The Mandalorian (TV series)

I do giggle when I think about the fact that a roughly 1/2 hour episode brought me more joy and engagement than the entire Sequel Trilogy.
I was about to post the exact same thing. Almost word for word.

Turns out a few million thrown at a good SW episode is better than hundreds of millions thrown at a bad trilogy of movies. It's amazing, but there it is.

Now I'm just wondering what could have been had Favreau been in charge of the ST. Ah well.

I loved this episode other than the redesigned Darktroopers. They look like they based them on a mobile game called Star Wars Commander rather than the cool version we've always seen. It just made me and my nephew go "Why?!?!?!". Also they could have made the Imperial mortar look and work more scifi because that seemed out of place.
I thought that the Darktroopers looked fine, I'm sure that they've looked different in nearly every appearance they've made but with certain common features. Plus, I've read that these were supposed to be Phase 1 Darktroopers, so it's possible for their appearance to change as the show goes on.

As far as the mortar goes, I thought that it was fine too, just a bit odd that it was being operated by just one Stormtrooper since mortars are normally operated by at least two men, one to aim it, and the other to drop the round in the tube. I honestly don't think that there's a whole lot you can to dress up a mortar since a mortar is really a very simple weapon, it's basically a tube with a pin at the bottom. What they could have done is maybe dress the mortar shells up a tad since that's the more complicated part of the mortar and if anything could be added to a mortar it would be in the round and not the mortar itself.

As I've said earlier in the discussion I want them to stay away from as much of the OT, PT, ST, Clone Wars, Rebels, etc as possible. I'm interested in the new characters the Mandalorian created. If they are allowed to develop further I might one day love them. If this show has any real legs to stand on then it will take the chance and rely on new material without having to constantly rely on the old.

I'm not mocking you for loving Clone Wars or Rebels. I think you're conflating my frustration with those characters appearance as some sort of personal attack which its not. I've been very consistent in my view of the show so it's not like I'm saying anything I haven't been saying for the last few months.

I pretty much knew that's what this show would devolve into and why I'm glad I've stayed away from it. I've got friends that watch and peak into threads to see what is going on tyring to be optimistic since everyone kept saying "Star wars was back" but it's why I couldn't get into those kids cartoons. Oh look, captured a wookie.. and what do you know.. CHEWBACCA!!! but hey, it's a kids show so I could cut that some slack but so tired of the fan service 5 degrees of Luke and Company crap. Doesn't matter what era, doesn't matter if they're 15 or 80.. they're constantly running into each other or hanging out or fighting each other on like the same 3 planets. Just so unintersting and lazy.

There was something incredibly satisfying about seeing Stormtrooper armor shatter like that.
Again, really fun episode. Two predictions.
First, I think we're in for a big team up episode which should be a lot of fun.
Secondly, I think by the end of this season we get a stinger showing who might have heard Grogu in the force.
This show makes me feel like a kid again and I love it.

Well, I now can dress as Fett again. Haven't doned the Armor since Ep 2 premier. [emoji16]
20171109_215725.jpg

Do you have a recommended one?

I would skip most of Clone Wars...it's aggressively boring for the most part, save for season 5 is pretty solid. That's where the Death Watch stuff is and Ahsoka has a good arc at the end. Season 6 was decent too, but you don't really need to watch it if all you care about is info for Mando. I also just don't enjoy the prequel aesthetic so there's not much to like about the majority of the series for me.

I'd watch all of Rebels. Since it takes place between RotS and ANH it feels more OT. The first season is kind of eh as it finds its footing, but by midway through 2 I think they've found it. The season 2 finale is great, and then Thrawn comes in during season 3 and he's amazing. Lars Mikkelsen does a fantastic job. Twin Suns in season 3 and Jedi Night in season 4 I think are some of the best bits of Star Wars storytelling ever.

Last edited:
I pretty much knew that's what this show would devolve into and why I'm glad I've stayed away from it. I've got friends that watch and peak into threads to see what is going on tyring to be optimistic since everyone kept saying "Star wars was back" but it's why I couldn't get into those kids cartoons. Oh look, captured a wookie.. and what do you know.. CHEWBACCA!!! but hey, it's a kids show so I could cut that some slack but so tired of the fan service 5 degrees of Luke and Company crap. Doesn't matter what era, doesn't matter if they're 15 or 80.. they're constantly running into each other or hanging out or fighting each other on like the same 3 planets. Just so unintersting and lazy.

You sound like a real fun guy.

