The Batman costume research and found parts ID

I'm starting to weather and mod the flashlight. I'm going to hit the biggest plumbing supply place I can find tomorrow. Your idea about it being cut-down is brilliant.

If ANYONE has the complete limited run of the riddler cards/envelopes released by ‘Dust’/‘Zavvi’ I’m laying all my cards on the table and making an offer of $500 for the complete set. Payment via PayPal Goods & Servies with fees covered, or an Ebay Auction, but so long as the cards are in mint condition, even if the item has been opened I will still pay $500. This has been the ONLY prop(s) I’ve wanted that I cannot seem to get ahold of, and after losing 3 auctions and 2 private sellers deciding to take better offers, I’m offering my final top dollar amount, heck, I’ll go $550, these cards to go with a Riddler LifeSize have been my ultimate want since seeing the film. If you have this box set and are interested in selling, PLEASE PM me! Thanks!
618D421D-6B0A-4D31-AF82-EAF75E2B9696.jpeg

Wrist-Comm/Watch Screen Face:

On one hand I realize just how minutia-based this inquiry is. On the other hand (pun noted), I also know that on here is where I'll find a few other folks who've been thinking about this as well.

A while back there was a full-size traveling Battinson suited mannequin that traveled around premieres etc. Some great images were shared here, and it was a pretty accurate (though maybe not screen-used) suit for details. There is a shot of the wrist comm device on the arm of this costume and I always thought it had a Riddler mock-up screen insert on it. Look at the one attached here on the right and you'll see an image of his glasses and some yellow/green BG. Then Sam Williams released some high-level detail concept art and images of the actual device on his IG account, and the screen art on the one he shows looks just like a regular Apple or similar watch-face that shows:
comp.jpg

• Battery life icon
  • A graph/wave of what seems to be an audio snippet within an editor start/end section
  • "CH 23" Speculating that Bruce is monitoring a police scanner or his private ear-comms on channel 23. Though not sure why he'd need visual audio wave capture. Voice recognition? Evidence recording? Analysis of stress levels? Riddler close circuit broadcast reviewing?
  • Then we have the time as "10:58" and a smaller figure. Again, not sure why there'd be a number here. If it were a time division, like on a stopwatch or timer, it would feature a colon. It almost looks like it's a carrier format like "4G" or "LTE"?
  • Then he date which is "6-30 Sunday"
So then that all got me thinking that the original traveling mannequin suit's screen face that I had been convinced was a set of Riddler glasses now just looks to me like possibly a happy accident reflection of something else in the booth nearby?

So having just received the beautiful wrist-COMM prop from Dominic, it seemed like the right time to consult the community for input on all this.

Thoughts?

UPDATE from an hour later: I'm an idiot. Flip the image there and you get a yellow superman shield, Clark Kent's glasses and "The geek of steel." logo. It's clearly a reflection of a t-shirt. DOH! Okay - still looking for input on what should/could be on his watch comm screen...
steel.jpg
cropped-img_77991.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the same thing in those photos, and was wondering why that particular display suit had a pair of glasses on the watch face...now we know, lol.

Rob

I just found this forum and my god you guys are amazing!

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what fabrics were used for the suit, I would like to get the correct texture for the fabrics.

Edit: Done some researching and found a fabric that looks like it matches. The artbook says the suit was inspired by Russian pressure suits, which are apparently made of Nylon canvas fabric and to me it looks like a solid match.

Here are a couple of amazon links to show you what I've found:
---Grey Heavy Duty Waterproof Fabric for Sewing Outdoor Cushions 600 Denier Canvas Material by The Metre W150CM, 1 Metre
---EU Fabrics 7oz PU Coated Outdoor Waterproof Fabric - Water-Proof, Tear Resistant, Cloth for Outdoor Garden Furniture, Sewing Material for Crafts and Hobbies - 150cm Wide (Grey) - to me this one looks pretty close if not perfect
---Nylon Fabric Waterproof Material 4oz by The Meter (Grey)

What do you guys think? I think it matches the fabric used for the chest armour and shoulder armour:
IMG_6625.JPEG
1659709745089.png

However I'm not sure about the fabric used of the lower torso and legs, to me they appear to reflect light differently.
I wonder did they use a different fabric for those parts?
Or, were they weathered differently?
The picture below makes it look like the lower torso has the same texture for the fabric but more frayed or something.
Snapshot 2022-05-31 05.59.09.png

I'm not really sure, would love to hear your thoughts
Do tell me if I've missed something.

