The Mandalorian (TV series)

Considering my disappointment with Season 2 and seeing where it's headed I'm out. I was barely on board to begin with but by the Season 1 finale I was starting to feel slightly optimistic that we were going to really delve into new territory, moving beyond known scenarios and faces to further develop these new characters who I was starting to like. But then Season 2 came and other than the few standout episodes, which to their credit are easily the best Star Wars content I've seen since 1983, I just can't continue watching the show in the hopes of feeding on scraps. Seriously it's really frustrating that after literally decades of content that they can't venture outside what we already know so well. Which is why I just laugh at the notion of this universe being so vast when all the content has mostly stuck to the same.

I'm glad people enjoy it and again I'll reiterate that for the most part I think they've done well to deliver what most fans want in their Star Wars content. I do really appreciate the sincerity behind this show's creation and the commitment to entertain, not alienate fans. Something that feels truly refreshing after the hack job of the Sequels. I'm happy to move on though to other areas and I'm determined to keep working on my Star Wars costumes and props.

Considering my disappointment with Season 2 and seeing where it's headed I'm out. I was barely on board to begin with but by the Season 1 finale I was starting to feel slightly optimistic that we were going to really delve into new territory, moving beyond known scenarios and faces to further develop these new characters who I was starting to like. But then Season 2 came and other than the few standout episodes, which to their credit are easily the best Star Wars content I've seen since 1983, I just can't continue watching the show in the hopes of feeding on scraps. Seriously it's really frustrating that after literally decades of content that they can't venture outside what we already know so well. Which is why I just laugh at the notion of this universe being so vast when all the content has mostly stuck to the same.

I'm glad people enjoy it and again I'll reiterate that for the most part I think they've done well to deliver what most fans want in their Star Wars content. I do really appreciate the sincerity behind this show's creation and the commitment to entertain, not alienate fans. Something that feels truly refreshing after the hack job of the Sequels. I'm happy to move on though to other areas and I'm determined to keep working on my Star Wars costumes and props.
Yeah, I mean, what got me on board was the dynamic between baby Yoda and Mando. Like you’ve mentioned before, Mando on his own isn’t the most interesting character, which is why the better episodes of the whole show are the ones where he’s forced to consider his way of doing things and if it’s really right. Taking away baby Yoda wasn’t really the right move in my opinion, although I do think the dynamic should have progressed or changed somewhat so it wasn’t just the same stuff over and over. A lot of the acting got somewhat worse in S2 for me as well—most of Gideon’s stuff (well, all of the imperials minus the Inglorious Basterds scene, really) felt kinda hammy to me, and Pedro Pascal felt like he was phoning it in about 30%-50% of the time. If the show’s just going to double down on the “real” story they want to tell which they’ve told over the course of two other shows already about the rightful rule of Mandalore and stuff like that, I’m definitely out. I’ll give the Andor show a shot, I’ll wait for a trailer of the Kenobi show to see what’s happening there, but “The Book of Boba Fett” and Mandalorian S3 don’t hold my interest.

Reading this discussion makes it clear that I need to watch both seasons again... :lol:

I like most of what they’ve done so far, though I also think that the show has been at its best when it’s treading new ground. Weird episode about frogs and space spiders? Yes, please. Revisiting Tatooine for the fifth time? Nah.

I have hopes that as things go on, the show will do more new things, and will feel less constrained by “needing” to have a sort of steady drip of familiarity, but who knows.

Taking the show in new directions and leaving out familiar characters would definitely help it immensely. Wasn't a huge fan of Luker Skywalker's appearance and most attempts at fan service.

An issue for me has been Din always having his helmet on (I understand the reasoning) and not being able to see his facial expressions. It takes extremely talented voice/body actors to pull that of effectively. If Pascal had more opportunity to show his range (hopefully he has more than we've seen) without the helmet and there was more of a deep dive into his character, maybe he would be a bit more interesting.

Posted this, and a few more in the funny/cool pictures thread, but felt its deserving to be here as well, as not everyone might see that thread.
Yeah, so it snowed like crazy here, which is not very normal, so had to put good use to all that snow.
20210213_160024.jpg

Without some type of connective tissue tying it back to the legacy story, it just becomes another space story in a "used future" universe that looks like it could be the same universe in which the legacy movies occurred. That's just not enough commonality/overlap to pull the majority of people in so that they regard this as actually being part of the "Star Wars" story, i.e., the struggle between a galactic empire and a rebellion (and later republic) of those not wanting to bow to its will.

