Sucker Punch costume thread

Thanks!

I'm totally spamming the end of this thread, pulling attention from the D*C photos, but it's super exciting to find people who like my work!

I hope to see more results from Dragon*Con since I couldn't go!

You're Spamming?? My 3d models are taking over :lol Great work Needtodestroy I always like to see attention to detail and you have it :cool

Paul

You're Spamming?? My 3d models are taking over :lol Great work Needtodestroy I always like to see attention to detail and you have it :cool

Paul

Thanks!

I'm painfully obsessed with details! It feels like this build took me forever rather than two months! I'm still finishing up the "shotgun" since I began but stopped when I found out that the conventions that I was planning on going to wouldn't allow airsoft weapons, regardless of how modified they were.

Does anyone have or can possibly take a photo of the TSUBA of the sword? The one I used was highly pixelated and missing bits so doesn't look good close up I'm looking for something like this but without the sword or Scabbard in the shot. Ideally from the top/front of the sword

Thanks in advance :)

handforged%20movie%20samurai%20swords%20image%201.jpg

Paul

Hi all! I've been lurking on this thread for the past two months reading everyone's tips and tricks for making the costumes, so I thought I'd contribute something and post a picture! This is my friend and I at Dragon*Con in our (unfinished) costumes, I'm the Babydoll and she's the Amber. I didn't have time to finish the holster before the convention, but I hope to have everything done by Halloween so I can wear it again as the finished version! This was the Amber's first costume, she was pretty excited to make it.

Hi everyone, so many amazing costumes! You are all amazing :)

I wonder if I could ask if anyone has any decent res costume references for the Wiseman. My boyfriend has decided to join our SP group for Supanova - and he hasn't left us a lot of time!! :rolleyes

I'd be grateful for anything anyone can offer, and good luck with your costumes!!

Dani

Hi everyone, so many amazing costumes! You are all amazing :)

I wonder if I could ask if anyone has any decent res costume references for the Wiseman. My boyfriend has decided to join our SP group for Supanova - and he hasn't left us a lot of time!! :rolleyes

I'd be grateful for anything anyone can offer, and good luck with your costumes!!

Dani

I would be your man. I'm going to be the Wiseman at Expo in October.

First thing you need to decide is which version you want?

Kimono, WW1, Flight Suit or Futuristic?

I went for WW1 because it was all accessible on ebay

Hat: Cheviot WW1 or WW2 officers cap/hat ---- Ebay has loads shop about

Badge: His hat badge is an off the shelf Welsh regiment badge. Search ebay for "the welsh" hat pin/badge (see below)

Trenchcoat
: any long OD green or drab trenchcoat will do I was lucky to get a BUrberry like he wears for under £70 from the U.S

Shirt and Tie
are standard just look for a greenish shirt and dark green tie.

Tunic
: Any WW1 reinactment tunic will do, it's mainly covered anyway

Sam Browne belt and holster
: These are optional but finish it off nicely, check ebay for "Sam Browne Belt" my Holster is a webley from my Indy costume and is genuine WW1 issued.

Breeches WW1 or WW2 Officers breeches, make your own I did

Boots Equestrian riding boots knee length are best.

Rifle: His Rifle is a Springfield with telescopic scope but any similar gun will do (be careful though I can't get my into most events)

Below are some reference image from my collection of over 1000 SP images.

Good luck

"Oh and one last thing..try to work together"

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, everyone! First off, I have to say I'm amazed at everyone's work on these costumes. You're all extremely talented.

So anyway, I've been working on a Babydoll costume for Halloween, and since I'm ridiculously broke, I ordered the plastic version of the BD katana that they're selling at all costume sites. Problem is, the site that sold it to me advertised it as including the scabbard but it didn't, so I was wondering if anyone has one they don't want anymore that they'd like to sell (for cheap, haha) or if you know where I could get one.

Thanks in advance and good luck working on your costumes!

Hi, everyone! First off, I have to say I'm amazed at everyone's work on these costumes. You're all extremely talented.

So anyway, I've been working on a Babydoll costume for Halloween, and since I'm ridiculously broke, I ordered the plastic version of the BD katana that they're selling at all costume sites. Problem is, the site that sold it to me advertised it as including the scabbard but it didn't, so I was wondering if anyone has one they don't want anymore that they'd like to sell (for cheap, haha) or if you know where I could get one.

If we are talking Rubies then they probably didn't include the scabbard because it would peel the decals off. I'll ask around but I think most make them :confused

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh, Paul - you are a lifesaver!! I have more than enough info now!!