Also does anyone know what kind of straps these are?
IMG_6619k.JPEG

Last edited:
If ANYONE has the complete limited run of the riddler cards/envelopes released by ‘Dust’/‘Zavvi’ I’m laying all my cards on the table and making an offer of $500 for the complete set. Payment via PayPal Goods & Servies with fees covered, or an Ebay Auction, but so long as the cards are in mint condition, even if the item has been opened I will still pay $500. This has been the ONLY prop(s) I’ve wanted that I cannot seem to get ahold of, and after losing 3 auctions and 2 private sellers deciding to take better offers, I’m offering my final top dollar amount, heck, I’ll go $550, these cards to go with a Riddler LifeSize have been my ultimate want since seeing the film. If you have this box set and are interested in selling, PLEASE PM me! Thanks!View attachment 1601679

So, I just got one of these and I wanted to share with you my method. I've been wanting this since I missed it on Zavvi as well. And it just keeps going up in price. If these go to auction without a BIN price, they're just going to keep going up and SOMEONE will pay $600 for one eventually. So I didn't want to wait until that was the new market price. I went into eBay, found everyone who had sold one in the past 60 days, and messaged all of them until I found someone who still had another and would accept my $300 offer.

It took a little doing, but the chances of a confirmed seller having more than one of these is high. And lo and behold, I got my set.
Try this, or similar, and good luck!

Attachments

• 13412074-6964939951853820.jpg
    13412074-6964939951853820.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I just found this forum and my god you guys are amazing!

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what fabrics were used for the suit, I would like to get the correct texture for the fabrics.

Edit: Done some researching and found a fabric that looks like it matches. The artbook says the suit was inspired by Russian pressure suits, which are apparently made of Nylon canvas fabric and to me it looks like a solid match.

Here are a couple of amazon links to show you what I've found:
---Grey Heavy Duty Waterproof Fabric for Sewing Outdoor Cushions 600 Denier Canvas Material by The Metre W150CM, 1 Metre
---EU Fabrics 7oz PU Coated Outdoor Waterproof Fabric - Water-Proof, Tear Resistant, Cloth for Outdoor Garden Furniture, Sewing Material for Crafts and Hobbies - 150cm Wide (Grey) - to me this one looks pretty close if not perfect
---Nylon Fabric Waterproof Material 4oz by The Meter (Grey)

What do you guys think? I think it matches the fabric used for the chest armour and shoulder armour:
View attachment 1604861View attachment 1604863
However I'm not sure about the fabric used of the lower torso and legs, to me they appear to reflect light differently.
I wonder did they use a different fabric for those parts?
Or, were they weathered differently?
The picture below makes it look like the lower torso has the same texture for the fabric but more frayed or something.
View attachment 1604865
I'm not really sure, would love to hear your thoughts
Do tell me if I've missed something.

Also does anyone know what kind of straps these are?
View attachment 1604862
You're on the right track with your fabric. Everyone I've talked to has been using Cordura 600 denier grey, which is one of the ones you linked to. Most people have been using a pre-made under suit. There are a couple makers doing really nice ones.

The gauntlet and chest armor straps are Griplock 6 1.5" belt webbing. I've been told that you can buy it in bulk from their site, but I have yet to see how. Men's Gunmetal Belt

You're on the right track with your fabric. Everyone I've talked to has been using Cordura 600 denier grey, which is one of the ones you linked to. Most people have been using a pre-made under suit. There are a couple makers doing really nice ones.

The gauntlet and chest armor straps are Griplock 6 1.5" belt webbing. I've been told that you can buy it in bulk from their site, but I have yet to see how. Men's Gunmetal Belt
Thanks for the info, that's really helpful

You will have to edit the Grip 6 as it should have 8 "ribs" and should be 1" wide. This is known because the same strapping is used on the bottom of the bicep with the buckle that has 1" wide slots.

