The Fifth Element ZORG Industries ZF1 build thread

my hat goes of to you sir, amazing craftmanship,(y)

i could watch this all day, :love:

8187944f32c747732a3ff896deb551a21be87b21&rid=giphy.gif

Hey,
awesome work.
normally it's just 50 normal posts, not threads. You should be able to post, if you still can't, contact an admin, as there are issues sometimes. good luck for the run (y)

Just a reminder that this is not a sales/run/interest thread... you can find those in the Classifieds forums if they are available. Please keep all talk of interest/price in Classifieds threads. Thanks. :)

Wow, this thread is the kind of Tony-Stark-like craftmanship and engineering that enables you to just build anything that comes to your mind. Absolutely awesome build.
Did you 3D-print the white surface parts on your last picture? What printer do you use? These kinds of outer body parts are always the ones I struggle the most with.

Did you 3D-print the white surface parts on your last picture? What printer do you use? These kinds of outer body parts are always the ones I struggle the most with.

Hi yes I 3D printed pretty much all of the parts, aside from the servos and lights. I have two Prusa mk3s’.

The 3D model still isn’t perfect, there are some slight issues with it but it’s good for the time being. It was a real struggle modelling it but luckily I have the authentic film shell to measure and take my references from. I spent a bit of time actually trying to find someone that would 3D scan my original film prop shell to get it 100% spot on.

Here’s a picture of the latest iteration of my kit version ZF1.

CFB534D8-7195-40EE-9701-8B67B083C51D.jpeg

A6A154EA-3318-4B91-B285-6126D077C990.jpeg

There are 5 servos powering this now, 3 micro switches and lots of cabling. I’ve put the main PCB that runs the prop on the left frame so you can easily access the trim pots that allow adjustment of where the scope and upper weapon bay stop and start.

I hope to get this painted soon too. I’d like to design hard masks, 3D printed that will enable quick and easy painting of multiple shells as opposed to using paper cut outs that flutter and need to be stuck down when spraying.

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how you did the shell, but if you have a shell already that makes sense. Trying to match those curves from reference pics sounds like a nightmare - not that modelling them off a physical reference is an easy feat either!

Well done, this looks amazing.

Getting down to the final niggles with my mainly 3D printable version. These two are my current test beds. The rear is an older version with entirely plastic frame, the closer one has a 3mm aluminium frame, similar to my original ZF1.

99237F8B-76B0-473D-A11B-7C621FCC37AB.jpeg

2170BAEB-5FE4-429F-B63A-003C785E97C0.jpeg

This seems to be the best of both worlds. You get a nice sturdy durable frame/skeleton with lightweight 3D printed components (these could be swapped out at a later date for metal versions) and I’m probably going to refit the plastic framed ZF1 with a metal frame.

Afterwards I’ll be working out a nice and easy way of spraying the patterns on them. I think I’ll do this by printing larger shells with cutouts for each colour of the camo. This will locate and let me spray multiple shells nice and quickly without the need to mask up individual patterns on each.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
What printer are you using?
Your prints look very clean
I use two Prusa mk3s’. They are great printers, real work horses. I’m waiting on the Elegoo Saturn’s to come into stock so I can SLA print some of these components like the scope hull and lower detail parts.

that is super cool, probably the only ZF-1 I can ever afford! (y)
Yes that’s the idea!! This prop is effectively an animatronic. The amount of hardware in it means it’s fairly expensive by default.

I use two Prusa mk3s’. They are great printers, real work horses. I’m waiting on the Elegoo Saturn’s to come into stock so I can SLA print some of these components like the scope hull and lower detail parts.
That’s the printer I’m waiting for or the phrozon mighty

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back