The Mandalorian (TV series)

Okay get out the torches. [emoji14]

First-MORE GINA. WTF??? She and Mando need to hook up and she needs to be in it more.

I love Rosario Dawson but honestly, even though I love the episode I wanted to watch it a second time before I decided. She really brings nothing to the role. I wish the voice actress had done it.

As a 49 year old white male I need to first state this:

I really like Wesley Snipes, Cuba Gooding Jr., Chadwick Boseman (Would have been a great Bond).

I love Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Idris Elba (Would still be a great bond)

Okay I also half a half German, half Colombian wife thus my kids are part Colombian.

There I have established I am not a racist.

Anyway obviously it has nothing to do with his race. .

You don't need to establish your not racist....move on

If Cobb Vanth could track down the remains of Anakin's podracer and build a speeder out of them (which was a pretty stupid easter egg if you ask me) after 40 ish years I can buy Mando being able to track down his own armor.

Easter eggs work best when fit in context to what is happening in the scene. While I appreciated the acknowledgement of the speeder parts it just felt like Boba's armor alone was enough in that episode. Did we really need to revisit a totally disconnected event in the form of Anakin winning a pod race? That just screamed fan service in the worst way and pulled me out of the story in that moment because there was enough going on visually to remind us of the setting. The same with revisiting Tatooinne so often in Star Wars in general. As I said before I love the planet as well as the aesthetic but let's go elsewhere shall we?

As far as Fett's armor, yeah it was cool in a way to see him don it, though as I said it felt a lot like a fan film, and it made sense that it was his objective to get it back, but damn it was cool to see how bad ass he was before he put it on again. Those fights were some of the best action the show has offered yet and actually made me think of Fett as lethal. As cool as he looked in the OT I always thought of him more as a mystery man whose intrigue came from his look more than from his use in the story. It's the same feeling I got watching the Jango and Obi-Wan fight in AOTC which was such a great action sequence because they were relying on their combat skills for the majority of it. The second Fett put on his old gear, it was cool, but achievable.

I really enjoyed Temuera's pronunciation of Tatooine... Last time I heard him say it must have been 15 years ago playing Battlefront 2.

Thinking about it, Boba and Din must actually be very close to the same age (both 10ish in the Clone Wars). Boba has drawn the short straw in the looks department - I guess spending time in the belly of the almighty Sarlacc ages you 20 years.

Morrison was born in 1960, so Boba should be almost the exact same age as when he played Jango in AotC (41 in 2001 when they filmed AOTC, while Boba was "born"(?) 32 years before ANH and the Mandalorian is set 9 years after).

Right, I know I'm sticking my neck out here and probably will be called the Grinch...
This episode was my least favourite so far. 70% of it was basically an action scene that had zero tension because Stormtroopers are laughable chumps. I know I know, they can't hit anything and teddybears massacred them, but then what am I to take out of this action scene? Heroes are in the middle of the field, nobody gets hit, they just take the troopers out like nothing. It felt like a video game levle, the thing to protect is sitting in the middle, while low level trashmob enemies spawn and OP characters need to hold the fort. I was kind of imagining a countdown timer on the top of the screen. I guess it was to show HOW AESOME BORBA FETTE IS DUUUDE, but it's not that awesome when he's dispatching useless enemies. It's like the prequels, oh my god, battle droids and then jedi just walk through them, wow, that was actiony...
I liked everything in this episode except for the action scene. Beginning was neat, ending finally stirred up the stillwater that was just about to go stale, so fine, interested in where it goes, I didn't particularly mind Boba Fett either even though I have zero attachment or particular fandom towards him. I just don't think the action scene was particularly well done and that hurts the episode if the majority is the action scene.
Silver lining, probably gonna be a better one next week.

That's fair. I think I liked the flair with which Fett mowed through them more than the fact that he won the fight.

Now, to lop the head off the grinch :p

I still feel like a lot of the "storm trooper's suck" adage has to be attributed to the fact that we really only see them fight the heroes. Every other story we hear about but don't see, Stormies seem to do just fine. (Exibt A, the butchered Mando culvert). Even in the movies, everyone (including the heroes) talk about stormies like they are bad freaking news. The only time I can think of that they aren't, is the "I wasn't a storm trooper wise ass" exchange.

Add in that the things they would need to do to make it seem more like a close fight are just more difficult for a fairly quick filming show like mandalorian. Having the characters show injury and damage as they go through a fight is just a filming nightmare if it's not needed.

Also, the sniper character was clearly afraid of them at some points, and it seemed like the main strength and reason for her staying above ground was that she was able to get the first shot off, AND make that shot count. She's supposed to be the ultra marksman, carrying a terrifying weapon. Anyone less able than her, that misses some of those "first hits" when a stormie appears, would have taken a dirt nap.

I'd also say to reference a lot of the movies and such that star wars is heavily based on; Samurai and westerns. The golden age for those movies just doesn't have the main characters even getting hit. In both settings, the samurai or the gunslinger regularly comes across groups of terrible, merciless, unstoppable men. those men have taken over towns, are terrorizing entire regions, have turned away great forces of good soldiers; but they all end up as coffin stuffers when compared to the samurai or the gunslinger.