Questions for the group:

1. Has anyone found an accurate yellow/gold replacement polypropolene webbing for replacing yhe straps on the Fidlock 25 hooks? I thought I had the right style, I ordered the "Country Brook Design" webbing but it is wrong in two ways: First, it's way thicker than the red webbing on the Fidlocks. The webbing needs to be 5/8" wide and thin enough to get through the buckle and be stapled/sewn together. Secondly, the original is true PP webbing so it cuts cleanly. The stuff I bought has some cotton in it and just gets messy when cut. You can melt the edge, but that's just not the right product to start with. Anyone have a line on a product?
screenshot_20220222-193153_instagram-jpg.jpg

2. Got all the correct belt pouches I wanted except for the two rear ASP style baton/flare/flashlight holders. One is leather and one is nylon. Both look like they may have been cut-down, but I've ordered a few that all arrived way too small for the style. Does anyone have good sizing/length/diameter for those two pouches? Or what are you using there?

Inked51793278595_b4c5a4cf2c_o_LI.jpg

3. Someone(s) had mentioned that the chest piece straps, biceps, gauntlets etc were Grip6 1.5" belt material. But it looks to me like all those straps are different widths. What are people really usig for the gauntlet straps, chest straps, arm armor straps etc?
Snapshot 2022-05-31 06.03.34.png

r8rzzdbvxpi41.jpg

4. I'm waiting for the Bat&Cat belt, but in the meantime am working on a hybrid of my own made up of a Safariland and an Aker, just like the screen-used one. In all the shots that show it frankensteined together with black web strapping in the back, thewre are silver flat heads of what I think are Chicago screws. Can anyone confirm this? And is it just the bottom of them we're seeing? Is the other side where the slotted head is?

Screenshot_20220318-222001_Gallery.jpg

Thanks!

For the yellow webbing, I'm using this: Webbing - 1/2" x 16 ft - Light Weight Nylon - Yellow (H65) | eBay

For the bicep and chest webbing, I'm using Grip6 in both sizes; for the bicep strap, you'll need to trim the 1.1 inch wide version down by one rib to make it fit: Kids' Webbing Strap

As for the chest strap, I'm using the 1.5" Grip6 strap over a 2" grey nylon webbing strap from Strapworks: Women's Webbing Strap (1.5" Width)

Rob

Did some special fx for the Batman 2022 wrist communicator. First, based on Sam Williams' fantastic original concept art, I designed a basic static display face to sit under the screen in Dominic's (DB Props & Shop) awesome 3D realized prop version. I printed these out on photo paper for the added gloss, and cut them out to fit inside Dom's clear outer display layer.

2022-08-08 11.42.37.jpg
2022-08-08 11.42.44.jpg

Then I took it a bit further. I figured the comm. face that Sam Williams had designed looked like a police band scanner (channel 23) but what if, in universe, it was a voice analyzer? Or a direct comm. Bluetooth for his contact lens surveillance video? Or wi-fi enabled browser that could monitor Riddler’s live streams? I created static images for these possible functions as well:

2022-08-07 16.12.19.jpg
2022-08-07 16.14.51.jpg

I made several different options for this effect and have about a dozen potential screens.

But Dom also offers a custom backplate to house an older 38mm Apple Watch in the actual prop housing, and that was too big of a challenge to ignore. NOTE: This is a complicated issue that only folks that really want to use the Apple Watch for this prop will suffer through, so bear with me here.

First I created/edited the animation and/or video clips complete with audio. I dumped the Riddler audio into a voice analyzer app and then recorded video of it playing (the waveform) in real-time to make a short clip.

For the surveillance contact lens footage, I did the same thing but in an infrared/fisheye lens filter with a viewfinder, which I loaded the camera footage from Selina’s night in the club. For the streaming Riddler message, I just cropped and edited his original video that was played on the news in the film.

There are several ways to share a static image on the Apple Watch. But using it as just a background image (wallpaper) for an actual new replacement "face" is disappointing because Apple does not let you use a face that does not include their time display (in THEIR font style and colors) So, even if you move the time/complications around on the face, it still always shows their time display. I did come up with a workaround for this - it's not the best, because it still shows Apple's time, but at least there is room for the watch display to function properly.

