The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by CrowTeeRobot, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CrowTeeRobot

CrowTeeRobot Active Member

I thought it might be a good idea, seeing as I'm working on a "The Dude" costume, and I'm sure others will be working on them as well, it seemms like a good idea to create a single thread to use as a resource and research to find certain items that El Duderino (If you're not into the whole brevity thing.) wore throughout the movie.

Of course we start off with the sunglasses, The Dude sports a pair of Vuarnet 003 frames with darker lenses than usually equipped with the frames.
    [​IMG]

Then we have that sweater, that oh so distinctive sweater. This is a cowichan style sweater that was made by Pendleton. These pop up all the time on ebay, but be prepared to spend often over $200. If you don't feel like spending that much, then do what I'm gonna do. Use this pattern, and hire someone to knit it for you, man. The Dude Sweater Pattern on Ravelry
    [​IMG]

The dude is often seen wearing Jellies Style sandals, a pvc clear sandal that is actually meant to be worn by women, but larger sizes will fit men comfortably. These sandals can be purchased here.http://www.lameduse.com/
    [​IMG]

The other kind of shoes that His Dudeness wears throughout the movies look to be a pair of Otomix martial arts training shoes, which can be found on various places around the web, and often show up on ebay.
    [​IMG]

Another fun little piece you can pick up is The Dude's only form of identification, a Ralph's grocery store member card. You cn find a very nice replica for very cheap by searching for "lebowski ralphs card" on ebay.
    [​IMG]

Now I think that's a pretty good start for this thread, let's see if we can't flesh it out some more with information about his other articles of clothing, maybe the purple parachute pants he wears, what kind of bowling bag he carries,the brand of portable phone that the kidnappers call him on and any other little accoutrements that would greatly compliment this great character!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    MsRae likes this.
  2. El Duderino

El Duderino Sr Member

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

Thanks for posting that site about the sweater, I'm always looking for more about it. I need to find someone to knit one for me as well, if you come across anyone let me know. I seen one of those sweaters go for $500 on ebay a few weeks ago, it's crazy how much people will pay for the original sweater. I'd also like to know if there's a name on the back of the bowling shirt for the Dude team, anyone have any idea?

3. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

You're not talking about the "Medina Sod" one?

4. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

5. El Duderino

El Duderino Sr Member

That's the one.

6. Larry Young

Authentic Replica Big Lebowski Bowling Shirt

I bought one of these, not expecting much, and it's a decent shirt. The embroidery on the front and the "vintage" patch on the sleeve are much better than I expected. I wear it around all the time in the summer.

7. AdamNightmare

AdamNightmare Well-Known Member

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Fun fact: The jellies were actually not part of the costume design. Jeff Bridges just wore them one day, and they went with it. They were actually his own shoes.

I went to the 7th Annual LebowskiFest in Louisville, KY a couple years back. I won the bowling competition.

[​IMG]

The bigger bowling trophy is on my shelf at home.

[​IMG]

Liam and me? We're gonna f*ck you up. (wearing the replica Japanese Softball Tee from this scene):

[​IMG]

JoeDude likes this.
  8. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

What about the rug? Any info on that. It really tied the room together, did it not?
    [​IMG]

MsRae likes this.
  9. CrowTeeRobot

According to my research, the rug was a medium or small sized ardakan/ardekan style persian rug. I'm planning on looking at some salvation army and other thrift shops and see if I can't find a close one.
    [​IMG]
    Guide to Ardekan Rugs and Carpets

Another note, it seems that The Dude is wearing a different kind of sandals in the opening scene in the supermarket, any ideas on what they are?
    [​IMG]

10. Icey

Icey Active Member

They look like the cheapo Okabashi sandals you can get at Walgreens and the like: http://images.opentip.com/full/OKB/OKB-MILAN-M_2.jpg

11. Vasago

Vasago Member

This is my new favourite thread!

I've been wanting to do the supermarket costume for a fancy dress (preferably when the weather warms up), but I have not been able to find an accurate bathrobe/dressing gown! Actually, the shorts have also proved difficult to source something even close :(

12. El Duderino

El Duderino Sr Member

I used to wear my robe to a bar down the street from my old house and I'd always order a white russian. Every time I walked in they'd say "A white russian for you sir?" it was nice. I wish they called me the dude though, that would of rocked.

13. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

I love this thread!

XSixxX likes this.
  14. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

^Ditto
    [​IMG]

15. Vasago

Vasago Member

This also makes me sad that I left my special edition The Big Lebowski DVD at an ex-girlfriends when we broke up... I miss that DVD :(

I think half the trouble with a SA costume here is a lot of The Dude's clothes were from Jeff Bridges' own wardrobe

*EDIT*

[​IMG]

hmm this looks close in my opinion... shame they don't ship international

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  16. CrowTeeRobot

Hmm, they look close, but no cigar. On further examination of reference photos, it appears that there is a split in the side of the sandals also. Does that help narrow it down at all?
    [​IMG]

In the meantime, I think those obakashi sandals would make a great stand in, and for only $15, they're hard to beat.

@Vasago, what're the details on that robe you found, it looks perfect! Maybe the name itself could help us track down a similar style elsewhere.
    And regarding the shorts, I simply went on ebay and searched for "checkered shorts" and find quite a few suitable, if not pretty darned close looking shorts that would fit the role perfectly.

17. thundrkiss

thundrkiss Active Member

that's good to hear ,I was debating on getting one..

18. CrowTeeRobot

Alright guys, I have a few more links to share here.

Thanks to Vasago it looks like we have a great source for a pretty darned close version of the Dude's robe. It's a Perry Ellis robe, and it's actually on clearance at Bed Bath & Beyond right now. I know I'll be going out to pick one up for myself this week.
    Perry Ellis Portfolio Ultra Luxe Men's Shawl Collar Robe

[​IMG]

I also managed to track down the correct zipper style pull tab for the sweater if you're having one made for you. It's the ring one listed on this page, and can actually be seen on an original Pendleton sweater in MooCriket's post above. Fancy Schmantzy Slides For #5 METAL Zippers

[​IMG]

I was also wondering if anyone had an opinion on these The Big Lebowski - Official "The Dude" Sunglasses

[​IMG]
    I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up a pair to use with the costume, or would they be too crappy to use?

19. Larry Young

If you get someone to knit you the Pendleton, make sure you have a 1.5" ring pull, because YKK makes different sizes.

[​IMG]

20. Vasago

Vasago Member

[​IMG]

I swear blind this is the rug my mum had when I was younger... might have to see if she still has it (unlikely) and if so steal it!

Opus 5843 Red - buy online at Modern Rugs UK

(based in UK)

21. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

I confess: I haven't seen TBL yet! Yes, yes I hould be ashamed, I've heard it about 2 weeks from a work colleague that I have to see it! BUT: I remember the trailer and the plot - so I'm not completely lost - LOL.

Anyway I found a photo, which could be titled - "The Dude Lives!"
    [​IMG]

22. Larry Young

Looks like some dye-ing is going to be needed on that BB&B robe:

[​IMG]

23. Vasago

Vasago Member

Wow! That looks a lot lighter in the supermarket scene than in that pic!

24. Larry Young

The avocado belt loops are what threw me.

25. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any leads on the Pajama pants?

26. CrowTeeRobot

I looked up YKK, and they no longer make the correct kind of ring pull zipper tab, their newer ones are completely empty circles with no curved solid piece in the top, and it looks like the other ones I found do have that bit, but I'll make sure I contact the seller before I buy to make sure they're right size.

Hmm, in that photo the robe looks to be almost purple, which I know can't be right. Maybe it's just the picture or the camera it was taken with, but I'm fairly sure the original was a medium brown color. And even if it is purple, I'd much rather match on screen color than actual color, and I'll probably have to dye it anyways to get that medium brown color.

I'm pretty sure that they're traning/ weightlifting pants from the 80's, and searches on ebay and google seem to turn up many similar looking pants. The key is to just keep looking until you find the right pair.

I looked some more at reference photos and decided I'll probably go with those Okabashi sandals that were recommended and then use a curved cut to remove the middle strap to get a similar look to that of the ones in the movie. Okabashi Milan Sandals
    [​IMG]

27. AdamNightmare

AdamNightmare Well-Known Member

The robe is medium brown. I'm not really sure what's going on with the pic where it looks purple, but it's actually, well, dirt colored.

For reference, you can get the baseball tee here or here, but you should get it here.