I only started watching the Mandalorian to get my friends at work to stop hounding me about it, which tells you right off the bat my personal interest in it was low to begin with. Even then I've been fortunate to be able to watch it for free, but had that not been the case I wouldn't have gone out of my way to subscribe. I'm enjoying it on a casual level and I'm not super invested in it. I don't subscribe to the claims that "Star Wars is back" and "Filoni and Favreau saved Star Wars." No amount of good content can "redeem" bad content. Either a story works or it doesn't. It's really that simple.

Making a new series will never erase the mistakes from a previous story within the franchise, especially if the stories are totally unrelated both in chronology and tone. At best all it could do is reignite interest in the franchise, but that's different from "saving" it. So this show, while entertaining, will never make up for the ST or the prequels. Nothing can. You have to judge each on it's own merits and accept them as they are, warts and all. Which is why I'm against this notion of remaking any of them. Once art is released into the world, there is little anyone can do to change it's perception. George Lucas never learned this lesson and his constant revisionism has not only strained his relationship with his fans but has sullied his integrity as a filmmaker. From a historical perspective, the changes only erode the chance for people to change their perspective over time because the original work was tampered with.

I enjoy the show but it's not truly great and likely never will be and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's competently made and it's clear that those involved respect the source material enough to put thought into the writing so I can appreciate it for those aspects. I'm not interested in anyone trying to match the magic of the OT because it's literally impossible, but I also don't want those films tampered with. Thank God for 4k77! What I am interested in is seeing movies and television with fresh stories, engaging characters and hopefully new content that perhaps drew inspiration from Star Wars but isn't a carbon copy of it. If some of that content happens to be set in a galaxy, far, far away, great, but I'm not the type of fan that needs the story to go on forever.

The season 2 finale is great, and then Thrawn comes in during season 3 and he's amazing. Lars Mikkelsen does a fantastic job.

For me Thrawn only exists in the Timothy Zahn novels. Having him adapted to fit into the new canon timeline just doesn't do it for me. The Heir to the Empire trilogy is so ingrained in my memory that I can't picture Thrawn without Pellaeon, Noghri, Mara Jade, Talon Karde, Joruss C'baoth, etc. It would be a different matter entirely if they made adaptations of the trilogy in another medium like a tv show or movie. That story, like the films, is a product of it's time to the point where I'm not sure transposing characters out of it could work as well as they did in the original books. To me it's just another form of revisionist history that's better left alone.

Fett tracks Din all over the place and catches up on Tython, in his own words, to get his armor back.

So, uh, if he knew that guy on tatooine had it, and he was there for apparently good while - seeing as he is such a baddass, why didn't he take it from that guy back on tat?

Fett tracks Din all over the place and catches up on Tython, in his own words, to get his armor back.

So, uh, if he knew that guy on tatooine had it, and he was there for apparently good while - seeing as he is such a baddass, why didn't he take it from that guy back on tat?
Perhaps he'd planned to... but when Din showed up i expect that got REAL interesting for Boba. Had he even encountered another Mandalorian in his travels? I'm sure the thought of a possible comrade was too irresistible for him to just say F*ck it and nab the armour from Vanth.

Okay get out the torches. :p

First-MORE GINA. WTF??? She and Mando need to hook up and she needs to be in it more.

I love Rosario Dawson but honestly, even though I love the episode I wanted to watch it a second time before I decided. She really brings nothing to the role. I wish the voice actress had done it.

As a 49 year old white male I need to first state this:

I really like Wesley Snipes, Cuba Gooding Jr., Chadwick Boseman (Would have been a great Bond).

I love Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Idris Elba (Would still be a great bond)

Okay I also half a half German, half Colombian wife thus my kids are part Colombian.

There I have established I am not a racist.

This is a good time to mention, bite me. I don't give a rip what anyone thinks. I am just having fun pointing out the silliness of our society. I felt the need to point out how many black actors I like before I criticize one.

Dark Forces have done their job well.

Anyway I can stand the actor who plays Moff Gideon, Giancarlo Esposito. Technically he is half African American half Italian. This is how silly we are.

Anyway obviously it has nothing to do with his race. I just think he brings nothing to this role. I have seen him in lots of stuff and never have had strong feeling one way or another. Regardless he sucks in this.

If this is supposed to be the new Vader once again they failed.

He does not look cool or intimidating.

He acted at the end of this episode like a bully who was so weak he waited until his victim was exhausted and defenseless before he came in to harass him.

His outfit is silly.

He is about as impressive as dry toast.

Star Wars can't seem to get bad guys right which is funny as they had two of the greatest models in the OT.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back