But if you don't care about the watch still showing the ciorrect time and just want the effect of a video clip to display, to get the Apple Watch to simply play and display video along with audio (not as an official "face") here's one way to do that:
Once I edited the videos, I sent each one of them to myself via text, then opened the text messages on a V.1 38mm Apple Watch that Dom has built a custom housing for.

This was a fun side project, and I’m happy to share any of what I did with the community, but it’s not the easiest to pull off in a cosplay situation due the the finicky-ness of the Apple Watch. Fun. But not practical. I think the majority of the time, I’m going to just rely on the static display image, which after printed and mounted, looks great to me on its own. DM me if you want to use the files for your own build.

Did some special fx for the Batman 2022 wrist communicator. First, based on Sam Williams' fantastic original concept art, I designed a basic static display face to sit under the screen in Dominic's (DB Props & Shop) awesome 3D realized prop version. I printed these out on photo paper for the added gloss, and cut them out to fit inside Dom's clear outer display layer.

View attachment 1610140 View attachment 1610141

Then I took it a bit further. I figured the comm. face that Sam Williams had designed looked like a police band scanner (channel 23) but what if, in universe, it was a voice analyzer? Or a direct comm. Bluetooth for his contact lens surveillance video? Or wi-fi enabled browser that could monitor Riddler’s live streams? I created static images for these possible functions as well:

View attachment 1610144 View attachment 1610145
I made several different options for this effect and have about a dozen potential screens.

But Dom also offers a custom backplate to house an older 38mm Apple Watch in the actual prop housing, and that was too big of a challenge to ignore. NOTE: This is a complicated issue that only folks that really want to use the Apple Watch for this prop will suffer through, so bear with me here.

First I created/edited the animation and/or video clips complete with audio. I dumped the Riddler audio into a voice analyzer app and then recorded video of it playing (the waveform) in real-time to make a short clip.

For the surveillance contact lens footage, I did the same thing but in an infrared/fisheye lens filter with a viewfinder, which I loaded the camera footage from Selina’s night in the club. For the streaming Riddler message, I just cropped and edited his original video that was played on the news in the film.

View attachment 1610152

There are several ways to share a static image on the Apple Watch. But using it as just a background image (wallpaper) for an actual new replacement "face" is disappointing because Apple does not let you use a face that does not include their time display (in THEIR font style and colors) So, even if you move the time/complications around on the face, it still always shows their time display. I did come up with a workaround for this - it's not the best, because it still shows Apple's time, but at least there is room for the watch display to function properly.

But if you don't care about the watch still showing the ciorrect time and just want the effect of a video clip to display, to get the Apple Watch to simply play and display video along with audio (not as an official "face") here's one way to do that:
Once I edited the videos, I sent each one of them to myself via text, then opened the text messages on a V.1 38mm Apple Watch that Dom has built a custom housing for.

This was a fun side project, and I’m happy to share any of what I did with the community, but it’s not the easiest to pull off in a cosplay situation due the the finicky-ness of the Apple Watch. Fun. But not practical. I think the majority of the time, I’m going to just rely on the static display image, which after printed and mounted, looks great to me on its own. DM me if you want to use the files for your own build.
DM sent. Thank you.

So I decided tonight I’d try and mod my gloves. They’re not the Mechanix Breachers, but they’re somewhere in this forum I know, they’re basic $30 knockoffs. I used a seam ripper and removed the strap around the wrist, which was way too bulky and limiting for my taste anyways. Found these leather patches at Michael’s today for like $5, so I trimmed them a little and ended up using a combination of contact cement and saddle stitching to attach the new strap and Velcro to the glove. I still have a little trimming left to do to round out the corners and redye a couple areas, but I’m really happy with it so far and it fits much tighter
4E9F914F-5C97-4F0D-AF13-B5FF93E65C2D.jpeg

Attachments

• 7A74AA74-D3AB-40C3-878A-3621D30FC8A9.jpeg
    7A74AA74-D3AB-40C3-878A-3621D30FC8A9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 104
Sorry guys! I had not been checking this thread or the DM's! Files sent. I've redone the static face to allow Apple Time and have other video clip options sized almost all ready to go. Will add those and make them available as well in Part II of this project.
Files are pretty great! Thanks again Radio!!! :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back