It's another piece that was Jeff Bridge's own clothing - he also wore it for a scene in The Fisher King.

28. CrowTeeRobot

There's some really great information being shared in this thread, I'll probably edit the original post and add all this information and links so it can be a one stop spot for all your 'The Dude' needs and what have you.

On the front for the shorts, I managed to find a pair I rather liked and looked quite close to the plaid shorts that The Dude wears several times throughout the movie, including the opening supermarket scene.
    [​IMG]

I'm planning on using a seam ripper to remove the cargo style pockets and maybe giving it a quick dip in some olive colored dye to make them a bit darker.

29. Kittlemeier

Kittlemeier Well-Known Member

I like the one from Found Item Clothing. Seems to match the color and printing of the Lebowski screen shirt pretty well. The shirt from Lebowski Fest looks more like it does in The Fisher King but like the robe I'd rather have what it looks like on screen than what it looks like in person.

30. Kittlemeier

Kittlemeier Well-Known Member

31. Vasago

Vasago Member

CrowTeeRobot, them shorts seem to be an almost spot on match for the ones shown in the photo in the back of the limo. I do believe however that the ones worn in the supermarket are a different pair, maybe the same make/style but certainly more green/blue plaid than the cream/brown plaid worn in the limo. Nice find though!

I'm certain the pants are the 80's style weightlifting trousers, I remember people wearing them back then... they never looked good even then lol. I guess ebay is the only option here.

32. CrowTeeRobot

Went out today and picked up about $60 worth of yarn and knitting supplies at Jo-Ann Fabrics, AC Moore and Michaels, visited all those stores at least twice each, but managed to get suitably colored yarn.

Some more info on The Dude related items:

On ebay there's someone selling some very nice, high quality replicas of the Man of the Year Time mirrors, just search for lebowski time mirror and they should pop up.
    [​IMG]

There's also someone selling dead-on replica's of the Dude's checkbook, just serach for Lebowski checkbook and you'll find it.
    [​IMG]

And here's a direct link to the Otomix Martial Arts shoes, they're on sale right now, so it'd be a good time to pick them up.
    MMA/Karate/Taekwondo Shoe
    [​IMG]

Whelp, looks like I won't be paying the tuition for my spring semester, but at least I'll have some pretty awesome The Dude clothes!

33. Vasago

Vasago Member

Hmmmm... are you planning to knit a pendleton sweater?

Nice find on the other stuff!

I feel your pain financially, if I didn't have to get my car fixed I would be The Dude

34. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Gus is a member here, you can shoot him a mail

35. gusw666

gusw666 Well-Known Member

I just saw this thread cause a member told me over Ebay, I have those checkbooks for sale on Ebay still.

Great Thread BTW, here in Argentina they sell on the street those plastic translucent sandals that the dude uses, I will get one some day and bring pics to the thread.

Cya

Gus

36. cmaher55

cmaher55 New Member

Folks, great topic....! I just found a sweater on Ebay for a "buy it now" of $99. They said it was a size large but it was tagged as a medium in the pictures. I am pretty sure I can wear a medium as I think they run a little big and I'm kinda in between a medium and a large. I've been looking a long time and I thought I'd have to pay through the nose for one of these as I have been watching them go for $250 to $500. I watched the movie again last month with my sons (age 18 and 20) and now they are Lebowski fans...! Here's the sellers pics from Ebay. Regards

37. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:eek

GREAT deal! Very jealous.

38. Larry Young

They've discontinued those Otomix, so now's the time to get them if you want them.

39. Jaintly

Jaintly Active Member

I own a vintage Pendleton Dude sweater, and the ring zipper pull is made by a company named Talon, not YKK. It's says Talon right on it, and there's also a small T on the ring itself where it attaches to the zipper. Hope this helps!

If the Pendleton Company, which is still in business, ever started making these sweaters again, they'd make a fortune!

40. Larry Young

They used at least two company's zippers, then, 'cause my vintage is a YKK:

[​IMG]

41. cmaher55

cmaher55 New Member

I think that might be the case that they had multiple suppliers of similar zippers and "vintage" could be either one. I'll do some more research and see what I can find. On a side note I was able to get a size large Lebowski sweater on the Ebay for not too bad a price.... I'll give the "medium" to my 20 year old son who's a film buff as it will fit him perfectly at 135 lbs. I'm 165 lbs and 5'9" and the medium just fits me but I could use an inch more in the shoulders and under arms.... How about that, father-son Lebowski sweaters...? I wonder if anybody will notice if we wear them out together....? Regards

42. CrowTeeRobot

Welp, back with some updates.

