam, on top, ever lands on the hole where my shoulder meets my arm. What fricking measurement is that?

I saw someone wearing a colonial tricornered hat with a ridiculously long Tom Baker Dr. Who like scarf at a grocery store and I wondered WTF?? The rest of the outfit was normal jeans and tee shirt. Am I missing some sort of "old is new" fashion trend or is that guy missing something?
I am about to break out the Indiana and the bowler. I just need the right suit for each.

There’s a reason why I like characters like Indiana Jones or Nathan Drake so much in terms of costuming or collecting—most of their get-up can be used in a casual setting as well as costume stuff, if you buy quality items. I use my satchel to take stuff into work or for carrying camera gear when I’m out on shoots; my hat and boots have been used similarly on outdoor shoots as well. My Indy jacket is a mainstay in my wardrobe, though I’d like to upgrade soon. My everyday-wear watch is a Fossil with a cuff band similar to Nate’s in Uncharted 4. Anyway, my point is that characters like these have elements to their wardrobe that are timeless, functional, and fashionable. And it makes me feel less stupid for spending a lot of money on a costume piece if I can use it more often than at Halloween or whatever.

I don't know the exact nature of this thread but if it's advice on dressing, I say this: dress for the day. It doesn't matter if it's the same outfit you've worn for a week-and-a-half, or you're trussed up in the latest trends: get out of your pj's and dress for the day. Make your bed, brush your teeth, dress yourself, have breakfast if you need it--That's the day started. It's little rituals like that build a sense of agency, self-worth and respect.

As for me, I mostly wear military surplus. Old military surplus, at that. I'm on the small and slight side of builds and there's not much available commercially that fits my body type without going into the weird cuts of children's clothing (and I have too much pride/shame for that). Old military surplus is stocked with clothes that perfectly fit me (when there were more people built like me due to poor nutrition) and are robust enough for my needs. It also doesn't hurt that I like heavy, textured, coarse fabrics. Yeah, they might stink of must from time to time, but a wash will make it nearly-new! I'm more for function over form and clothes is just another facet of that for me.

My family says that I have a "look" I've not strayed from, and my every-day wear is this:

- Cardigan or Jacket (with lots of pockets, if possible) in a shade of "olive green." Green has always been my favorite color and I like earthier tones. There's not a day since childhood where I've not worn a jacket or some kind of extra outerwear.​
- Shirt is typically a Henley undershirt in warmer weather or paired with a wool sweater in colder months. I've fallen out of favor with crew neck tee's, as I think they're a bit restrictive at the chest, and full button up's I just find stuffy. I don't wear anything with labels, prints, or imagery. Just simple, solid, warm colors. I also avoid wearing solid white unless "flecked" with another color. I tend to mess clothes easily so the break-up pattern helps hide stains I may not notice.​
- Pants are typically jeans: blue, grey, or brown, and always with a belt. No black pants. Though, I'm entering that point in my life where jeans stop looking decent on men. I continue to wear them now but I'm looking for alternatives (maybe canvas as they tend to last longer).​
- Footwear: boots. High-cut leather boots, fully laced, no zippers. Always in a chocolate brown color, and never buffed. I keep every scuff like a badge. I've rocked with Dr. Martens for a long time now, but I may have to finally turn over to something else. The quality hasn't been very good ever since they stopped all manufacturing in England, so I'm on the look-out for something better but in similar veins.​
No other accompanying details: no watch, no rings/earrings, no necklaces, nor any sort of trinkets. I've always worked with my hands and around machinery, and safety precautions just naturally turned into preference. Summer or fall/winter come round, I'll throw on my hat and scarf, but other than that, function over form.

Last edited:
I tend to stick with solid colors and earth tones too. I tend to look absurd in bright flashy colors and that's just not my style anyway. My wife loves me in polo shirts but I can't stand them. They feel too pretentious for me and I feel like the preppy villain in a John Hughes movie whenever I'm forced to wear one. I might as well tie a cardigan around my shoulders and laugh at all the poor people...

rytteriet-snobberne.gif

I told myself that I would stop wearing clothing with logos or labels when I turned 40 but I still haven't gotten rid of the few t-shirts I have left with images on them. More for convenience than anything else and I've got some super comfy ones I'm not ready to part with just yet because they've softened up enough plus the clothing I used to wear to work at my old job would get ruined with enough time so I never wanted to risk destroying a nice garment.

