The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I would post here. Does anyone know what shaker can colour blue I could use for Cap's helmet? I bought one of Ali Express which is a decent design but the paint is sub-par and I would like to repaint

All clear coated and I like it. Not going to satin coat it. So its handles tomorrow then I better get out and do some avenging.

20160705_123141.jpg

th_20160705_123146.jpg

Hopefully phebert will approve.

Attachments

• th_20160705_123146.jpg
    th_20160705_123146.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160705_123141.jpg
    20160705_123141.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wanting to paint one and just satin the red part and not the silver part. i found a wax that will protect the finish called renaissance micro crystalline wax polish.
its available at amazon for about 12-15.00. you can also do the inside of the shield with it and it removes finger marks.

Hey everyone. I’ve checked out just about every page of this thread to research my options for getting the best Cap shield for my money. I was nervous about messing up the shield so I decided to buy one of the fully painted / assembled ones that Phebert offers on ebay. I thought I’d share my thoughts in case anyone else was thinking about it.

Shipping was fast and it came packed securely. First thing I noticed was the paint job on the shield. It was really even and vibrant. You still get the brushed effect but it’s not sever or ridgey. The tones are most comparable to the shield from Avengers 1 which I’m happy with. The JB Weld on the brackets had completely come off at some point before it arrived though. Not sure if it needed more time to cure before sending or what. It was pretty annoying but it gave me the chance to test out some mounting tape I’ve been reading about. I scraped / ground off the residual JB Weld and then loaded each bracket up with 3M Extreme Mounting Tape (the kind that says “holds 30 pounds”) as it seemed to be the strongest stuff Amazon had. It was a little pricey @ $20 for 1 single role but it’s 400 inches and the stuff will come in handy on future projects.

The tape seems to be working great for just holding the shield and displaying it. In case anyone was wondering. Thanks for all the info in this thread. It was very helpful and I could not be happier with my shield, paint came out better than mine would have.

Capshield3.JPG

Hey everyone. I’ve checked out just about every page of this thread to research my options for getting the best Cap shield for my money. I was nervous about messing up the shield so I decided to buy one of the fully painted / assembled ones that Phebert offers on ebay. I thought I’d share my thoughts in case anyone else was thinking about it.

Shipping was fast and it came packed securely. First thing I noticed was the paint job on the shield. It was really even and vibrant. You still get the brushed effect but it’s not sever or ridgey. The tones are most comparable to the shield from Avengers 1 which I’m happy with. The JB Weld on the brackets had completely come off at some point before it arrived though. Not sure if it needed more time to cure before sending or what. It was pretty annoying but it gave me the chance to test out some mounting tape I’ve been reading about. I scraped / ground off the residual JB Weld and then loaded each bracket up with 3M Extreme Mounting Tape (the kind that says “holds 30 pounds”) as it seemed to be the strongest stuff Amazon had. It was a little pricey @ $20 for 1 single role but it’s 400 inches and the stuff will come in handy on future projects.

The tape seems to be working great for just holding the shield and displaying it. In case anyone was wondering. Thanks for all the info in this thread. It was very helpful and I could not be happier with my shield, paint came out better than mine would have.

View attachment 644441

Dude that shield looks amazing, I am thinking on getting one from him also, I really like the plain silver version with the pointy center, I did not saw the painted one in his for sale items, looks great for distressing into a Civil War.

2016-08-01 19.10.03.jpg2016-08-01 19.10.14.jpg2016-08-01 19.10.20.jpg

And there we have it! Pictures from my first shield! It's certainly not perfect, but I like it and I'm proud of it as a first try into working with metals and stuff :3 Couldn't get my hands on duplicolor, so I just went with stuff I could find here in europe, I think it turned out okay. Would definitely love to try again, tho, around winter time when sleds are cheaper haha :D

Hi everyone, newbie here, first time making anything.

First, I've got to say this thread has some amazing work, I'm stupefied by how great all these builds look.