You only see the hero get beat to hell at the end of an arc, when it's "time for them to be vulnerable and afraid"
-End of mando season one
-End of empire
-End of ROTJ
-End of Attack of the clones
-End of 7 Samurai
-End of Yojimbo/Fist full of dollars
-On and on

That's what we're watching. That is what star wars is. It is a reskinning of samurai films and westerns (which in themselves are reskinning of samurai films). That is the logic and story telling we are being offered. We will only see what we think "normal" events in a fight would be, if both sides have goons to fight each other
-Clone wars, when they can kill clone troopers by the dozen.
-Rogue one, when we know ahead of time that all the rebels on scariff are doomed.
-Any space battle between fleets where there are ample non heroes to chuck into the grinder.
-Tantiv IV, ROFLSTOMP of the rebel security forces
-Echo base

Obi-wan straight up says to Luke in the very first star wars movie ever, that he can tell storm troopers were here because of how damn well they shot.
It is specifically stated that they let the gang escape off of the death star on purpose. Moff Freaking Tarkin was even aware of it. And Leia knew how utterly hopeless that escape was, and that they were released on purpose because she had been watching the empire crack skulls using storm troopers for the whole rebellion. She even got to witness it first hand a day or so earlier.

Sorry, I just don't get how every other movie franchise or story gets a pass on the idea that heroes kick ass, but star wars storm troopers "suck" because the heroes haven't been unceremoniously gunned down in the first 10 minutes of every movie or tv episode.

Last edited:
It's the same feeling I got watching the Jango and Obi-Wan fight in AOTC which was such a great action sequence because they were relying on their combat skills for the majority of it.
I seriously think that might be the best scene in all the prequels because it’s not just twirling and jumping with a lightsaber for no reason, but a pretty interesting showdown where Obi-Wan is forced to think outside the box in order to fight Fett. It doesn’t look like a bad video game and it holds up as a decent action scene in a bloated trilogy of bad spectacle and worse scripts.

Sorry, I just don't get how every other movie franchise or story gets a pass on the idea that heroes kick ass, but star wars storm troopers "suck" because the heroes haven't been unceremoniously gunned down in the first 10 minutes of every movie or tv episode.
It’s different than the examples you’ve provided, because we’re not literally seeing the same exact group get their asses handed to them across all those films. Clint Eastwood was not fighting some singular military organization across all his films with better firepower, better armor, better strategy, better leadership, et cetera et cetera. It gets old because at this point all we’ve seen the stormtroopers be capable of is dying, and easily. As mentioned before, they work perfectly within the context of ANH and ESB. They let them escape the Death Star. They’re hardly present as ground forces in ESB. Only in ROTJ where George just had to tell his “technologically limited underdog” story did the narrative start to fall apart, and it’s been broken ever since.

It’s literally probably much safer in Star Wars to be wearing anything but stormtrooper armor. I get it that people make the excuse that “the armor is rated against civilian blasters”, because a fascistic government wouldn’t use the best stuff for their military to have absolute force, and clearly weaker “civilian” blasters don’t exist, and repeatedly I’ve seen stuff mention Han’s “illegally modified blaster” which makes it a lot more powerful, but any set of armor that breaks when a blunt object strikes it? Trash. It is not worth wearing if it splinters at the first sign of blunt force. That armor cannot serve any purpose. I agree that it looks cool and cinematic to see the little chunks of armor go spinning when the armorer or Fett strikes them, but it really makes the armor look so useless.

Fett wanted to stay under the radar and knew Vanth's villagers were there to protect the people, and would instantly take him out if he came for the armor. He's a seasoned bounty hunter, he has strategies and patience. He found Shand and needed to get recon on Din to see what he was up against to reclaim his armor. And then hearing about the Child's bounty, they moved in to cut their deal, I think it was a great move to side together against Gideon. And springing his old crew to create a super-band of everyone who has met Mando!? Holy crap. The next few episodes will be bonkers. Having the spear and finding the shift knob will certainly come in handy when they get to wherever they're finding the Kid. (Yeah, he has a name now, but its kinda meh tbh) I hope seeing Din and the shift knob give him the strength he needs to be more than a baby. And this is a guess, but maybe a force user is on the way to the kid and will be a surprise ally to Din's mudhorn crew when they least expect it!

On Stormtroopers being lousy shots.

This has gotten silly.

They did however hit Mando a lot. As I mentioned in an earlier post Mando needs to get wounded when he takes that many hits.

Indy always got the crap beat out of him which was half the fun.

It would be better if Mando lost big time at some point. So far he seems to be superhuman with the exception of the Mudhorn. That was awesome. He was done, toast, stick a fork in him. More of that, but not by Jawas. That was embarrassing.

In general our hero's need to get wounded, beaten up, lose sometimes, and we need some sacrificial Star Trek Red Shirts in here to be introduced, seem important, and then dead!

I always thought a Star Trek USS Enterprise series with a rotating cast, promotions, etc. would be cool. For the best crew in the world they are rarely promoted.

Kill off, transfer, promote, etc.

Unrelated and petty tangent. I didn’t care for the “flying with the windows down” line (paraphrasing) because it feels too Earth-like to me. Someone on the internet says Star Wars is full of Earth-like lines and it shouldn’t be a problem. Am I way off base here or did that line feel out of place to anyone else? I asked them if they would be okay with a character saying they “need to go to the grocery store” if Earth-like stuff is no big deal.

Unrelated and petty tangent. I didn’t care for the “flying with the windows down” line (paraphrasing) because it feels too Earth-like to me. Someone on the internet says Star Wars is full of Earth-like lines and it shouldn’t be a problem. Am I way off base here or did that line feel out of place to anyone else? I asked them if they would be okay with a character saying they “need to go to the grocery store” if Earth-like stuff is no big deal.

I noticed that one, and it seemed weird on the surface. WE the viewers are used to folks getting around in starships, or (cinema friendly) open air speeders.

But, the star wars universe is full of regular people that would use regular speeders, that would having some feature similar to retractable windows or rooves, for most of the same reason our cars have them.

Now, would it be something that mando would have heard enough for it to make it into his lexicon? I'd guess not. But here we are.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back