Without some type of connective tissue tying it back to the legacy story, it just becomes another space story in a "used future" universe that looks like it could be the same universe in which the legacy movies occurred. That's just not enough commonality/overlap to pull the majority of people in so that they regard this as actually being part of the "Star Wars" story, i.e., the struggle between a galactic empire and a rebellion (and later republic) of those not wanting to bow to its will.

I actually disagree here. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I think that at this point Star Wars is enough of a milieu on its own that you don't have to tie every story back to the core stories (i.e., the OT). There's a whole universe happening out there while those stories are occurring. Moreover, stories can be defined just as much by how they don't interact with the central conflicts as how they do interact with them.

What's remarkable about the underworld-style stories is that they only kinda sorta brush up against the Empire simply by virtue of it being the law enforcement equivalent in most cases (although you could always do something like the Corporate Sector Authority, I guess). But otherwise, you don't have to connect that to the galactic civil war. It could eventually affect it, but if you're dealing with a bunch of backwater outer rim planets where the Rebels aren't, then there's no reason to have the war touch the story.

Or you make the war a fact of life that lurks in the background, but not the central aspect of the characters' immediate lives. That can work, too.

I think you need enough that's familiar to people so that they visually recognize it as "Star Wars," but beyond that, I think the setting itself is strong enough in its distinctiveness that you can tell plenty of stories that don't feature the war or Jedi or whathaveyou.

The thing is as much as I agree with you Solo4114 it will never happen. There was the slightest chance with season 1. Then they went right back to it and started in with the overt tie ins the following season. After 44 years I think it's apparent Star Wars will never be fresh again because the people in charge have such a limited vision of it as a story telling vehicle because they confuse it's trappings with substance. I would be happy to be proven wrong but history has proven otherwise time and time again.

Star Wars was best when it was three really simple space adventure movies and not some behemoth. I'm not at all interested in a whole season of Clone Wars 3.0 with the reclaiming of Mandalore and the evolution of Game of Thrones in space. I'm not at all interested in Boba Fett consolidating power on Tattooine and rebuilding Jabba's former crime syndicate. I'm not at all interested in seeing Grogu show up later with a Itty bitty lightsaber no matter how adorable. I just don't care about any of it. It's practically lost all meaning and become just another generic sci-fi show.

Star Wars is no longer special. It's just not.

Last edited:
I think you need enough that's familiar to people so that they visually recognize it as "Star Wars," but beyond that, I think the setting itself is strong enough in its distinctiveness that you can tell plenty of stories that don't feature the war or Jedi or whathaveyou.
Yep, this is the key I think. Star Wars usually has a pretty easily identifiable visual language, and this is what could tie any new movies or shows to what’s come before.

Honestly, I’ve never thought that the original films were wildly original in their storytelling- there was some pretty liberal borrowing by Lucas from sources ranging from Kurosawa to Joseph Campbell. The monomyth is not exactly a new concept. But I think it’s always possible that we could see something unexpected and fresh within the SW universe. Most of the biggest successes in that respect have been books/comics, and one video game that I can think of, but at some point I expect that the shows and films will begin to take more story “risks.”

The thing is as much as I agree with you Solo4114 it will never happen. There was the slightest chance with season 1. Then they went right back to it and started in with the overt tie ins the following season. After 44 years I think it's apparent Star Wars will never be fresh again because the people in charge have such a limited vision of it as a story telling vehicle because they confuse it's trappings with substance. I would be happy to be proven wrong but history has proven otherwise time and time again.

Star Wars was best when it was three really simple space adventure movies and not some behemoth. I'm not at all interested in a whole season of Clone Wars 3.0 with the reclaiming of Mandalore and the evolution of Game of Thrones in space. I'm not at all interested in Boba Fett consolidating power on Tattooine and rebuilding Jabba's former crime syndicate. I'm not at all interested in seeing Grogu show up later with a Itty bitty lightsaber no matter how adorable. I just don't care about any of it. It's practically lost all meaning and become just another generic sci-fi show.

Star Wars is no longer special. It's just not.

See I sorta want everything you don’t. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back