I'm currently working on Cap's shield but out of EVA foam, I don't have the $ nor the expertise for metal ones. For the size and shape I'm using Punished Prop's 30'' shield template.

For paint I bought Duplicolor Metalcast, ground primer, red and blue. By the way, I bought it at jbtoolsales.com, because they have it for $6.00 each plus $6.00 for FedEx shipping, much cheaper than Amazon, ~$12.00 each.

To seal the foam I'm thinking of Mod Podge and plastidip, but I'm not convinced yet and I would like some tips on how to seal the foam for a hard/stiff finish.

I started off a few days ago with a Pepakura for foam template of the shield and frankly I don't like it, I have more than a few mistakes here and there. So I decided to use this to test out the paint and see if maybe that would make it look better, but it didn't. I find that I'm terrible with the Plastidip spray, I need to find a way to hang the shield instead of the way it is now, I think particles are falling on it and damaging the finish. As you can see the ground coat is very spotty, some areas of the dip were not taking the coat properly. I'm thinking that I should get the Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and spray a coat before the primer. After the primer dried, it had "paint dust" on it, if I swiped my hand through the shield I would get all this dust on my hands and on the floor. 20160803_200726.jpg

Something else weird happened, the shield looks warped and I have no idea why. Has that happened to anyone before?

I'm already done cutting the pieces for the new shield, my next step is to sand the back flat.

Quick update, I've been experimenting the last couple of days with PVA and Smooth Cast 65D. The rectangular piece below is only sealed with PVA glue while the square is PVA glue and 2 layers of Smooth Cast 65D.

Both pieces look great at first, both take the paint without a problem. The big difference is made by the bending test. If you see below the PVA piece developed those ugly bend ridges by just bending a tiny bit while the piece with the 2 layers of 65D showed nothing at all. The piece was not rigid because I only did very light layers but the piece still held on, no sign that it was ever bent.

My end goal is to cover both sides with the 65D and with more layers.

20160807_213834.jpg20160807_213846.jpg20160807_214028.jpg20160807_214033.jpg

As for the shield itself I started out with 30'' diameter but that thing was massive so I reduced it to 26. The shape is all done, now I'm working on the straps and then I can start up the sealing process.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been working on a sled shield of my own, with lots of help from this thread (shoutout to Valor, generalFROSTY, and Kevin Gosset for their individual help). It turned out pretty well except for crackling on the blue due to applying the satin clear coat a little too soon after the blue (only 36 hours to cure with the blue. Also, ACRYLIC over ENAMEL paint = damage to the enamel paint. Learn from my mistake and use an enamel clear over the metalcast!). Luckily it is not really noticeable when viewed head-on, and I'm using this as a fun costuming piece rather than a display piece.IMG_3665.jpgIMG_3668.jpgIMG_3667.jpgIMG_3666.jpg

Anyways I live overseas and so, as my satin was not quite as glossy as I liked and as I didn't want any rust to accumulate during my travel, I glossed the front and back. The orange peel is not too bad, but would waxing help remove it? Or is wetsanding AND waxing necessary?

IMG_3670.jpg

(I'm attaching the star later of course :D) Lastly, does anyone know how to dull the gloss just a tad? Like, rubbing it down with a rough rag or something? Anyone tried this before?

Last edited:
Actually there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wg8Ch6L_-Y

Just don't do his technique on painting. Do it slow and close, like discussed earlier in the thread. But the wait times and stuff are accurate.

Also, taping over the shield and cutting out the rings after tracing them with a compass gets better circles than trying to manually tape the circles around like he does.

Actually there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wg8Ch6L_-Y

Just don't do his technique on painting. Do it slow and close, like discussed earlier in the thread. But the wait times and stuff are accurate.

Also, taping over the shield and cutting out the rings after tracing them with a compass gets better circles than trying to manually tape the circles around like he does.

Thanks delta! What do you mean by compass?

The videoes look great, but I'm more concerned with cutting the masking tape perfectly before painting. Delta mentioned the compass method. Are there any videos on this?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back