I got those shorts I ordered and proceeded to take a seam ripper to the pockets, and I must say, they ended up very dudeish.
    [​IMG]

I also spent a couple of hours scouring ebay, looking under "weight lifter pants" "parachute pants" and finally "pajama pants" and I stumbled upon a a pair that are about as close as I'm gonna come to the pants that the dude wears in the Jackie Treehorn scenes and others. These are the comfiest pajama pants I have ever owned, I can see why The Dude wore them. Now to hit them with just a dash of purple RIT.
    [​IMG]

Yarnageddon! I went and scoured Jo-Ann Fabrics, A. C. Moore and Michaels to find the right colors and quantities of yarn that I needed for the sweater, I also picked up the circular knitting needles that are required. And when I casually asked my dear old grandmother if she'd knit me a sweater I'd found a pattern for, she was delighted at the prospect! Yep, everything is coming up daisies right now.
    [​IMG]

I am absolutely loving the wealth of information that is pouring into this thread, thanks guys! I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's Dude costumes!

And cmaher55, I was considering picking up that buy it now sweater, but now I'm glad I didn't, seeing as I require at the least a large, and the medium would've been too small for me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  43. cmaher55

cmaher55 New Member

44. Jon8712

Jon8712 Well-Known Member

CrowTeeRobot, great job on what you've put together so far. Good luck on knitting the Pendleton, I'm sure we all anxiously await progrees pics.

Can you share a link for purchasing the plaid Wrangler shorts you found? They look very close, and I'd like to get a pair for the Lebowski Fest here in Tampa near the end of the month.

Thanks!

Art
    'Jon8712'

45. CrowTeeRobot

Actually, I found them on ebay by doing a search for "plaid shorts."
    You can actually look for specifics regarding your waist size and general sizes like L XL, etc. That's how I managed to track down a pair for myself, sorry I can't be of more help.

And by the way, the brand of the pajama pants was Nautica, in case anyone was wondering.

I'm gonna take drive up to my Grandmother's house in the next week to drop off all the knitting supplies for her, so I'll keep you posted on where the sweater is at.

I'm thinking about going out to the Columbus Lebowski Fest, seeing as my sister lives out there, and hopefully have at least one of the outfits done by then.

46. Jon8712

Thanks, Luke. I'll try eBay, as I'd like to find the specific plaid-patterned Wrangler shorts like you purchased. (I tried Google/Froogle searches and Wrangler.com with no luck, so I though you might have purchased them from a specific online retailer.) I might look into the Nautica 'training' pants, too, while I'm at it.

Maybe we'll post some photos after the Tampa fest (my special lady friend will be dressed as 'robe' maude and 'Valkyrie' Maude). I was told recently that there are photos online of me as the Dude and a friend as Walter from DragonCon '10, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Thanks again!

Art
    'Jon8712'

47. CrowTeeRobot

This you guys? If so, extremely well done.
    [​IMG]

I ordered a pair of those Otomix shoes in white (13 was one of last sizes in stock. Whew!) Thanks for the heads up, Larry.

I think I might have to put a hold on my Lebowski related purchases for the moment so my bank account can recover.:unsure

48. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

^That is an AWESOME pic. Those dudes nailed the look.

49. Jon8712

No, I wish! Those guys looked like they walked out of the movie into real life. They also were in the Saturday morning parade. I did a quick google search for pics of my friend and me, and here we are:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4974226188_9227f1cb96.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/4966232177_f7743aea36.jpg

Not the greatest (I hate the wig I had!!), but a valiant effort nonetheless.:) Looking forward to 'Dude-ing'-up next weekend.

Art
    'Jon8712'

50. CrowTeeRobot

Walter looks dead on, man. And the Dude doesn't look very bad at all, the only thing that really threw me was the beard on the chin, maybe use some crepe hair and liquid latex next time, I did a little test run with a fake Brian Blessed beard made out of crepe hair and liquid latex, and it came out great.