The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Being a lacquer based clear I'm sure it probably airs out much too quickly and doesn't form any sort of bond. Those lacquer paints are more suited for over other paints and plastics as the lacquer has a tendency to burn in to the previous coat. This happens as the chemicals dissolve whatever you are spraying over which obviously doesnt happen to aluminum. My suggestion if you want a clear is to use a two part epoxy clear. If you want something in a rattle can then look up 2k spray max clear.

Being a lacquer based clear I'm sure it probably airs out much too quickly and doesn't form any sort of bond. Those lacquer paints are more suited for over other paints and plastics as the lacquer has a tendency to burn in to the previous coat. This happens as the chemicals dissolve whatever you are spraying over which obviously doesnt happen to aluminum. My suggestion if you want a clear is to use a two part epoxy clear. If you want something in a rattle can then look up 2k spray max clear.

Very helpful. Thank you.

I'm just curious, has anyone's shield ever sustained significant damage? I had my paint applied and star attached recently, and the shield got bumped against a counter top. Huge dent along the star, and a scratch in the paint. It was a heartbreaker. I'll have to pry the star off, remove the JB Weld, repaint, and replace the star.

I have to think on occasion, people's shields get damaged just from transportation, or being at a con. How do you deal with this?

I'm just curious, has anyone's shield ever sustained significant damage? I had my paint applied and star attached recently, and the shield got bumped against a counter top. Huge dent along the star, and a scratch in the paint. It was a heartbreaker. I'll have to pry the star off, remove the JB Weld, repaint, and replace the star.

I have to think on occasion, people's shields get damaged just from transportation, or being at a con. How do you deal with this?

I was wondering the same thing as my King Arts shield has gotten damaged and i want to repaint it

The more I look at my sled shield, honestly, the more I'd like to repaint it and put some grooves in it, to make it more accurate.. but I have no clue how I'd carve the grooves.. Any thoughts?

Had the same thing happen to me years back. Star got partially pulled up at the corner. With a tear in my eye I stripped everything and started over. Looking back on it, I was better for it and half the fun is making the shield. I did have to make a new star though. Just in case I ever had to do it again, I started riveting my stars on rather than using JB weld. I know its a deviation in the look but it makes replacing and repair much easier.

It's that or go with "battle damage".

That's interesting. The corner got pulled up even with JB Weld, huh? Mine is taped on, and it doesn't sit flush with the shield. A corner snag is kind of my nightmare.

Well it was my first shield and paint job and I made the mistake of jb welding over the clear coat. Yeah, you kind of have to commit to JB welding the star to the bare metal of the shield to help ensure that corner snags won't happen.

shield 4.JPGshield 5.JPGshield sun 1.JPGshield sun 2.JPG

Dudes!!!
Did I eff up? Laid a few coats down Monday, & noticed the tape was a little rough on one edge. I fixed that up, then sprayed a few more coats today. Now it's pretty dark & patchy, & tough to see the spun effect unless it's right in sunlight ( last 2 pics). I do have to fix up some splatter marks anyways, but I just wanna make sure that this would look ok after the clearcoat & wetsanding is done.
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Hi all, i'm new to the prop making and the forum, and I figured upon completing my first project that i would chime in here with my results/experience.

I had always wanted to paint my own Cap shield and after diligently following this thread and working out a sound methodology i decided to pick up an ebay shield and make my own battle damaged stealth shield from The Winter Soldier. I figured this would make a good first project for me, although i'm loving some of the creations on here!

My final result:

DSC09717-4.JPG

and here are a few photos i took along the way. Thanks to Jax for the mustard idea! and now i can finally understand everyones issues with Metalcast paint! it's a stubborn one isn't it! warming the cans and starting your spray away from the shield seemed to be the best method, i only had a few 'stringys' land on the shield. As it was a battle damaged one it wasn't a big deal though.

IMG_3543.JPGIMG_3491.JPGIMG_3495.jpgIMG_3504.jpgIMG_3506.jpgIMG_3507.jpgIMG_3509.JPG

Thanks all for the information in this thread! looking forward to the next piece

Attachments

• IMG_3493.jpg
    IMG_3493.jpg
    876.5 KB · Views: 353
You seem to have had better luck with Metalcast than I have - I think I've painted/stripped mine 7 times now.

I've now painted my shield at least 6 times. The first several times were because of some random error... not being happy with something, or screwing something up (like using the wrong grit sandpaper).

This project has become the bane of my existence and a money pit.

Since it seemed like I might never be completely happy with the paint job, I decided to battle damage it. Threw some stripper in a few spots, then a black wash and and some more black paint were the damage was.

At first, I was pleasantly surprised at how well that turned out... so I sprayed on clear coat and thought I was going to finally be done with this.

But. now the entire shield has a white-ish haze that's covering it. At first, you could only see it from certain angles.... but, now it's clear and obvious. I've tried rubbing compound, polishing compound, waxing it... I even ordered some polishing attachments for the drill hoping that would do the job.

The drill/polishing compound seemed to fix some of this for a minute (even then, it wasn't spectacular), but within 5 minutes or so, it was hazed over again.

I'm at a loss here.

I have always had pretty good success using Dupli-Color Metal Cast Anodized colors for my metal (and plastic) shields. Pictured, is a metal shield I did.

View attachment 942538

View attachment 942534

View attachment 942535

View attachment 942539

Looks perfect man! Did you clear coat over the metalcast?
I have the Metal Hasbro 75th anniversary shield. But I am thinking if it would look much better with a satin clear coat on the red and blue. Since it is sooo glossy from the factory.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back