The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Re: The PEPAKURA question thread - READ FIRST POST before posting!

Hey all, Gotta question here and hope you can help please?.

Having watched a few youtube vids and read stuff on here I've done the whole Pepakura Iron Man helmet which didn't turn out right but never mind lol.

I've built the Green Ranger (Power Ranger Helmet) and have now tried to use some Jesmonite AC100 on the outside to strengthen and was going to work from ther but having mixed to the 2,5 to 1 ratio i.e 100 grams powder to 40 grams liquid I find it to be quite gritty like poly filler and cures really quickly!!!!...I know I could use less catalist to slow cureing time but just wanted to know what you guys think?

Is this sort of thing normal as I was hoping for a smooth coat in one go like fiberglass resin lol.

I do have the fiberglass tissue so had considered strengthening the inside with 1 coat of Jesmonite then a coat of jesmonite with the fiberglass tissue but decided to try the outside first...grrrrrrr.

Total novice learning from my own mistakes lol.

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I've just picked up some Jesmonite and was wondering about using it with relatively thin foam (I'm too lazy for card stock). Would it still retain strength with the matting inside and coated outside, or would it require somehow doing the matting on the outside (& then chiseling out the details) to make sure it wouldn't crack due to the flex of the thickness of the foam (i.e. if you "squish" it between your fingers)?

INSTALL PEPAKURA ON MAC

1. Make sure you have bought and downloaded Pepakura Viewer or Designer depending on what you exactly need and have the .EXE.

2. Go to http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php download and install the program from the DMG.

3. Launch Wineskin Winery. From here we'll need to grab a New Engine. Make sure you use 1.5.14 (do not select the AMDspeedhack) or else you'll never be able to select a default exe and have to go through the "install process" every time. From here highlight the 1.5.14 engine by clicking once and hit "Create New Blank Wrapper". Once you do this you'll name your app (call it Pepakura or whatever you'd like) the first time you'll receive notifications to install Wine Mono and Wine Gecko, go ahead and do this. Once it's finished you'll get the option to "View your wrapper in Finder" do this and just move it to your desktop.

4. Double click on the wrapper/app we created and click "Install Software", from here navigate to your pepakura installer.exe file and select it. From there you will install it like a normal Windows program. Deselect "Create Shortcut on Desktop" as it's useless in this case, if you forget it'll simply just create a .INK file you can delete later from your desktop.

5. You will receive an invalid error, don't worry about it just hit okay and Pepakura will launch, you will receive this error each time but don't be alarmed. Wineskin may be working in the background at this point, let it complete. At this point quit out of the Pepakura app you just created (CMD+Q). You should receive a notification that you need to select a default .exe. Make sure you select pepakura3.exe from the list. You can now relaunch Pepakura easily each time and enter your key code to unlock the full version, you will only have to enter your code once on the next launch.

6. You can now move your Pepakura application to your applications folder. The default icon is rather ugly, however you can change it. Right Click on your application and select "Get Info", if you click the icon it displays at the very top left hand corner, it'll highlight it with a blue outline. At this point you can save this to your desktop (it's a transparent PNG) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2050866/Pepakura_Icon.png open it with preview, hit CMD+A (Select All), CMD+C (Copy), go to the "Get Info" window with the selected icon and hit CMD+V (Paste). It will now make this your icon. (You can do this with any icon you want for that matter, my hard drives are a bunch of avenger symbols.)

As far as I can tell all functionality is here and you can print as well without a problem.

INSTALL PEPAKURA ON MAC

Hi, I have the Pepakura exe and I downloaded Wine. I opened it and selected 1.5.14, but "Create New Blank Wrapper" is grayed out. The 1.5.14 engine is already highlighted, and I can't deselect or select it.
Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 10.04.23 AM.png

EDIT:

I figured it out, you have to hit the Update button.

Last edited:
Hi, I have the Pepakura exe and I downloaded Wine. I opened it and selected 1.5.14, but "Create New Blank Wrapper" is grayed out. The 1.5.14 engine is already highlighted, and I can't deselect or select it.
View attachment 542923

Maybe you can find another download of wine to try? Sounds like it could be the software version, but I'm just guessing. Also saw this, don't know if it helps:

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=3128

Question about foam unfolding: (My own model)

On unfolds like JFcustom's IM helmet, there are very few folds.

faceplatepdo.jpg

I can't get mine that clean, there are a lot more cuts:

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 2.25.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-19 at 2.30.42 PM.png

If I just hide those lines and print in and cut it out like below, some subtle curves will be lost, is that unavoidable?
Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 2.35.59 PM.png
laellee , pretty sure you have some experience unfolding, what do you think?

Attachments

• faceplatepdo.jpg
    faceplatepdo.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,981
  • faceplatepdo.jpg
    faceplatepdo.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 151
  • faceplatepdo.jpg
    faceplatepdo.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 111
  • faceplatepdo.jpg
    faceplatepdo.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 133
  • faceplatepdo.jpg
    faceplatepdo.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
Quick instructions:

1) If this was originally a paper unfold, select undo unfold and make sure both boxes are unchecked, and select OK. Then select 3d menu>reset edge properties. Now select unfold again. This eliminates all of the settings for the paper unfold and gives you a fresh start.

2) After the model's been unfolded, hit ctl-e for the set edge color menu. Adjust the slider in the lower right down to 160 degrees. That will ignore all minor folds that can be ignore for a foam build.