Something about having a logo/ phrase/ "vintage" look image splashed across the front, or some geek t-shirt with an image of Han Solo just feels sad to me at this age and the need to broadcast my entertainment preferences on my shirts left me by my early 30's. I'm not faulting anyone who enjoys wearing them, as I said I have a few left, but I need to retire those sooner rather than later.

I would like to dress better than I currently have most of my adult life. Being able to make my own custom stuff is still the goal as I can establish my own style. I'm more keen now to dress more age appropriate and well at that.

Being able to make my own custom stuff is still the goal as I can establish my own style. I'm more keen now to dress more age appropriate and well at that.

Good luck on that endeavor! I've toyed with a similar idea myself in the past but fabrics are expensive. I'm always shocked at how much one needs just to make a single pair of pants. I'm not the world's best tailor but I can sew and make garments. I typically just make one-off things to satisfy an obsession. An example is Nicholson's Joker ensemble from the Burton's Batman. Particularly his pants. I love how garish it is. I have accurate patterns for it, and a tartan supplier to make it, just the price of it is a killer for just one pair. o_O

Good luck on that endeavor! I've toyed with a similar idea myself in the past but fabrics are expensive. I'm always shocked at how much one needs just to make a single pair of pants. I'm not the world's best tailor but I can sew and make garments. I typically just make one-off things to satisfy an obsession. An example is Nicholson's Joker ensemble from the Burton's Batman. Particularly his pants. I love how garish it is. I have accurate patterns for it, and a tartan supplier to make it, just the price of it is a killer for just one pair. o_O
Cost wise, I look for fabric when in thrift stores and I bin it in the garage. Same for boot and yard sales.

I tend to stick with solid colors and earth tones too. I tend to look absurd in bright flashy colors and that's just not my style anyway. My wife loves me in polo shirts but I can't stand them. They feel too pretentious for me and I feel like the preppy villain in a John Hughes movie whenever I'm forced to wear one. I might as well tie a cardigan around my shoulders and laugh at all the poor people...

View attachment 1659616

I told myself that I would stop wearing clothing with logos or labels when I turned 40 but I still haven't gotten rid of the few t-shirts I have left with images on them. More for convenience than anything else and I've got some super comfy ones I'm not ready to part with just yet because they've softened up enough plus the clothing I used to wear to work at my old job would get ruined with enough time so I never wanted to risk destroying a nice garment.

Something about having a logo/ phrase/ "vintage" look image splashed across the front, or some geek t-shirt with an image of Han Solo just feels sad to me at this age and the need to broadcast my entertainment preferences on my shirts left me by my early 30's. I'm not faulting anyone who enjoys wearing them, as I said I have a few left, but I need to retire those sooner rather than later.

I would like to dress better than I currently have most of my adult life. Being able to make my own custom stuff is still the goal as I can establish my own style. I'm more keen now to dress more age appropriate and well at that.
I am the opposite life. I never wore printed t's past 10 years old. I bought all my own clothes and rocked the 80s. I very recently started wearing T's but for an unusual reason. I don't trust my family's taste in clothes so I ask them to get me funny T's. That way my stylish clothes are all my taste.

Preach brethren! Quality textiles cost a LOT. Just the costumes I make alone cost a fortune to produce and yes, even something as simple as a pair of pants uses up more fabric than people realize if the pants are made correctly.

I've never felt comfortable or ever looked good wearing current trending clothes and always felt more at ease in classic style clothes that are timeless. The type of clothing that never seems to go out of style is where I don't mind dressing a bit nicer.

PoopaPapaPalps - Man, you dress like I do: lots of military surplus, particularly WWII wool trousers and combat shirts. I've got a closet full of them. They go great with brown leather jackets. I have 2 pairs of boots: brown paratroopers (no zippers), and a pair of rough-outs. Brown monochrome Chuck Taylor hightops for the summer, paired with either button-fly khakis or herringbone twill utility trousers (the WWII pants with the big pockets on the hips). Everything I own is cotton, wool, or leather. No jewelry, not even a watch. No printed shirts (I have some, but they're for lounging around the house. I always wear a button-up shirt if I'm going anywhere). No bright colors, earthtones only.

joberg This is a great idea for a thread! Thanks for posting it.

I too would like most of my clothes to be made of natural fibers where I can and I'm the same with my costumes as well. They breathe better, wear better if the quality of the textile is good, and just tend to drape better too. I'd love to experiment with bias cut clothing too as it forms nicely to the body without requiring standard stretch type fabrics.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back