I can't wait to see finished shots of your costume, you are going to look amazing!!

So thank you thank you thank you!!

Dani

I don't suppose anyone has any images or ref. showing that Babydoll's fun holster somehow connects to the scabbard? I client of mine mentioned wanting her's modified and stated it was 'more accurate' and I can't for the life of me see any evidence of such? She was supposed to send me screen caps, but never did.

I had the same problem and after hours of digging and phone calls I was informed by a vendor in New York that there was an error at the manufacturer level (Rosie's) with the item description and there were never any scabbards made or delivered.

JB

hummn i found these 2 screen caps of Babydoll from behind, i cant see how it could be attached to the holster, maybe they just looped the strap under the holster at the front to make it more stable?
the pic in the artbook shows the same too, doesnt seem to be connected as such :/

Emily Browning Online Gallery: Click image to close this window

hope this help! lemme know if you want a picture of the picture in the book :)

xx

I don't suppose anyone has any images or ref. showing that Babydoll's fun holster somehow connects to the scabbard? I client of mine mentioned wanting her's modified and stated it was 'more accurate' and I can't for the life of me see any evidence of such? She was supposed to send me screen caps, but never did.

Eee gosh! nearly bought one thinking it came with the scabbard! got a wooden boken +scabbard instead that i can just spray, its a pretty cheap option too :)
Good luck getting your katana :D xx

I had the same problem and after hours of digging and phone calls I was informed by a vendor in New York that there was an error at the manufacturer level (Rosie's) with the item description and there were never any scabbards made or delivered.

JB

Eee gosh! nearly bought one thinking it came with the scabbard! got a wooden boken +scabbard instead that i can just spray, its a pretty cheap option too :)
Good luck getting your katana :D xx

I'm planning on wearing mine in New Orleans at Voodoo fest and was concerned about getting through the gates with anything more spohisticated than plastic. I've been mulling it over and my best scabbard idea so far is to mod a pvc pipe with a heat gun and faux finish it. :)

ahh that sounds fab! yeah i think that idea could deffo work. im meant to be going out on halloween night into town, hope the bouncers are ok with my wooden scabbard/katana! tho saying that, i went as Gogo Yubari last year and made the mace ball+chain and they didnt even second look it haha! :p x

I'm planning on wearing mine in New Orleans at Voodoo fest and was concerned about getting through the gates with anything more spohisticated than plastic. I've been mulling it over and my best scabbard idea so far is to mod a pvc pipe with a heat gun and faux finish it. :)

hummn i found these 2 screen caps of Babydoll from behind, i cant see how it could be attached to the holster, maybe they just looped the strap under the holster at the front to make it more stable?
the pic in the artbook shows the same too, doesnt seem to be connected as such :/

hope this help! lemme know if you want a picture of the picture in the book :)

xx

Not attached to the scabbard that I can see. Also Zack mentions a fair bit in the Maximum Movie mode about the design and you can see the scabbard and strap seperate from the holster rig in the picture gallery :)

I have the book in PDF format so it's easy to refer to it and import images to here. :cool

Oh my gosh, Paul - you are a lifesaver!! I have more than enough info now!!

I can't wait to see finished shots of your costume, you are going to look amazing!!

So thank you thank you thank you!!

Dani

You're welcome :)

Here's what I have so far

314323_10150384391440081_567675080_10234622_367752436_n.jpg

There's just no way to see how the katana strap and holster intersect/interact underneath the collar, which also gives you the latitude to do whatever works best for you! With my wife's babydoll, the weight of the sword necessitated connecting the katana to the holster (we just used a safety pin through the strap and an existing hole in the holster) to keep it from falling way out of where it should stay. There's no way they did the stunts that they did without having the two connected in some way - but I encourage them to be connected not for accuracy, but for ease and comfort of wear.

There's just no way to see how the katana strap and holster intersect/interact underneath the collar, which also gives you the latitude to do whatever works best for you! With my wife's babydoll, the weight of the sword necessitated connecting the katana to the holster (we just used a safety pin through the strap and an existing hole in the holster) to keep it from falling way out of where it should stay. There's no way they did the stunts that they did without having the two connected in some way - but I encourage them to be connected not for accuracy, but for ease and comfort of wear.

you do raise some good points. i know with my wooden bokken the weight of it in the scabbard does cause it to move around on my back which gets fairly annoying. so im thinking of trying to use the holster to steady it. x

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back