3) 2d menu>join adjacent edges, just set this to .75 and hit OK. That will join up all of the gaps you would want in a paper unfold, but can be ignored in foam (it'll stretch the gaps)

4) Now unfold manually using join/disjoin and such to get the unfold the way you want it. You will occasionally want to repeat step 3 to make sure the adjacent edges you are creating as you unfold disappear if they are close enough together.

Before I start unfolding, I turn off show flaps and show edge ID if either one is on. You don't want the flaps anyways, and the edge ID function can slow your processor down if you zoom in on parts. I do turn the edge ID back on before printing though.

Re: Immortan Joe costume from Mad Max, Fury Road

I dont mean to impose but i have a question and cant seem to find the right thread. I found the download link for pepakura files for a star lord helmet from 4shared. But when i go to the page it just trys to give me a lot of extra software downloads. Anyone know where i can find the actual files? Thanks.

I dont mean to impose but i have a question and cant seem to find the right thread. I found the download link for pepakura files for a star lord helmet from 4shared. But when i go to the page it just trys to give me a lot of extra software downloads. Anyone know where i can find the actual files? Thanks.

There's a starlord .pdo for foam in the first post of this link: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=148889

There are also several versions here: http://dali-lomo.blogspot.com/2014/08/guardians-of-galaxy-star-lord-mask-diy.html

Hey guys, I'm having a print problem with robo3687's Iron Man file. If I print Bitmap I only get the tab numbers, no lines. I tried setting the linewight to 10 with 0% transparency, no luck. If I try to print Vector, the page is solid black. Happens with designer and with viewer. Should I print to PDF, then print the PDFs out? That's the only thing I haven't tried. Thanks, Aosen

You are only getting the numbers beacause you probably have the free version of Pepakura Designer and Viewer, once you purchased the program, you will be able to print well. Trust me, it happened to me when I didn't know there was a pay version.

Look at the image below. It's legit, unfortunately you just have to find the correct download button which is annoying.

4Shared_Download.jpg

Hi, new here, just actually wanted to register to share some information with the community.
If you are having problems with lines and textures not being printed properly using Pepakura Designer OR Viewer in conjunction with PDFCreator to create a PDF, then you should instead print the file using Windows XPS Document Writer (it's a printer driver similar to PDFCreator, and almost every windows machine has it).

If you want to have a PDF file instead of a XPS file, then you can actually go into the XPS viewer and print the XPS to PDFCreator and it will create the PDF document with no problems with the lines or textures. Tadah, the more you know.

I was having problems with PDFCreator and pepakura and could not find this solution, but stumbled upon it myself, so I thought I might as well share it.

Hi, new here, just actually wanted to register to share some information with the community.
If you are having problems with lines and textures not being printed properly using Pepakura Designer OR Viewer in conjunction with PDFCreator to create a PDF, then you should instead print the file using Windows XPS Document Writer (it's a printer driver similar to PDFCreator, and almost every windows machine has it).

If you want to have a PDF file instead of a XPS file, then you can actually go into the XPS viewer and print the XPS to PDFCreator and it will create the PDF document with no problems with the lines or textures. Tadah, the more you know.

I was having problems with PDFCreator and pepakura and could not find this solution, but stumbled upon it myself, so I thought I might as well share it.

Beat me to it, thanks for sharing. (and welcome to the RPF!)

Hey everyone! I know this has probably been asked before at some point, but I've spent hours looking and haven't found anything about it.

I've been trying to build a pepakura Iron Man MK 42 helmet, and the file I got is super detailed (It's the one by gimpee I believe - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=167044). When it came to assembling the paper model, it just became a mess because of how intricate it was. I've looked for other models of it and they're all fairly detailed. Many of the tabs generated in the 2D printouts are far too big or far too small to glue to the rest of the model very well. I've been using Aleene's tacky glue to assemble it.

My question is how do I go about making such a complex model without it getting really messy and unsymmetrical? Did I just choose a bad model to attempt for my first time?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie-ness. We all have to start from somewhere right? :)

Last edited:
Hi, I'm trying to put together a Deathstroke cowl, and its going OK so far. However, I'm having two issues. First, when I convert the file to PDF, it loses the guide numbers when it gets printed. How do I prevent this? Second,I'm using a knife plotter to avoid doing all these cuts by hand, is there a less labor-intensive way than converting the PDF to an SVG file, and then rearranging the parts to fit in the plotter?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm trying to put together a Deathstroke cowl, and its going OK so far. However, I'm having two issues. First, when I convert the file to PDF, it loses the guide numbers when it gets printed. How do I prevent this? Second,I'm using a knife plotter to avoid doing all these cuts by hand, is there a less labor-intensive way than converting the PDF to an SVG file, and then rearranging the parts to fit in the plotter?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

This is a tough one to answer, but I'll give it a shot....

First, on your PDF conversion, how are you converting? You can preview in Pepakura, and make sure numbers show there (assuming they are turned on in the 2d option menu of course)... Also (and once again hopefully you know this), there is an export to pdf option now on Pepakura. Just my guess on this, but if it shows up on print preview in Pepakura, it should convert with everything else when it goes to PDF (no matter how it is converted).

As to the second one, I have a silhouette, but I always cut my stuff by hand. There are a few threads on here that discuss how people have fought through making files cut on plotters correctly, typically on silhouettes and open-sourced crickts. I would assume your conversion problem would come down to your line definition, but once again just guessing. I'd check here and on forums, A lot of people I'm sure have run converted PDFs to plot. Good luck.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back