Starship project

REL

Sr Member
I thought all of you would like to take a look at the project I'm working on. I had to start over on it once because I didn't get the details right, as I'm making the Nemesis version and there's not a lot of info on it.

But through begging and pleading. I was able to secure some nice plans for it. She'll be 40" when done, 1/650 scale.

Thanks for looking.

http://sovereignreplicas.com

ST_27.jpg

That's a very nice start. I always love seeing the WIP pics. Thansk for sharing. Keep us updated as the project pogresses.

Wow. That thing is fantastic. If any castings come from it, surely let me know. I am impressed. I have a 41 inch Excelsior model that I was trying to restore and rebuild the secondary hull but I have done a poor job. You are a much better modeller than I am.

Josh

Thank you. I will be making a kit from it as I want to light it etc. I post my progress daily, so you can keep checking the site for updates.

Richard

Originally posted by REL@Jan 16 2006, 08:02 PM
... as I want to light it etc. ...
[snapback]1160797[/snapback]​

I was going to ask about that, but I was at work when I posted and had to keep it short :$

Looks very nice.

If I were to do a bigscale ST ship it would be either the Ent E or Voyager. I really like the long slender designs.

Looking forward to more WIP shots

Cheers
Niels

Wow. That thing is fantastic. If any castings come from it, surely let me know. I am impressed. I have a 41 inch Excelsior model that I was trying to restore and rebuild the secondary hull but I have done a poor job. You are a much better modeller than I am.

Josh

Where can you aquire a 41" excelsior?

EDIT: I'm sorry, thats the lunar models kit correct?

EDIT: That E E is incredible.

Looks great - just curious if you are going to do a how-to also to go along with the pics. I would love to try making models, but have no clue how to do it. I see the start of things in your pics, and the progress and final, but have no idea how you got there. For example, how do you get the curved edges and stuff? Do you fill your initial forms with auto putty or something? Would love to read a tutorial on this stuff if anyone has some advice.

Steveo

heres a question......projected kit cost of this baby?
BTW....amazing work.........

Originally posted by REL@Jan 25 2006, 12:32 AM
Thank you for the kind words.

I'm starting on the secondary hull now.

SB9.jpg

SB10.jpg

[snapback]1167225[/snapback]​

I use an expanding A/B mixed poly foam that I get here
http://burmanfoam.com/

It's not the "foam in a can" you use for insulation, it's the professional grade stuff.

After the foam sets up I sculpt it to the ribs, then cover it with epoxy to form a hard shell, then use bondo to fill in any imperfections.

I gotta say that's some of the best work I've seen in ages. Looks really nice.

If you cast with a "hot" resin it could shrink down to a nice standard scale of 1/700th. :)

Thanks.

Yeah I should've thought more about the scale before I started this. I didn't really consider the scale, I designed it at the size I wanted, which worked out to be that scale. But it's too late to change it now.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back