Studio scale Tantive IV

Great to see you back on this Lasse, she's looking incredible with the first painting steps. She's gonna take a lot of paint I'll bet to cover, probably add another kilo of weight too :lol.

What I love about this build Lasse is your choice of kit parts to match the prop detail, you'd really have to look very hard to tell the difference between the two. TBH, I prefer your detailing, more precise & clinical I feel.

Hey, is another video on the cards, maybe one showing your painting mate?. Iv'e watched your previous ones soooo many times now, very inspiring, even my wife is impressed by your work. Of course her comment is 'why haven't you been working this fast on your builds honey':lol.

An 1/18th Y-Wing eh, can't wait Lasse!.:cool
Stu

Establishing the paint scheme.
The paintjob on the original is rather dull and flat looking. I want to retain a close look, but i feel that a model of this size requires a more nuanced treatment, not just soot and grime. I want to give many surface panels a slightly different tone before the "dirtying up" begins...
For me it requires going back and forth, re-doing panels and balancing the look - fine tuning it. There will be adjustments made to what you see in these pics as well...

I don`t know if i am going to make another video right now - i sold my camera gear...

All those panels in subtle differing hues look terrific Lasse, great painting skills there mate!.:cool
I had initially thought your color choice for the red was a tad too bright looking at the pics in your previous posts, but I'm guessing photography can lie considerably, as the 2nd pic in your last post looks dead on!. What red are you using Lasse if you don't mind me asking?.
Stu

Looks stunning Lasse, and i think your red is spot on. Not sure if the original model is Floquil Caboose?
Where do you paint Lasse, do you use a booth? That is one heck of a lot of paint to chuck around.......loving this.

lee

The red is Tamiya flat red, mixed with some black and some white to flatten the color. It will be toned further with oil-based washes to get the hue right.
I did all the heavy spraying outside, but the panels i just airbrush in my kitchen. Almost no dust, and whatever little there is it is dry when it hits the floor. The base white is the primary color, the panels are just thin, semi-tramsparent layers of acrylics

Paint progression. I have started weathering a portion of the model to see how it works. I have also done a second layer on some of the the red areas, refining the peeling and the tone.

I have bought a new camera and are making a video on how i paint. It is nothing surprisingly new in it, except my "back and forth" method which is not linear...

Just an incredible build to watch happen. The level of detail you've captured on this build is astounding. When I painted the Cooper RB the hardest part of it was to try and nail the subtle weathered whites and red edging and you've knocked the ball out of the park and into orbit with this one Lasse.Super job!!!
There have been some fantastic builds in/at the process of being finished this year. Great, great work. Bravo.

Very nice Lasse. The subtle toning between plates is a nice touch, love the faint streaking too, really shows off the scale of this one.

lee

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back