The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

My green hoodie came in:

CKTpKkq.jpg

Tk3nkzG.jpg

Hoping to find some shorts that are a little closer. The hoodie is pretty close, but maybe a little to minty of a color in real life. It photographs strangely depending on the lighting. This one is a size XL for reference. I tried to get that dropped sleeve seam look.

Last edited:
Color is great on the Gap sweatshirt. Drawstring for the hoodie is flat, not round. Ordered the large, but for the sag at the cuff should have gone XL...

Attachments

• 20190221_205032.jpg
    20190221_205032.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 235
  • 20190221_204200.jpg
    20190221_204200.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 263
What's the latest consensus on the dude's sunglasses? Are they black, brown, some kind of tortoise shell?

I recently picked up a pair of Vuarnets and I took a pic to try and match the angle as seen in the bar scene with the stranger.

ZFYZylp.jpg

Mine are brown with a kind of smoked edge.

fNGmdBh.jpg

kLhgP5I.jpg

Alright, Dudes. GAP hoodie came in and though it's not spot on, I love it and it will work for me. Pictures were taken with only light from outside my window.
I normal am between a M and a L (I wear a size 42 jacket size, 180 pounds, 5'8") and the last hoodie I bought from a Gap type store I found the Large was surprisingly too snug. So I took a chance and ordered an XL. I was wise to do this. I think it hangs pretty well in a Dude like manner.

ERM2tg4.jpg

aUVyPcu.jpg

What's the latest consensus on the dude's sunglasses? Are they black, brown, some kind of tortoise shell?

I recently picked up a pair of Vuarnets and I took a pic to try and match the angle as seen in the bar scene with the stranger.

Mine are brown with a kind of smoked edge.
Great looking shades!!

I think the color is up for debate. Some say tortoise shell, some say brown, some say brown with possibly black paint?

I just went for brown and got this pair. I like them a lot. They're a darker brown at the top and fade into a lighter brown towards the bottom. They also have some great lenses that I'm guessing are polarized and possibly the Skilynx version? They give everything a yellow tint but the lenses have an almost blue reflection from the back. They're amazing to drive with especially where I currently live with lots of glare from the snow.

7ZhyJjV.jpg

woq1Rxz.jpg

Last edited:
Should've posted these years ago, but forgot about them.

Did this for a local Australian con back in November 2017. I have the sweater like on the poster, but it was too warm for that.

The wig wasn't the best, but it worked. Alsot a false beard, due to my shameful inability to grow one.

Next cold con I'll do the other version. And hopefully still be able to get a White Russian at day's end :p

23472815_1926846720675915_5014458177096440910_n.jpg 23509103_702572153286908_2055872828979606683_o.jpg

Color is great on the Gap sweatshirt. Drawstring for the hoodie is flat, not round. Ordered the large, but for the sag at the cuff should have gone XL...

That looks great! I went to order one myself, but they don't have my size (XXL) and XL was also sold out when i looked. I'll have to keep an eye on it for restock, though! i've been wanting to do a cosplay with the hoodie for some time now.

Many moons ago I mentioned that I really wanted to work on a Gutterballs dream sequence outfit. I'm finally working on adding it to my cosplay collection. For now, I'm just going with "good enough" rather than screen accurate, but i'll add to it as time goes by. I'll post some photos in a week or two when I have the initial pass at it ready (before ECCC 2019 here in Seattle, hopefully!!!). if all goes well, i'll be wearing the outfit Saturday at SDCC this summer.

i'm really excited to work on the bowling shoes this weekend. since i'm not aiming for EXACTLY screen accurate, i bought a white pair on Amazon that I'll be using leather paint on for the gold and silver, with the black accent stripe, then adding some gold laces to.

you'd think for 20 years after the movie was filmed, it'd be hard to find a matching jumpsuit with the snap button and all, but you can buy Red Kap coverall looks pretty damn close to what was used in the movie (anyone know if that was the brand that was used?).

the tools are going to be the toughest part for the costume since i need convention-friendly stuff that i can take inside, so no real tools. i found a toy drill that will pass at a glance while it's in the holster, a foam claw hammer, and a set of children's tools (about 5" each) that will work as filler for the side pouch. i have a pair of safety goggles to use already and picked up a green measuring tape box on Amazon for $4.

does anyone have a list or know what's all on his belt? he has two claw hammers (one on his hip, one on his backside), a smaller (ball peen?) hammer, the drill, goggles, measuring tape, at least a couple pair of pliers, 1 or 2 screwdrivers, but it's hard to make out anything beyond that. if anyone has insight, i'd appreciate it. :D

Many moons ago I mentioned that I really wanted to work on a Gutterballs dream sequence outfit. I'm finally working on adding it to my cosplay collection. For now, I'm just going with "good enough" rather than screen accurate, but i'll add to it as time goes by. I'll post some photos in a week or two when I have the initial pass at it ready (before ECCC 2019 here in Seattle, hopefully!!!). if all goes well, i'll be wearing the outfit Saturday at SDCC this summer.

And so it begins, Duderinos...

View media item 51836
The belt is a two-hole rather than one, but ehh... drill is also a con-friendly toy that's about 3/4 size or smaller. I'm still waiting for the drill holster, various toy tools to repaint, and other things for the costume, but the main parts arrived at least. i'm going to fake the shoes since only the fans even recognize the silver & gold, let alone if i only do part of them as such and leave the toe & tongue portion white for now. (i even took a poll of friends of mine that know the movie fairly well and they didn't even know they were those colors, so i think i'm good for a con until i get something better).

I'm really impressed with the Red Kap jumpsuit. It's even got the little side pocket on the right thigh like in the movie. It needs several washes to get the removed sleeves properly frayed and the look & feel of it weathered nicely...

The surprise part for this (and just in general) was that my mother happened to have some duckbill hair clips that are a close match to The Dude's and from 30+ years ago, so they have a nice "vintage" look to them. Since I'm using a wig this year for the first time (I cut my hair super short for an Eddie Valiant cosplay back in September and still growing out), one of those clips will be perfect for helping style it as needed, too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back